The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Dan31

Side Money

Hello All

I'm new to this forum and as soon as I can I will be loading my own. My question is, is there anyone on here near the Renton/Bellevue area of WA who does handloading on the side for extra cash? I don't have the place to do it right now and driving to my parents house all the time would drive me nuts. Now if this something frowned upon by the forum is their anyone who wants to be "friends" with me to do it?
Its .44 special and I have been saving my brass for awhile now, I think I have about 1000 or so cases and maybe 500 or so .357 mags as well. All these years I try something new [factory load wise] and found the Cor-Bon 165 gr JHP to be a perfect match for my gun.
Old February 22, 2008, 01:50 AM   #2
freakshow10mm

In order to sell ammunition or components that you manufacture you need a Type 06 FFL like mine:

Maybe someone will let you load on their machine with your components. If you were near me I'd have you over and show you the ropes and let you load on my machines.
Old February 22, 2008, 07:05 AM   #3
zoomie

Are you wanting to sell handloads you make or just reload the brass you have?
Old February 22, 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
armoredman

freakshow, just to clarifiy, you need that FFL to sell even cast bullets? Just curious.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Sevens

I'm thinking that you would like to start reloading your own, but don't have the equipment or know-how, but worse, no space to get started, so you'd like to buy reloaded ammo from someone who is local to your area.

Most reloaders won't make ammo for other folks, even close friends, for the most part. There's a real (or imagined?) liability in running your handloads through someone else's guns. I don't think it's bad or frowned upon that you asked... and if you do find someone who is willing, I think that's terrific. But honestly, it's not going to be easy to find someone who will do that.

Myself, I started as a 16 year old at home, and learned what I was doing in a dedicated, good-sized space. Two years later, I set up the things I needed while out of state at school, and sharing a place with 6 other guys. So I know from experience when I say, "You can do this quite well with limited space." In my one little bedroom in our rented party house in college, I was successfully loading .38, .357, .45 and 10mm.

If you would like some guidance in what tools to buy and how to use them, there's a heap of folks here who are more than happy to help you the whole way through.

Another tip is to look for folks wherever it is that you shoot who reload and start up a conversation with them. And these guys are easy to find if you know what to look for. At the range, look for folks who take their ammo out of flip-top plastic boxes, and look for guys who spend half their time gathering up brass. (especially if they are shooting semi-automatics that kick them out)

You'll find most folks who reload really enjoy talking about it with other shooters and reloaders. Find someone geographically close and you may find yourself a mentor.

But when you are ready to start rolling your own, pick some brains here.
Old February 22, 2008, 10:17 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

FFL06 (but no pics)

IF you use another's fired-from-his-gun cases you incure no tax or licensing liability; any other loading-for-another does.

That ain't that clear, is it?

Rephrase: I can make ammo for you, without tax or licensing liability, if I use your fired cases.

If I use any other case I need an FFL06.
"Federal", brutha, AND them taxes ain't collected by the IRS.....
Old February 22, 2008, 11:26 AM   #7
freakshow10mm

Quote:
freakshow, just to clarifiy, you need that FFL to sell even cast bullets? Just curious.
Yes, the GCA defines ammunition as loaded ammunition or any components. That means brass, primers, bullets, and powder manufacturers need an 06 FFL to be legal.

Quote:
IF you use another's fired-from-his-gun cases you incure no tax or licensing liability; any other loading-for-another does.

That ain't that clear, is it?

Rephrase: I can make ammo for you, without tax or licensing liability, if I use your fired cases.

If I use any other case I need an FFL06.
"Federal", brutha, AND them taxes ain't collected by the IRS.....
Be carefull with this one. I'll clarify.

It is true that loaded ammunition manufactured with a customer's brass and EXACTLY THEIR BRASS and given that exact brass back to them, there is no FET. If you drop in even a single case to replace the worn out one, then FET needs to be paid upon the whole lot of ammo, which is 11%. The tax goes to the ATF's TTB (Tax and Trade Bureau).

If there is any exchange of goods, services, etc for the reloading of the brass there needs to be licensing involved. Even if they slide you a $20 for "wear and tear on your machine" or similar, you just crossed the line. There can be no compensation whatsoever. Just using their brass does not negate any licensing requirements.

The only way to dodge licensing or FET is either handload yourself or let someone else handload on your machine AND take ZERO COMPENSATION FOR IT. The ATF is pretty f-ing serious about this.
Old February 22, 2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Dan31

Looks like I'm buying a machine and driving an hour to Dads house. No biggie, its not worth the headache trying to decipher what is and what isn't legal and getting caught doing anything or nothing.

Thank you for the info though
Old February 22, 2008, 11:34 PM   #9
freakshow10mm

Can get pretty crazy.

I spoke with the ATF this afternoon about procedures for transferring ownership from a sole proprietorship to an LLC. That was fun.