The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2002, 12:34 PM   #1
tator

S & W main spring ???

How do you tell the difference better main springs? ie factory, wolff or other? Or how are they different? I have both a 625 and a 686+ I'm trying to identify the spring and I don't know the how.

Supposedly, I had a reduced power spring in the 625 with the stock one included however when I changed them the DA tension was reduced. This spring had a raised center portion to it. While the other was flat with a different bend radius to it.
Old September 23, 2002, 06:05 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

What help I can give, is factory springs are flat, and have a very black finish. All of my S&W guns are stainless, and all have an "S" stamped near the bottom.
Old September 23, 2002, 06:15 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The "raised center portion" is probably the Wolff Power Rib spring. They make them in both full strength and reduced power versions. The S&W mainspring is flat in crossection.
Old September 24, 2002, 07:46 AM   #4
tator

Ok so it seems when I bought my 625 the orginal owner put the orginal spring back in, and left the wolff spring in the case.

Has anyone used the Jerry Miculek spring kit?
Old September 24, 2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The previous owner may have had misfires with the R.P. mainspring and put the standard back in for reliability. I know I did in a M25-2. The clips add another pair of contact surfaces and some springiness to the rounds in the chambers. It takes a full-force hammer fall for reliable ignition, in my gun at least.

The only way to know what your guns and your ammo will do is to testfire it with both springs. Handload Federal primers, they are the most sensitive.

I haven't tried the Miculeck springs. They are specified for Federal primers; must be very light.
Old September 24, 2002, 12:29 PM   #6
tator

Since I've already been getting light hits from short pulling the trigger, I've went to 45 +P Nickle Plated casings with Federal primers. I was also pulling on the action due to it being heavier then the rest of my revolvers. Installing this spring may actually resolve both issues. I have also purchased a C&S extended firing pin to help, however it was TOO extended and caused a drag marks across my primers and bound up the rotation

So the next step to test the orginal firing pin with the new spring.