PDA

View Full Version : What's the trick for M1 carbine bolt disassembly?

Oleg Volk
August 8, 2002, 10:56 PM
http://www.geocities.com/buckrodgrs/M1/TB_23-7-1/Page18.html
Tried following directions, the extractor wasn't coming out. What am I missing?

Dfariswheel
August 8, 2002, 11:59 PM
I don't know who wrote this, but first of all, "punching" the extractor out is the best way I know to break the extractor.
The carbine extractor has a lip that is engaged by the extractor plunger, which has a half round-half flat face. Trying to punch it out will either destroy the plunger or break off the retaining lip on the extractor.

There are two ways to disassemble:
The best way is to buy a bolt disassembly tool. This is not only MUCH easier, it won't ruin parts. Places like Gun Parts, and Fulton Armory, among others sell bolt tools.

The other way calls for safety glasses, four hands, and a good shot of booze.
In this method, you use a small bladed screwdriver to press the extractor plunger back into it's hole while pushing the extractor out with a punch. USE NO FORCE, if you try this method.

EOD Guy in VA
August 9, 2002, 12:21 AM
I totally agree.
The Bolt Disassembly Tool is the only way to go.
I got a new/unissused one for $35

johnwill
August 9, 2002, 09:46 AM
I also have to recommend the bolt disassembly tool. I took one of mine apart without it, and figured out why it's recommended! It's a piece of cake with the tool, and a PITA without it! You also don't "drive" anything out of the bolt without breaking something, it pretty much falls apart when you put pressure on all the right places at once. ;)

Don45cal
August 9, 2002, 07:30 PM
I tried to do this once. Once! I went to a local gun show and paid a gay 8.00 to fix it for me. Between the little spring and tool it was woth the 8.00.

NapAttack
August 9, 2002, 07:36 PM
Dfariswheel has it right. Do it their way and you'll destroy the extractor retaining pin and possibly the extractor too.

I've taken my bolts apart several times without a tool. It'd probably be easier with the tool but I just can't see the expense when I can do it with a couple of clamps and a pin punch.

I use a quick clamp to clamp the bolt to a table with the extractor facing up and use a small bladed screwdriver to depress the retaining pin. Once you get the retaining pin depressed the extractor will slide right out. Be careful though, the ejector is under spring pressure and you will lose it and the extractor retaining pin both. Put a folded up rag against the face of the bolt and that will keep the ejector from flying off into deep space.

The way I get it back together is to clamp the bolt to the table with a quick clamp (btw, they're rubber faced so they won't mar the bolt) then slide the ejector in and use a pin punch to compress it until the extractor will slide into place.

The extractor will hold the ejector in until you can clamp the pin punch to the table.

Compress the extractor a little more to where the extractor will slide in and out easily then clamp the pin punch to the table holding the ejector compressed. When you clamp the bolt to the table the extractor is up and the ejector is down to where it lines up perfectly with the pin punch.

Slide the extractor back out, insert the retaining pin and compress it with your screwdriver then slide the extractor in. A little tap with a rubber mallet on the extractor and the extractor will pop into place.

You're bearing against the rounded face of the retaining pin when you are installing the extractor and it'll just ride over the retaining pin down without any damage.