The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 29, 2009, 08:03 PM   #1
olyinaz

Another new rifle thread

A bunch lately! Well, here's another. Remington 700 SPS Varmint, .223 26" barrel, Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock, Nikon Monarch 4x16 Side Focus scope with the mil dot reticle.

It came with a 4x16 scope that was, unfortunately, a throw away and the original stock was solid enough but not of a free floating design. I despise the name of the Choate stock (and especially that they've stamped it onto the side of the stock) but I really like the massive aluminum bedding v-block and the plastic is a much more sturdy type than the original Rem unit. It's obnoxiously heavy though as a result but with that 26" varmint barrel (in .223 no less) it was never going to be a light or handy rifle so it all mates up pretty well I think.

I love the side focus feature of the scope. The optics are great from about 4-12 with 14x and especially 16x just a bit less sharp due to noticeable chromatic fringing but honestly it's very very good and for this money (about $350) I am guessing that it's as good as any I'm going to find (I didn't look through any that were better at a similar price point). I'd really dig a nice $1000+ scope but it's just not in the cards and I don't even have that much in this whole rig.

I've only got about a hundred rounds through it but I did get some very nice sub MOA groups out of a WWB 45gr varmint loading that specs 3600fps. I'm hoping that out of my 26" barrel I'm getting at least that.

Thanks for looking and comments (of any sort) welcome!

Best,
Oly
Old September 30, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
alaskaman94

very nice. im wanting to build one kind of like that soon