The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 26, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1
JustinBiscuit

HK USP Compact for Wife

Well it finally happened. Wife had a close call with some guy while on a walk with our son. The guy stopped this truck, got out and tried to "tickle" the baby.

Thankfully she was able to move quickly back home with no incident however she is now convinced having a gun around that she can use is a good idea.

After some shooting/shopping she likes the USP Compact 9mm. She handled the recoil of .45, .40, 9mm and smaller, however I noticed it took much longer to get follow up shots on larger calibers. Her biggest issues were length to the trigger and/or racking the pistol. Of course the only gun we could not shoot was the USP in any caliber however at the store she was very comfortable with it.

I'm a big fan of HK (German guns) so could not be happier. Plus the USP has external safety so I can leave it cocked and locked.

Question 1. Any disadvantages with USP Compact?
Question 2. Any women shooters with experiences?
Question 3. There seem to a bunch of used compact .40's on the market. Any experiences with recoil differences from 9mm?
Old August 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #2
comn-cents

I had one in 40 and it had a good amount of recoil, it seemed to recoil more than thier 45 fullsize. I carried it for a few years but got ride of it and went with a 9mm carry gun.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
pax

If she's a newer shooter, go with either the 9mm or the .45ACP -- whichever she prefers. The snap-like recoil from a .40 tends to create bad habits in new shooters.

pax
Old August 26, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Armchair Commando

I carry an HK P30 in 9mm (slightly bigger than USP compact but very similar configuration) and I LOVE IT. As far as calibre, with today's ammunition, I certainly don't feel under-gunned carrying a 9mm. And as you stated, she's probably going to get faster follow up shots with a gun that recoils less. Regardless, I think a USP compact is an excellent choice for a firearm. Just my .02. Stay safe.

-AC

EDIT:

To answer your 3 question
1) The mag release is a little "funky" being that it's on the trigger guard. Really not a big deal once you get used to the gun. If it's her first firearm it might not be that big of a deal at all. Most of the time it's the guys who are used to a push-button mag release that have an issue.

2) I'm not a woman, but I know/have seen women conceal larger handguns than a USP compact. Of course this will also depend on where you live. I live in AZ where its 115 degrees in the summer and people don't wear more than they have to. But if you lived in a colder climate, you'd wear heaver clothes which would conceal a weapon easier. If you own a similar sized handgun to a USPc and a holster, let her try it on with what she would normally wear and see how comfortable/concealable it is for her.

3) I don't own a USP in 40, but as you can imagine there will be an increase in the felt recoil. As I said before, with today's ammunition (I use GoldDot 147gr +P Hollow points) I don't feel under-gunned. If she's comfortable with a 40, I'd say go for it, If not, the 9mm is nothing to sneeze at. Also take into consideration ammo prices for practice.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Armchair Commando; August 26, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Austin HiPowers

I own a USP Compact in 9mm. It is a little heavy for EDC (so I carry my Glock), but trust my life on it. Very good gun.
Old August 26, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Could also consider the P2000. A little more ergonomic and the changeable backstraps make it really easy to adjust for women's hands. Still just as reliable as the USP compact. Can't do cocked and locked though, though if this is for the wife and not for you you have to figure out whether or not that is a concern.

Biggest gripe people usually have is the mag release is a little small. There is a factory release that is larger that can be installed in a minute or so. Other than that you really want to figure out what trigger variant works best for her.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #7
TheRaskalKing

I just purchased a USP compact in 9mm this weekend. Put 200 rounds down the pipe without a hiccup, and it's MUCH easier and softer to shoot than my XDM 4.5 in .40. I can definitely recommend it. It's small enough to easily conceal, and cocked and locked is always a great option.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:29 AM   #8
thedudeabides

USPc...

The recoil for the 45 is huge, despite their little polymer shock absorber thingy they put in the captive spring. 9mm is manageable. Accuracy is so-so. The grips are one size fits all with no replaceable plates like the newer HK's. They also have a useless HK proprietary rail.

They typically don't have spurred hammers, so good luck recocking the low profile smooth hammer. I'm guessing HK expects you to carry it cocked with the safety on?

DA travel is looooong. SA is smooth. The thumb release for the magazine is in a strange and awkward position and it's SMALL compared to full sized HK's, but as a plus can be popped with your middle finger if you have large hands.

