The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2012, 06:33 PM   #1
wbw

Any short barreled, 20ga, semi-autos?

I just cruised through 5 or 6 pages of shotguns on Gun Broker to try and get a feel for if there are any of these. Did'nt really see any. I'm the guy who had the thread last week about the Rossi Circuit Judge in .410. But before I jump on that ship, I was wondering if there are any short barreled (as in 18.5 or 19 inch), semi-autos in 20ga. I want short barrel because I see this as pretty much for home defense and not skeet or hunting. Trying not to use the dreaded 'T' word (tactical). But if I'm pulling this thing out from under the bed in the middle of the night, I think short will be better than some 26" barreled shotgun.

So are there any 20ga, semi-autos with a short barrel?

Thanks for any help.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
mete

Benelli used to have one .I just gave them a quick look but couldn't find one.Hunters looking for grouse like the short barrels.
I assume you want the 20 for light recoil ? About the best for HD is a 12ga 'reduced recoil' 00 buck.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3
wbw

You are correct. I'm looking for light recoil. Not just for me. I would want my wife to be able to use this if necessary.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
oneounceload

For light recoil, you'll want the heaviest gun with the lightest loads. For most folks using a shotgun for HD, the requirements seem to be the opposite - a lighter gun with some heavy loads

You might be able to find an 1100 and get a short barrel for it
Old August 28, 2012, 07:50 AM   #5
dalecooper51

You could check into a youth model. IIRC, Remington makes a 20 ga 1187 with a 21" barrel. The stock would need to be replaced for a standard length one, but stocks are normally much cheaper than new barrels. I kept a 20ga youth 870 as a general purpose camping/garden gun for a few years.

I would be willing to bet that a number of other manufacturers offer short and light 20 ga guns for younger and smaller shooters but I haven't really looked. Just make sure to have the gun fitted to the smallest person that will be using it. It is much easier to adapt to a stock that is slightly too short than too long.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:42 AM   #6
hermanpj

Weatherby SA-459 TR

Look at the Weatherby SA-459 TR.

19 inch barrel, semi auto. Comes in 20 or 12 ga.

I have the turkey model in 12 ga (cammo stocks, 2 inch longer barrel and comes w full choke instead of cylinder choke)

I love mine. They are not made in USA however. Weatherby has them made in Turkey by Armsan. I think you can get a Mossberg 930 in short barrel 20 ga - but you'd have to look at their website. THat would be made in USA.
Old August 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
wbw

hermanpj Thanks for the tip on the Weatherby. I'm going to look into that.
Old August 28, 2012, 06:21 PM   #8
hermanpj

sure man. here's a pic of mine: SA 459 TR.jpg
Old August 29, 2012, 07:50 AM   #9
wbw

Very nice. Thanks.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:03 AM   #10
hermanpj

Also FWIW I have ordered a +3 extension from Choate. It was $48 plus shipping. You order the one for Benelli Nova, as this is a European made gun and has thread patterns (e.g. chokes, tubes) common to some European guns, like Benellis, Beretta Extremas, but not same patterns a Remmington, for example.

Also Weatherby for some reason decided 5 total rounds was enough, so they don't make the mag tube easy to extend. you have to dremel off a little flange at the end of the mag tube that currently holds the spring in place. I plan to order a replacement tube from Weatherby as a spare part just in case, and modify my original one so that I can have 7+1 capacity.

They may refuse to sell it or tell me the spare or tell me if I install it I'm voiding my warranty. Whatever. The gun's operating mechanism simple and its 1/3 the cost of of a Benelli so I'm not worried.

Choate's mag extensions come in +2, +3 and +4. The +2 should work on the TR guns without protruding beyond the barrel, where the +3 work on the turkey model with their longer barrel. The +4 would extend an inch past the end of the screw in, ported choke, and I do not prefer that, so I'm sticking with the +3. The Choate tubes (unlike Nordic which is twice the cost, and Tacstar, which is same cost) come with a barrel clamp, btw.

I expect I'll get the tube Friday or Saturday. Have CHL class on Saturday so I'm guessing I'll do the modifications on Sunday or Monday. Will document and post the procedure.
Old August 29, 2012, 01:09 PM   #11
wbw

I just discovered that Mossberg has an SA-20 TR. I'll have to research that one also. I didn't notice it the first time through my research.
Old August 30, 2012, 10:52 PM   #12
hermanpj

Also a good brand! Never had their autos, but i had a pump mossberg that was great
Old August 31, 2012, 04:16 AM   #13
Sport45

Why semi-auto? A pump will be reliable with a wider range of ammunition.

Semi's and low recoil shells may not be a good mix.
Old August 31, 2012, 02:19 PM   #14
hermanpj

Once you find a load thats good you stick w it for home defense.

Versatility is a good argument for pumps but if you plan on settling on a choice of load then once you do verify it runs good a semi is just fine
Old September 1, 2012, 11:58 PM   #15
hermanpj

procedure for barrel extension on Weatherby SA 459

WBW,

if you decide to get a weatherby SA 459 20 ga, this procedure I wrote after adding a mag extension to my 12 ga will work - just measure and order the right length of barrel extension so you dont have it sticking out then end past the end of barrel

Weatherby SA-459 TK Extension Procedure.pdf

Enjoy
Old September 3, 2012, 07:37 AM   #16
wbw

Thanks for your help.
Old September 3, 2012, 09:31 AM   #17
PeterGreg

Remington Special Field
Old September 4, 2012, 01:53 PM   #18
Webleymkv

The Saiga 20 is available with a 19" barrel.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/IZ-105.html