The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
silver-bullet

Has Anyone Changed the Stock On Their Mossberg 500 20 Gauge?

I'm considering picking up a mossberg 500, in 20 gauge. It has a wood stock, and I'd want to change it over to a synthetic stock w/pistol grip (full length). But I notice that most of the synthetic stocks (ATI, Knoxx) all seem to specify 12 gauge. My question is: would these stocks also fit the 20 gauge, or is there a significant difference in the size of the receiver, such that aftermarket stocks are not interchangeable between 12 and 20 gauge? Thanks.
Old January 31, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Smitty in CT

The 20 GA receiver is narrower than a 12GA.

A 12GA stock will bolt up to a 20 GA receiver, but you will have a little bit of an overhang on the sides of the stock (somewhere around a 1/16" - 1/8").

If you don't mind that or if your real good with a dremel tool they'll work fine.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old January 31, 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The 12 is a TINY bit wider but many factory guns come with more overhang...
You won't notice it likely.
Brent
Old January 31, 2008, 06:45 PM   #4
silver-bullet

Bravo. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I may give it a shot (no pun intended), and go with one of those ATI collapsable stocks. I notice on their website that the stocks are described as fitting BOTH 12 and 20 gauge. Hmm....
Old February 1, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
computerguysd

I have a Knoxx stock on my 20 gauge and it fits just fine. I wanted a bedroom SD shotgun and the stock I have on it is the Knoxx SpecOps Folder.
Old February 1, 2008, 11:21 PM   #6
silver-bullet

Computerguysd,
Are you saying the Knoxx stock you bought for your 20 ga was originally made for a 12 ga? How does it fit your weapon? Any pics? Thanks for the info.