The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Tommitch

40 S&W

I have a quick question. I am new to reloading and could use some help from loaders. I plan to do 40 S&W using HP 38 powder and 165 gn bullets. Does anyone else reload 40 S&W? I want to know what powder charge and what OAL seems to be working the best for people. I've found the best sources of info are from experienced loaders who actually use e same stuff.....any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Tommitch; November 7, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old November 7, 2016, 04:49 PM   #2
lamarw

I reload for subject round, but I do not use your combination of powder and bullets.

I would highly recommend you refer to a loading manual and use prescribed recipes. You may also be able to find the recipe you are desiring by googling the powder you are using. All the power companies seem to publish free recipes. I would start with the minimum recipe and work up but not exceed the maximum.

Good luck with it.
Old November 9, 2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Don P

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and do yourself a favor. Buy, read reloading manuals. Lyman, and Lee both put out good informative books. As the above states ALL powder manufacturers have recipes on line and if you cannot find the info needed they have techs staff to answer your phone callsand questions
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.