The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Jkwas

Best standard velocity 22lr ammo

I'm just getting into the "22 thing", and I was curious: What are some good standard velocity 22lr ammo, and what are the ones to avoid. Also, Is Lead better than plated? I'm getting a S&W 22A, and I've searched it out a little, most say stay away from the higher velocity ammo. What constitutes standard velocity ammo? What's the fps difference?
Lot's of questions, I know, but I'm new at this stuff.
Old October 31, 2007, 01:52 PM   #2
IM_Lugger

I preffer plated...cleaner to shoot

As for as reliability it will depend on a gun itself. Each .22 has it's favourite ammo. just buy a buch and test it all!

there's nothing wrong with hi-vel ammo it may not be as accurate but if you need a .22 as a bug hard to beat CCI Velocitors...
Old October 31, 2007, 03:37 PM   #3
MrBorland

As eluded to, the "best" rimfire ammo is the one that your gun like the best. You'll have to buy a bunch of different stuff and try them all out. Many feel this is the fun part of rimfire shooting. My personal favorite is Federal 714 Target from Dicks. $15/brick. The bulk Federal 550 from Walmart may not be that bad, and is very economical. There are lots of others to try, though.

Is lead "better"? For accuracy? Don't think there's a clear advantage of one over the other. Some find plated bullets cleaner. Also, in a rifle like the Marlin 39A with microgroove rifling, there's some concern the lead from unplated bullets can gum up the shallow rifling.

Standard velocity, as far as I know is, varies a bit according to manufacturer and barrel length. From what I've seen, standard velocity is roughly 1100fps, just below the speed of sound (1128fps), whereas subsonic is around 1000fps. High velocity (CCI minimags) runs around 1250fps, and hypervelocity (Velocitors) run around 1400 fps. Others should chime in if I'm way off.

Supersonics can be accurate, but falling below the speed of sound during flight can destabilize them, which is generally the reason touted as to why subsonics are frequently more accurate (i.e. their speed doesn't fall below the speed of sound since they never get there to begin with).

As far as what ammo to try, try searching here...or on rimfirecentral.com. - those guys really know their rimfire!
Old October 31, 2007, 03:58 PM   #4
camsdaddy

I own a 22a your expierence may vary. I shoot federal bulk ammo and velociters depending on what I am doing. I find that both shoot really well. I have shot thousands upon thousands of these and never had a prob with either and they are both accurate. The velociters are amazing on a armidillo.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:22 PM   #5
snail

My Buckmark likes the Federal Champion bricks from Dick's and Academy. As far as my personal choice for the "best" 22LR round, CCI gets the nod. I like the standard velocity (1050 fps) the most. Pretty much any CCI ammo is good quality stuff. The only problem is it is more expensive than bulk packs. You might find that your gun likes the Remington thunderbolt, or subsonics too. They also come in bulk packs and are usualy good ammo.
Old October 31, 2007, 04:39 PM   #6
carguychris

Three good brands that I like and are generally easy to find are Wolf Match Target, CCI Standard Velocity (duh), and Winchester Super-X T22 Target. If you buy the Winchester, make sure the box says "T22 Target" because they make about 7-8 flavors of Super-X ammo that come in more-or-less identical silver boxes.

I'm not sure why anyone would tell you to "stay away" from high-velocity ammo unless they were a competitive target shooter. Granted, most types of cheap and truly lousy .22 ammo are high-velocity, such as the Federal Wally World $9.88 bulk pack and Remington Thunderbolt (IMHO of course), while most standard-velocity brands on the market are high-quality stuff geared towards target shooters. OTOH this doesn't mean that ALL high-velocity .22 ammo sucks. Good types such as CCI Mini-Mags, Aguila SuperExtra, and the pricier Winchester varieties are almost as accurate as the standard velocity target stuff, yet typically cost less and come with plated bullets that won't foul your barrel as fast. It all boils down to whether "almost" is good enough- IMHO for plinking and informal paper punching, I think yes, but YMMV.
Old October 31, 2007, 05:08 PM   #7
MrBorland

Carguychris makes a good point. What's "good" and "accurate" is pretty subjective.

