The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2001, 10:28 PM   #1
PVerdieck

New gun

So I decided I needed a bird gun and headed to the local shop. I looked at the various shotguns they had out and ended up taking a Browning BPS 28" 12 GA home. It was used/new. As in cosmoline on the barrel, some inside the barrel, and in mint condition. I think it was someones elses but never fired. I paid 435 + tax.

It doesn't have a manual, however. It came with 3 chokes and a tool, original box.

Anything I should know?
Old August 20, 2001, 11:58 PM   #2
Kingcreek

The BPS is a solid, dependable pumpgun. I've had no problems with my own 3.5" 12g. I've used it pretty hard on waterfowl but I no longer shoot the 3.5" shells. I do a better job on geese with the faster 3" shells. My ultramag is a tad heavy for carry but I don't mind it in the blind.
Yours should serve you well for as many years as you choose to shoot it.
Old August 22, 2001, 08:41 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The BPS is an excellent shotgun. Yours should serve you very well, and your grandchldren.

I suggest a few rounds of each clay sport, just to break it in and help you adjust to the "Feel".

Use IC or Skeet for Skeet and SCs, Modfied or Full for trap. Have fun, taking a new shotgun for a test drive usually is fun.

Buy ammo,use up, repeat....

The Browning company will probably send you a manual on request.
Old August 24, 2001, 08:36 AM   #4
Bam Bam

I have 2 BPS in 12 and 20. Love 'em both. Don't try to take it apart. The manual you did not get instructs you not to take it apart. Go to Browning's home page and order a free manual. You don't really need it, but it is nice to have. If you want more detailed information there are exploded diagrams on the Web and Cabella's catalog has take down manuals. I ordered one, it has not yet arrived.

One think about shooting trap. Since it is a bottom loader you may want to pump and expend the shell directly your shot. Then quietly slip a shell into the magazine just before your turn to fire and pump the shell into the chamber when it is your turn to shoot. I developed this method because some shooters claim that double-pumping the gun when it is your turn to shoot breaks up the rhythm. But that is a different issue.

Have fun and enjoy! Its a great gun.
Old September 4, 2001, 10:49 AM   #5
PVerdieck

Thanks for the replies.

Now, what do you guys use for cases? It didn't come with one, and it is by far the longest long gun I own. I was thinking I would like something to transport it broken down, like the cases I have seen other manufacturers sell with their guns?

Any recommendations?
Old September 4, 2001, 12:10 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Various hard cases are on sale right now at the chain stores. Relatively few takedown cases are available for pumps,mostly it's O/Us, SXSs, and SBTs.

I have a cheap, hard,two gun case, but it's too dran long for a compact car. If you run across a deal on a TD case, please post it here....
Old September 19, 2001, 09:30 PM   #7
PVerdieck

Was New Gun - Found Browning cases

Allright, I didn't search too hard.

I ended up with a Browning case, for 100 + tax and shipping. I found an ad on GunsAmerica by Quality Arms

http://www.gunshop.com/quala1.htm

Wow! Some serious shotguns here...