The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 30, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
piercfh

Her first deer/buck!

With only one day of deer season left here in Alabama what was I thinking taking a girl along with me to the woods. Well this morning turned out to be awesome, and I thought I would share the pictures.

Take someone hunting. Pass it on. You'll be glad you did.

If yall want to hear the story of the hunt I'll post it up, but here are some pictures for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bw.jpg (86.2 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg bw2.jpg (106.9 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg bw3.jpg (69.2 KB, 250 views)
Old January 30, 2007, 03:46 PM   #2
zpurdy

i think you were thinking the right thing
Old January 30, 2007, 04:54 PM   #3
sjsfire

That beats the gruppy old guys I hunt with.....nice deer too
Old January 30, 2007, 04:54 PM   #4
stephen426

Good deal. Now teach her to field dress it and cook it... then you got yourself a keeper! I think my wife would freak out if took her on a hunt. Either that or we would conveniently have a hunting accident and she would pop me in the melon.

Last edited by stephen426; January 30, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old January 30, 2007, 05:44 PM   #5
Ian2005

Looks like your mom got a real good deer son'.
Old January 30, 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
BIGR

Nice deer and nice looking hunting partner. It is nice that you got another person interested in hunting. Usually women have a negative outlook on hunting. Did you teach her how to field dress the deer? Usually the fun is hauling it out, skinning it and cutting it up yourself. Great job, now go out and recruit some more, we need them on our side.
Old January 30, 2007, 06:36 PM   #7
FrontSight

I didn't even notice there was a deer in those pics!

Is that your girl or your mom, tho? She's a little older, no? Do tell the story, do tell!
Old January 30, 2007, 06:43 PM   #8
buck460XVR

Art's Grammaw wuz here.
Old January 30, 2007, 06:49 PM   #9
sanson

easy boys... it might be his MOM..
Old January 30, 2007, 07:07 PM   #10
sanson

take me hunting.... can I go??? please
Old January 30, 2007, 08:58 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Think "family" website. We might not be ladies and gentlemen, but we can fake it.

Art
Old January 30, 2007, 09:37 PM   #12
BIGR

Art must have woke up from his nap.......
Old January 30, 2007, 10:15 PM   #13
harleybabe69

Women and hunting

I love hunting! I even do my own field dressing - my dad showed me how to do it the first time he took me out and once was all it took.

I think it has a lot to do with the way someone is brought up.
Old January 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #14
BIGR

It would be interesting to see how many female hunters are out there. A hunter on our deer lease took his 11 year old daughter hunting this past deer season and she took her first ( a big doe at 85 yards). We were proud of her. We need to get more female hunters envolved in hunting, to show the others that its not so bad after all. Probably over 70 percent of the woman in the US think hunting is cruel and unecessary. Personally I like to see a woman in camo getting out in the woods, in pursuit of wild game, toughing the cold weather and succeeding in her hunt.
Old January 30, 2007, 10:36 PM   #15
castnblast

Way to go! Art met my wife recently on our jaunt out to the Big Bend region...You'ld never know from meeting her at first that she has shot several deer and a hog w/ my 7mm Rem mag. She even helped me drag...yes drag...a Mouflan Ram 1.5 miles through some pretty rough country to my truck while on a bowhunt in West Texas. It was 42 degrees and raining. She didn't complain one bit. It's great to have women in the outdoors. I've been married 11 years, and love for my wife to join me. She hasn't been in several years due to the age of our kids, but she'll be out there next year. Congrats on a great buck! Is that a Parker rifle in those pix?
Old January 31, 2007, 10:33 AM   #16
FrontSight

I keep BEGGING my girl to come hunting. Maybe one day. She does help me butcher & pack, tho, so I can't complain I guesss...
Old January 31, 2007, 10:39 AM   #17
sanson

I can't get my wife to even EAT deer. I'm gonna trick her this year:barf:
Old January 31, 2007, 12:55 PM   #18
KMBRTAC45

Nice looking deer. When I was back home in the U.P. of Michigan in November for Whitetail season my friend took his 14 year old daughter hunting for the first time and she shot a 13 pointer . It is great to see more females getting into hunting. Hopefully next time I go hunting my GF will be able to come with me.
Old January 31, 2007, 01:03 PM   #19
john in jax

I never had and wouldn't have a girlfriend that didn't like doing stuff in the outdoors - - but I'm married now so the whole girlfriend thing is out of the question.