As far as the accuracy of HV, though, according to the CCI ballistics table, their HV has a muzzle velocity of 1215fps, faster than the Speed of Sound, but it drops drops to 1019 fps at 50yds, which is just below the SoS. Again, the transition from supersonic to subsonic can destabilize a bullet in flight. Depending on your gun, or maybe whether it's being fired from a rifle or handgun, it may or may not go subsonic and accuracy may or may not drop off. OTOH, the velocity of Velocitors stays supersonic at 50 yds by a pretty good margin, and will likely not drop below the SoS, even if fired from a handgun. All this isn't to say HVs aren't accurate, but just that they may be more accurate in some guns but not others or at some distance, but not longer.
Old October 31, 2007, 05:12 PM   #8
cohoskip

The best

target pistol I ever owned was a Hi Standard Trophy. I tried shooting high velocity ammo in it and ended up at the gunsmith. Then I was informed to shoot only standard velocity ammo. No more problems. I didn't know that it was designed only for standard velocity...

NRA Life Member
Old October 31, 2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Shooters Plus

For plinking I have always had good, consistent results with the CCI Mini Mags. Pretty darn accurate also.

www.shootersplus.com
Guns for Sale! Glock, Colt, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, HK and many more! Wilson Combat 1911 parts and accessories
Old October 31, 2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Rey B

I have been getting good results with Federal Auto Match in my 22S.
Old October 31, 2007, 10:36 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
As far as the accuracy of HV, though, according to the CCI ballistics table, their HV has a muzzle velocity of 1215fps, faster than the Speed of Sound, but it drops drops to 1019 fps at 50yds, which is just below the SoS. Again, the transition from supersonic to subsonic can destabilize a bullet in flight. Depending on your gun, or maybe whether it's being fired from a rifle or handgun, it may or may not go subsonic and accuracy may or may not drop off.
FWIW I've read that very few types of .22 ammo will go supersonic out of a <9" pistol barrel, except for a few brands at the top end of the hyper-velocity range (CCI Velocitors, Aguila SuperMax, and suchlike). Most high-velocity rounds are only supersonic when fired from a rifle.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:07 PM   #12
V-fib

Federal 550 from walmart for general use. CCI stingers are good too.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:30 PM   #13
jdc1244

If like me you don't get very good results with the bulk box-o-bullets, Eley Sport are worth a try. They are very accurate in my 452 and at about $1.60 for 50 rounds a good value.

Enjoy your new .22!
Old November 1, 2007, 08:10 AM   #14
stevelyn

I would start CCI and work my way from there.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 1, 2007, 08:22 AM   #15
22-rimfire

I would also try the Eley Sport that you can get at Sportman's Guide online. Buy yourself a brick or two. Wolf Match Target is usually very consistant and often shoots very well for many in their 22's. I believe it runs around $40 a brick these days.

If you shoot a good bit, you will eventually shoot just about everything within the whatever price range you are comfortable with. When I first started shooting 22's, my price range was essentially what everyone considers bulk ammo and I always had good luck with the copper plated Federal ammo in pistols. Check out Walmart for the Federal 510's sold in individual 50 round boxes.
Old November 1, 2007, 11:40 AM   #16
webbee

As everyone has noted, it depends on what your .22 likes/shoots best. It's really buy a bunch and see which works best. It depends on whether you are hunting/plinking or serious target shooting as to the ammo type. Also, a lot of the bulk packs have dirty powder as well as inconsistencies in powder measure or primers.
My interest is in .22 long guns, therefore I'm not up on pistols and can't help you too much with pistol specific info.
Here is a site that deals mostly with Ruger 10/22's, but the ammo section has a lot of discussion about which ammo is best, so you might give it a look (just don't get hooked into 10/22 mods as that can be addictive and pricey).
Old November 3, 2007, 05:40 PM   #17
pistolet1

Right now, I find Wolf Target to give me great accuracy in both my rifle and my pistols. Previously, I favored CCI MiniMags for the rifle, and Federal Gold Medal for my pistols. Never have found any of the high end target .22's, like Eley, RWS, Lapua, CCI Pistol Match, etc., to give me better results to justify spending the extra money for them. I did pick up some Aquila Golden Eagle Match recently, so I'll give them a try and see what kind of groups I get. I paid $3.00 a box for them which would be the best of both worlds; inexpensive and accurate.
Old November 3, 2007, 06:04 PM   #18
Tom2