IMO, they're not worth the grand you'll pay for one, and that's usually without the night sights. Good ones run used for 500-600. I traded my USPc for an HK45 full size.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:10 AM   #9
Undrpsi

USP is good...what else have you tried?

I have a USP compact in .40 and it's definetly 'snappy'. You can carry it locked and cocked which some prefer. It fills the hand so if she likes the way it feels then you're good (cause it has no grip adjustments). I have a Glock 23c that's a little softer because of the compensator (not to mention my ported 'mystery Sig' P229 in .40). The USP full size is supposed to be a lot softer shooting because of the patented recoil reducing spring...don't know. I do know the compacts just get a nylon recoil bushing. I have shot the 9mm full size but it was during a long range session with friends...seemed to be generic in it's characteristics. Unless you're wife is really into shooting (and considers a 'desert eagle' fun to shoot)...I don't think I would stick her with a .40 for 'purse carry'. That's not to say women can't shoot it. I wouldn't stick her with the .45 ACP (but you can buy it and give it to me ). Again, unless she will dedicated and practice (a lot) the smooth but robust recoil impulse can be daunting.

Something to think about...will this be a 'car gun'? Ever discharged a weapon in a car? (I have in training several times)...a .45, .40, and, let's be honest, 9mm going off in a car is like a grenade. Flash, smoke, and report can break anyone's concentration unless you use a smaller round or practice for it...just saying...My car gun is a puny .32 ACP because I can empty the entire mag, on target, without being disorentatied by the discharge. I do carry heavier most times but if I have to pop a guy through the drivers window this works fine (and loaded with Hornady 'Zombie Killer' PDX rounds).

When my wife wanted an EDC I shoved everything that I thought "I" would like at her. That was frustrating...so I let her pick through the 40 or so that I and my friends have. My wife tried several sub-compacts and finally wound up with a S&W Bodyguard in .380 (loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds). This fits in all but her smallest pocketbooks and easily fits in the pocket of her scrubs (she's a nurse). It's not a 9mm but at close range using Hornady's you get a simiiar damage profile....just saying...

Having posted all that BS...the USP is a superb weapon. It's operation is smooth as glass and, like most german weapons, built like a swiss watch. You can't go wrong with it...it IS one of the best 9mm compacts out there. Matter of fact, looking to get me one in full-size next month if I can catch it on sale. So if you're both leaning toward the 9mm compact...go for it!

EDIT: What about a Glock 19 gen 4? 2/3rds the cost of the HK with adjustable grip and, well, it's a Glock!

Cheers!

Jay

Last edited by Undrpsi; August 27, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old August 27, 2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
If she's a newer shooter, go with either the 9mm or the .45ACP -- whichever she prefers. The snap-like recoil from a .40 tends to create bad habits in new shooters.
Ms. Jackson is one of the best sources of information on female shooters and what guns suit them well you'll find anywhere---I'd listen to her OP (I agree with her btw)

The USP9c is a fine handgun. If she likes it, I say go for it and make sure she trains with it.

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; August 27, 2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old August 27, 2012, 09:06 AM   #11
PSP

Having her invested in the choice of pistol goes a long way toward her advancing in proficiency IMHO. The HK USPc is one of my personal favorites, as I find it easy to shoot well, soft in recoil and has controls I like. I own several HKs but the USPc is the one that people ask to shoot the most and has resulted in several people purchasing their own pistol.

Last edited by PSP; August 27, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old August 27, 2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Coltman 77

I totally agree with PSP and plouffedaddy. If your wife likes the USP Compact, absolutely go for it in 9mm.

HK makes accurate, dead nuts reliable handguns you can bet your life on. They go bang every time with any ammo they're fed.

Good luck, keep us updated on your situation.
Old August 27, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
LockedBreech

Your wife has good taste. Given how well the build quality of HK tolerates .40 and .45, an HK 9mm should last just about from now to Armageddon.
Old August 27, 2012, 11:42 PM   #14
Skavatar

the older (late 1990's, early 2000's) USP compacts had one recoil spring. i traded my 40 compact in for a full sized with an extra recoil spring. not sure if they changed anything with the current USP compacts. the full size is less snappy than the compact.

my wife is 5'2" she doesn't like the recoil of either, nor the aggressive grips.

i've only shot the usp 40 and usp 45. the 40 is snappier than the 45.
Old August 28, 2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Sulaco

I really like my USP compact in 45. I'd imagine the 9mm is a sweet shooter. H&K makes some quality stuff.

