The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Fusion

Problem with RCBS .380 seating die cutting into bullets.

So I finally got around to actually charging the cases and seating the bullets for my first batch of .380 ammo. Now, I've run into yet another problem. As I try to seat the bullet, I try to sit it fairly straight on top of the case while running it up into the press, but it seems like if it's not nearly perfect, the RCBS seating die cuts into the bullet on the side. Anyone seen this?

Now this is the first time I've used RCBS pistol dies. I thought it much be something rough on the seating stem, but I took it apart and all looked fine. All I can figure is that the seating stem isn't really shaped like a funnel type shape like the Lee dies, and so it has to be nearly perfectly straight or the side of the seating stem will dig into the bullet. On the Lee dies it seems like they are more of a funnel shape, so if the bullet isn't perfectly straight instead of digging it in, it straightens the bullet. Anyone seen this? What's the solution to it? Out of 100 rounds I got about 10 that have cuts in the bullet from the seater stem.
Old March 6, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Cajun Ken

I started trying to reload .380 last fall. The first problem I had was with the Expander Die. Instead of belling the mouth of the case it was wrinkling and crushing it. It turns out that the expander Die was for a .38. I called RCBS and they sent me a .380 Die. The other problem I had was with the Seater Die. I couldn't get it to seat properly and it was cutting a groove on the bullet. I called RCBS and they sent me a new plug for the Die. That solved my problem.
If you haven't called RCBS about your problem, I suggest you do so.

Good luck.
Old March 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #3
howlnmad

I'd either try to polish the imside edge of the seater plug or give RCBS a call. There customer service is fantastic. Hell, send them a bullet and they'll custom grĂ­nd you a seater plug. For a small price that is.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:16 PM   #4
dunerjeff

Many of their die sets have 2 seater plugs on for round the other hollow point type.Did your set have both,you could try the other if so. I've made my own in the past and make the end so it matches the bullet and is more rounded without the edge.As stated RCBS has other versions that will probably work.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Fusion

Thanks guys. Mine didn't have both and just came with the one seater plug. Sounds like I need to give them a call. I almost wonder if this one was for hollow points. I think I could probably grind this one to smooth it out, but I'm kind of afraid to do that as I don't want to ruin it and then have to buy another plug.