My wife is an avid fisher(wo)man and loves being in the woods. She would never pull the trigger on an animal, but wouldn't hesistate to film or take pictures of me doing so.

A LOT of good communication can happen when you are confined in a small blind, ladder stand or boat together for hours. I am constantly surprised at how you can really get to know someone when there ain't a TV or a radio nearby, and the cell phone is turned off.

BUT what I want to know if she made you give her time to "pretty up" before the photos . . she don't have hat hair and there no sign she was wearing a headnet or facemask - - looks to me like she got ready for a date then you took her in the woods.
Old February 1, 2007, 02:05 PM   #20
piercfh

WOW. A little late with a reply here. Haha shes 20 and so am I. Shes a friend from school. Maybee this will answer the mother son question a little better. O and no chance in hell on her gutting that deer, but my buddy has a girlfriend who will. Only problem with that is she likes to hunt too much.

heres some pictures to clear things up. Not a mom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bw1.jpg (69.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg bw2.jpg (78.8 KB, 137 views)
Old February 1, 2007, 02:33 PM   #21
Yellowfin

Wow, my congratulations to you both! Well done! I hope you definitely take her out as often as possible. Have you mentioned turkey season yet?
Old February 1, 2007, 03:55 PM   #22
FrontSight

Niiiice, you hang on to that cutie!
Old February 1, 2007, 10:51 PM   #23
BIGR

Looks like she can fish too....Dang you've got you something. You better keep her around.
Old February 1, 2007, 11:34 PM   #24
skeeter1

Great looking woman and a great looking deer. Kudos to you for taking her out on the hunt. If I'm right, the rifle looks like a Weatherby with a whomping big scope. She must have been proud of that shot. Good on you!
Old February 2, 2007, 12:54 AM   #25
piercfh

I would much rather everyone think thats my mom than shoot a weatherby. Haha. The rifle is a browning high power safari grade. It wears that laminated stock for hunting, and I love the scope too its a kahles fixed 8x56. I have seen 6 first deer killed with the rifle, and I hunt with it alot too.

OK the full length version of the story.

The night of Jan 29 Brittany(her) came over to do homework with my two roomates. Neither of my roomates wanted to hunt in the morning, but Brittany was up for it. She had been hunting with me twice and never gotten the chance to make a shot.
We left home at 4:30 and were in the stand around 6. We sat in a double ladder stand with a shooting bar. From the stand we were watching a pasture with some small pine thickets, two food plots, and a hardwood bottom. This is most of my friends favorite stand, and one of the roomates missed a doe here just two days before.
The first deer we saw that morning were a pair of spikes very early. Brittany was extremily still and queit. I was impressed. After not seeing anything for about an hour I had to remind her that there was still plenty of time left in the morning and not to get too restless. Shortly afterwards we started seeing deer again and she wasnt bored.
We saw a few more deer (nothing to speak of) and then a doe started walking the ridge behind us. When I spotted her she was about 40 yards away and immediatly turned around to look behind her. I thought ut oo I know what that means. About that time Brittany started jabbing me in the side, and I knew she was looking at a buck. I wispered be still dont move so she wouldnt spook the doe. Eventually she lost sight of the buck and the doe walked out directly in front of us. At this point I can see the buck and notice he's following the doe. I wispered for her to turn around slow and get ready to shoot. When she caught a glimpse of the buck she really got excited, and then I did as well.
Everything happened in a matter of seconds, but it allways seems to last soo long. I told her the buck was going to follow right behind the doe and I would make him stop for her to shoot. The buck followed my prediction exactly. I mouthgrunted and he stopped to check us out broadside at 50 yards. As the .270 touched off immediatly after my mouth grunt I noticed a limb in front of us move. The buck ducked into some small pines before I could get in front of him with my crosshairs. At this point I'll confess that I had my rifle on him the entire time, and he was absolutly not getting away.
After a ton a celebrating and trying to keep her from jumping out of the stand I had to mention that there was a chance she didnt kill him. I couldnt help but remimber seeing a small limb fall when she shot. We waited just a few minutes, and got down to look. As soon as I walked up to where he was last standing I saw plenty of blood and a good trail. I told her " you just killed that buck and he's huge!" He ran probably 15 yards and hit a pine tree before giving up. She couldnt believe how big he was when she saw him on the ground, and said she never looked at the rack very well from the stand.

The entire hunt seemed too good to be true. The buck stopped right in front of us, never knew we were there untill she shot, and the shot was right on. Not to mention it may be her buck of a lifetime.

Hope yall enjoyed it.

-Frank