The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 17, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1
TargetTerror

P6/P225 suitable for IPSC?

I own a Sig P6, with a number of mags. Would this gun be suitable for any of the local IPSC/USPAS competitions? I'm not that worried about being competitive, as even with a full race gun I would still be the limiting factor. I just want to get started in competitive action shooting.

Would I be better served by a full size gun that can carry at least 10 rounds? Also, 9mm is suitable for IPSC, I'd just likely have a minor power factor, right?
Old April 17, 2008, 11:40 PM   #2
PPGMD

The P6 would not be the first gun that I would choose for USPSA or IPSC production division. I don't think it's on the approved list anyways (but clubs will still let you run it anyways).

I would probably run a 220, 226, or a 229 for USPSA or IPSC. 9mm is probably the best round for production division as there is no major power factor scoring.

One thing that I would do with a Sig would be to change out the main springs, put a 17 or 18 lb spring in (if it uses a plastic base). A trigger job either a Bruce Gray Competition Package, or the Sig SRT, and AEP (I prefer the Bruce Gray work, much lighter double action pull).

I use a 226R ST with a Gray Guns Inc Competition Short Reset Package. I used to run a CZ SP-01 with a CZ Custom shop trigger job but I prefer the Sig the double action pull is much much better then the CZ.
Old April 18, 2008, 12:08 AM   #3
TargetTerror

The P6 doesn't strike me as a first choice either, but it is the only auto I own right now. If the primary issue was just the magazine capacity, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I just don't want to have to build up my action shooting body of technique around the limitations of a specific gun.

I'm considering a Glock, as reliability is about as high as you'll get, and aftermarket support is huge if I get serious. On that note, is it worth modding a 9mm gun for IPSC, or would I be at a huge advantage since I couldn't make major?
Old April 18, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Zak Smith

If it's what you have, shoot it by all means. I would recommend having at least 6 magazines for it, and mag holders for at least 4.

-z
Old April 18, 2008, 10:14 AM   #5
PPGMD

If it's what you own, run it, but chances are unless you have a high pain threshold, if you want to be competitive you are going to want to move up quickly.

Glocks are always a safe bet, but if they don't point naturally for you, they can be harder to work with in a fast moving sport like USPSA. Reliability isn't too much of a big deal, you don't need a gun that can go 10,000 rounds without lube, you just need the gun to survive 100-250 rounds.
Old April 18, 2008, 11:38 AM   #6
TargetTerror

Quote:
If it's what you own, run it, but chances are unless you have a high pain threshold, if you want to be competitive you are going to want to move up quickly.
Why exactly will I want to move up to a different gun? I think I have some reasons, but I want to hear your opinion.
Old April 18, 2008, 01:46 PM   #7
PPGMD

Heavier so it mitigates recoil better, you have actual magazine capacity of 10+1 rounds, greater sight radius so you can be more accurate on those longer shots, and there is are more 3rd party modifications that you can make to them.
Old April 18, 2008, 01:58 PM   #8
TargetTerror

Are there any mods I could really do to it while staying within the production class? It will be a while before I'm ready for Open...
Old April 18, 2008, 03:06 PM   #9
PPGMD

Grips, trigger, guide rod, sights, there are a ton of things that you can do and stay within the rules in the production division. My gun has $500 worth of work done to it. It's no limited or open gun, but there is still changes you can make to optimize a gun to the production class competition.
Old April 19, 2008, 01:05 AM   #10
glockopop

In production class, everyone is scored minor no matter what caliber they shoot, so 9mm is the way to go. I started out shooting major with a Glock in .40, and eventually wished it was a 9mm. I have since gotten a 9mm Glock.

If you're in it to improve, not to win major matches, there's nothing wrong with a P6. I would recommend doing something about the double action pull, as they tend to be reeeeeaallly stiff. The skinny mags will make you better at hitting your reloads precisely if you do ever move up to a double stack gun.

As far as the weight issue, some people (like PPGMD) like a heavier gun, and some people, (like me) like a lighter gun. That's going to be a matter of personal preference more than anything. It'll be a long damn time before you really notice a difference.