I had a brick of some cheap PMC lead standard velocity stuff at one time and it was amazingly accurate out of about anything. Super X line of Win. seems to be good, I cannot say for sure about their cheaper stuff but that is bottom of the line ammo. Most large makers have a bargain bulk type that might have some problems from time to time but when you step up to something more expensive in the line generally it shoots better. Maybe the point would be to advise whatever is on the market right now that is horrible stuff to avoid and save him the money and aggravation. Because the list of possibles that might be best in a particular 22 is large. Like maybe he will find some expensive target stuff that it likes, and then some much cheaper common types that do almost as well at a large savings. If you do find something cheap that is 100% functional and the gun really loves it, I would buy up bricks of it now as prices are not dropping and the next production run or change might make for something that is not quite as good.
Old November 3, 2007, 09:05 PM   #19
pistolet1

Tom2

That's just what I did with the Wolf Target. At first I wasn't sure about it, given some less than stellar performances from their centerfire ammo. But I saw that it was made in Germany, looked decent enough out of the box, and has performed really great. I started buying it up at $3.99 a box, until someone somewhere figured there must be something to this .22, and raised the price to nearly $7.00 a box. That's why I'm hoping this Aquila Golden Eagle works out at $3.00 a box; if it does, I'm going to stock up on it.
Old November 3, 2007, 09:12 PM   #20
Redneck with a 40

PMC Zapper's, have been great, fired from my Ruger 22/45.
Old November 3, 2007, 09:50 PM   #21
revance

I agree with everyone who says buy a bunch and try them. It just depends on what your gun likes, some will eat anything.

Most of my shooting buddies swear by Federal bulk, but my pistol won't cycle them. Mine likes Remington Golden Bullets (~ $12/550) and I have never seen a gun that doesn't love CCI Mini-Mags.

I will recommend you NOT TRY Remington Thunderbolts!!! A club I belonged to required you use their ammo (it was a college club, liability reasons or something) and they had thunderbolts. I would use loaner pistols there because I didn't want that junk going through my pistol. They cause terrible leading and have at least 2 duds per 50. I'm not exaggerating either, I shot a ton of that stuff and per box of 50 I would have about 5 not fire on the first try and at least 2 that wouldn't fire at all. It wasn't the pistol either, as I mentioned earlier I used loaners. I got the same results using several different pistols (of different types too).
Old November 4, 2007, 06:54 AM   #22
Jkwas

I have a question about the CCI mini mags. Are they considered magnum loads, or is it just a trade name? My gun seemed to perform better with the Federal High Velocity, and I would like to try the CCI, but I don't want to put excess wear on the gun.
Old November 6, 2007, 11:21 AM   #23
carguychris

CCI Mini-Mags are not "magnum" loads, it's just a trade name. They're not loaded any hotter than other common high-velocity .22 cartridges from other manufacturers.

In terms of .22 cartridge power, there are only a couple of warnings I'm aware of:

1) Some semi-auto .22 rifles and pistols with "match" chambers will not chamber hyper-velocity catridges properly because they're slightly longer than normal .22 cartridges. Check the manual. However, this warning applies only to hyper-velocity, i.e. CCI Stingers, Aguila SuperMax, Remington Yellow Jackets, etc. OTOH high-velocity cartridges have the same dimensions as standard-velocity cartridges and should chamber just fine.

2) Some older (like 40+ years) .22 semi-auto pistols were not designed to withstand modern high-velocity loads and will wind up at the gunsmith if you fire them a lot. I don't really remember which specific pistols were affected since I don't own any older .22 guns. However, most semi-auto pistols designed in the last 30 years (including most common types such as the 22A, Buckmark, Ruger MkII & III, Beretta Neos, etc.) will withstand high-velocity loads just fine. Fire away.
Old November 8, 2007, 04:18 PM   #24
ibfestus

Location: Smack dab in the middle of it... The good ol' USA that is.
Older .22 pistols.

I have 2 HD Military pistols both pretty old. I usually buy and use the T-22 because I use these guns for hunting (squirrels). They are very accurate and are some quieter than the Super Max Aquilas I use in my 10-22.
Old November 8, 2007, 04:26 PM   #25
Laserlips

FWIW:

In years past I had a Hamden High Standard Trophy that simply wouldn't feed anything but the CCI Standard Velocity rds.:barf:

I still have a zillion of them left and I find they make great target plinking ammo for my antique H&R Sportsman.

I'm in agreement with the poster who said you probably would be well advised to buy several different mfg. rounds and see which your particular firearm prefers..

Try and find something that you can obtain locally on a regular basis. Using the exotic stuff is expensive and sometimes can be a pain to find.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy