The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 21, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
cgbills

Coyote in Indiana

I was wondering if anyone knew a place in Indiana where I could go coyote hunting. I am asking because I hear a lot of farmers actually welcome coyote hunters on their property and I wanted to see if there was anyone who needed a coyote clean up Also if I were to hunt them it would be with a rifle
Old February 21, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2
rxraptor02

Where in Indiana are you?

If your near a lot of farms, I would just go door to door asking if you can hunt the fields for critters.

I would first ask if you can hunt ground hog since they are more destructive to the fields. If the farms have lots of small live-stock they might be more inclined to say yes to the coyotes.

I would also go to a local feed store and ask the people there if they know anyone who might be looking for varmint control.

I would also like to get into this on weekends as well.
Old February 21, 2007, 08:38 PM   #3
auburnboattail

Nothern Indiana

My farm is in northern Indiana, North of Auburn.
Surrounding farmers will let people they know hunt, seldom do they let strangers hunt. Not becuase of Anti hunting sentiment but because of liability concerns. My advice is if you know someone close to where you want to hunt, have introductions made, offer to pay for the priviledge (almost everyone will turn it down) offer the landowner to tag along, and by all means offer the landowner first choice of any bagged game. Many hunters in my area have made life fiends by offering above and even offering help at planting and harvest time. You will be surprised. If you show this respect and graditude farmers will let you hunt at every season, allow fishing on stocked ponds, snowmobling in the winter, Clays parties. A local farmer got so into it he added shelter belts and built a mini sporting clays course.
Old February 21, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4
cgbills

During the week I am in bloomington. Most weekends I am in Plainfield (hendricks county)

Last edited by cgbills; February 22, 2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old February 22, 2007, 03:45 PM   #5
USNairman

The Hoosier National Forest off of 446 near Bloomington has great coyote hunting. I know because I hunt it frequently.