The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2013, 04:25 AM   #1
malphil

Help please

Hi if this is in the wrong section please tell me

Im looking for info on a Anson Deeley 12g side by side shotgun, any help would be appreciated.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Right section but you provide nest to nothing as far as basic information. Pictures help as does descriptions and any stampings. Is it a boxlock? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxlock_action
Old September 15, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, "Anson & Deeley" were the British patent designers of the most commonly-made boxlock SxS double shotgun action used today - aka the generic Gold Standard for boxlocks.

There was also "Deeley & Hedge", "Greener", and some others, who experimented & made a differently-designed boxlock actions, in the 1800's & early 1900's, which eventually fell by the wayside - as every maker went over to the better A&D design.

A&D leased their several patents out to a multitude various gunmakers, too many more to list, for the actual manufacture.

Additionally, the two designers also each had their own design for the forend release/latch mechanism, one a pushbutton on the FE tip, the other a downward-pivoting latch in the middle of the FE wood.

A&D, did make a design model, and some complete guns around 1875 - Is that what you're looking at, or just a SxS stamped with "A&D" as a quality advertisement ?

Last edited by PetahW; September 16, 2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old September 15, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Yep, as mentioned, A&D developed an d patented the basic boxlock design everyone uses today, so more info is required to help you.....pics, proof marks, etc. will all help in that regard
Old September 16, 2013, 01:17 AM   #5
malphil

Thanks for the info, i only have one picture the guy sent me, i am still waiting on the other pics, i haven't seen the shotgun myself, i just wanna know if its worth buying or not

sorry for the small pic ill try to get better
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side by side.jpg (26.8 KB, 8 views)
Old September 16, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Without knowing the maker or country of origin, value cannot be determined form that single pic alone
Old September 16, 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
PetahW

malphil - How can we tell you if it's worth buying or not, since you haven't quoted the asking price ?

The original 1875 A&D complete SxS's I've seen were rather more fancy than the pic you've shown, since the new actions were their showpiece.

The gun pictured was definitely made for the European hunting market - witness the sling loops installed, most common there.

The only way to tell exactly who the maker was, and where it's from, would be to unhook the barrels after removing the forend, and examining the various proofmarks on every European firearm - one of which may very well be a "maker's mark", and there may also be a date code for when it was made.

Besides any top rib markings indicating the maker, the proof/date/maker's marks are usually stamped into both the action and bbl flats, as well as in the bottom of the rear portion of the barrels.