Have you guys messed with any Kahr handguns? They are smaller overall and seem to do well for women. The steel framed models soak up recoil well also. I've seen them at really good prices both new and used. I had a CM9 which was an awesome little gun, just too small for my hands.
Old August 29, 2012, 09:56 AM   #16
ripper327

I'm nudging my wife down the road to concealed carry and had her give all my pieces a go. I had hoped she'd pick the USPc .45 but she favors the Glock 19. That said, the .45 (recoil, etc) was no problem for her, and she liked it far greater than the Sig 232. The cocked/locked aspect was what I really liked for her, especially as a purse gun (compared to the Glock). Maybe a 9mm USPc would be a good compromise..she's 5'7, proportionate weight, but fairly thin/weak arms. Hope any of this helps.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Mystro

My wife likes to shoot and she has shot enough to know what a good gun feels like. I bought her a USP Compact 9mm years ago and she loves it. I like it as well. I like the design and that it has a safty and can be carried cocked and locked.
You won't regret buying quality.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #18
ScotchMan

Make sure she holds a P30 and/or a P2000. The P2000sk is even smaller but just as nice a shooter. They are all essentially updated versions of the USP (the P2000 is identical in size to the USP Compact). I find the ergonomics on all of them to be far superior. I don't understand why anyone would buy a USP or USPc today with the exception of a good deal on a used one. The P30 is, in my opinion, superior to the USP in every way, and the P2000 is, in my opinion, superior to the USPc in every way.

My EDC is a P2000sk in LEM. I also own an HK45, and used to own a USPc. Great handguns, great choices.

Old August 30, 2012, 10:22 AM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would buy a USP or USPc today with the exception of a good deal on a used one.
For me it was for a much cheaper option for a 45. I had a HK45c but, as we've discussed, the trigger sucked. I found the trigger on the USPc 45 to be much better and they can be found for a few hundred less, used ones even less. If they made a P2000 in 45 I'd be all over it .

That said I agree that the ergos on the P series are much better, and I find I can get my hand a little higher which I like too.

As for carry. While the texture of the USPc series is great for shooting, I find carrying it against bare skin drives me nuts. Just a thought.
Old August 30, 2012, 11:59 AM   #20
ScotchMan

Yeah, the double action on the HK45/c is another point I guess. I've taken to cocked and locked being SOP with my HK45 so I guess I forgot that point. I didn't realize the USPs were nicer in that area.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:04 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Yeah, the double action on the HK45/c is another point I guess. I've taken to cocked and locked being SOP with my HK45 so I guess I forgot that point. I didn't realize the USPs were nicer in that area.
From the ones I've handled it's really only the HK45/c that has that really rough DA.

I wish HK would have some standardization in their newer pistols. You can get a USP in every caliber and fullsize and compact. But you need a HK45 for 45 and then a P30 for the rest caliber wise. Then if you want a compact in 9mm or 40SW you have to go with the P2000, not a P30 c. Idk, minor gripe.
Old August 30, 2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Patriot86

My wife and for that I do not like the snappy feeling of the 40 S&W. If your wife is of the smaller variety like mine I would not reccomend a firearm chambered in 40S&W as her first gun. Plus once ammo starts to go down after the election 50 round boxes of 9mm will be $4-5 cheaper than 40S&W, meaning she can do a lot more shooting.
Old September 1, 2012, 05:50 AM   #23
BGutzman

My wife tried my buddies H&K USP and didnt like how it handles recoil. The pistol itself is pure quality but for wahtever reason neither one of us enjoyed shooting it...

I dont know what to say... Im a H&K fan but it is what it is...
Old September 2, 2012, 09:52 PM   #24
JustinBiscuit

Follow-up

Thank you for your help and advice. We picked up her new USP Compact today.

Really hope we never need it!

Old September 3, 2012, 06:42 AM   #25
Mrgunsngear

Awesome! Congrats---now train her up...

I hope you never have to use it either.