The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 22, 2004, 06:13 PM   #1
Dark_Learner

Hi whats is this all about?

I can tell you this much. It is a big ball of gun safty and knowlage. I dont spell well so please deal with it . Any ways as far as I can tell it is a place if you need help with a law or safty tip this is the one of the places to go. I am one of the kids my age at my school who takes time at what he studies or trys to learn. Like one of my school reports had to do with WW2 weapons. I got 100 on it. The other people who tryed failed with a 60 or below. If you have the time to break down the site you will learn a lot and see alot. Please E-mail me my account is Dark_Learner

I am dislisk so deal with it

Last edited by TheBluesMan; September 25, 2004 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Removed confrontational language
Old September 22, 2004, 08:12 PM   #2
VaughnT

What site are we supposed to be viewing? Is there an address available?

Congratulations on your 100 on your report; dedication to your studies will get you far in life. Remember, though, that spelling is one of those critical elements that you need to focus on, just like history or math.
Old September 22, 2004, 09:35 PM   #3
45 Fu

Perhaps he means this site?

Please let us know.
Old September 22, 2004, 10:00 PM   #4
gifted

This is better put in the general discussion or round table forums. It's a new young guy I told about the forums here.

Spell check is wonderful, Nick, you can type your post up in word or something and paste it over here. But nice to have you here. Don't get lost.
Old September 22, 2004, 10:07 PM   #5
Casp_A

It's just an introduction. He's asking for advice about gun safety and technology and techniques 'n' stuff. And give him a break about the spelling. Congrats on the grade, man.
Old September 24, 2004, 11:01 AM   #6
Quartus

Quote:
And give him a break about the spelling.
Letting kids slide on essentials is not giving them a break. It's breaking them.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 24, 2004, 11:30 AM   #7
Handy

Edited.

Last edited by Handy; September 24, 2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old September 24, 2004, 11:49 AM   #8
tyme
Staff

Spell check equals sloth. Learn to spell. There are very few things worse than not knowing proper spelling and grammar if you plan to interact with other people at all. Look at how often Bush Jr. is mocked for his illiteracy.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 24, 2004, 12:20 PM   #9
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Okay, end of spelling lesson. I think the point is made. Let's continue to make Dark_Learner feel welcome.

Congratulations on the A+, Nick. I'm sure you worked hard for it. It feels good to be recognized for completing a project that exceeds people's expectations, doesn't it? Keep up the good work! Your education is vitally important to your future and to the future of our great country!

The Firing Line is quite simply the finest firearms information site on the web. We can make this claim with confidence because we have the finest members on the web. If I may paint them with a wide brush - they are intelligent, resourceful, friendly, open-minded, knowledgeable, and... opinionated! You don't need to be a pretender to fit in here. If you are honest about who you are and what you want to learn, (as you seem to be) you'll fit right in. Search the database for answers to your questions and don't be afraid to ask them again in your own way if you don't see a satisfactory explanation.

Start out with The Four Rules of Gun Safety, then read Metal and Wood and learn about Molon Labe here and here. Then check out the rest of our library.

Enjoy!

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old September 24, 2004, 12:22 PM   #10
Casp_A

I won't say anything more than this: he has a very good reason to have trouble spelling. Out of respect for his privacy, it's not my place to say why, but I'm sure he'll tell you if he wants you to know.

Edit: Sorry Blues, you and I posted at about the same time.
Old September 24, 2004, 04:41 PM   #11
Dark_Learner

Handy

I am 15 and dislesik. That is part of the problem. Oh, yes if your going to qeston my adge you shove it got it. I have enough problems as is with people hating me for learning about guns.
Old September 24, 2004, 06:42 PM   #12
Quartus

That last post needs a follow up - it comes across pretty badly. Y'all ought to know that I've just enjoyed a PM exchange with this young man, and I think he's good stuff.

Welcome aboard, Dark! Pull up a chair and set awhile.

Old September 24, 2004, 06:48 PM   #13
Handy

We spoke as well, and all is well.

I did suggest Dark edit his intial post to clarify the subject.
Old September 24, 2004, 09:33 PM   #14
magsnubby

Dark Learner,
Welcome aboard.

Don't let the spelling get you down. Belive me, i know what you're going through. Just hang in there and do the best you can.
Old September 24, 2004, 09:38 PM   #15
Dark_Learner

Thank you all

Thank you all for the support you gave me. i am sorry if had made any one mad its is just that I have a thing for people that sort of go about it in a rood maner . I like the way you all have welcome me in your own way. Now lets get down to the law; what is the law that expired. What is up with the hipe over it.
Old September 24, 2004, 11:24 PM   #16
croyance

Hello. Glad you look for information even in the face of opposition. Whatever conclusions you come to and whichever side of this debate you end up on, it is good that you tried to learn.

The law that just expired is the Assault Weapon Ban.
Among other things it:
Limited all new magazines to 10 rounds. Less for shotguns, but for handguns and rifles it is 10 rounds.
Banned certain features from rifles - pistol grip, collapsable stock, flash suppressor, and bayonet lugs.

Supporters claim that these things have something to do with crime.
Demonstrably they do not. A firearm is effective without these features. Further, an individual intent on criminal activity would break this law if convenient.
Certainly I would rather be chased by a guy with a bayonet than shot down. My odds are much better.

Anti-gun people say that not renewing this Ban will lead to more police deaths and more violent crime. Do you believe a criminal would feel more effective with 17 bullets than 10 in a gun? Are people at the other end going to feel less threatened during an armed robbery if he only has 10 bullets? In either case, reloading is possible (though not a factor).
Are police really safer without this? I would say no.

And that is one point. That it is legislation that limits a right for no real purpose. Others will chime in.

Casp_A and Quartus, thank-you for confirming that he is no troll.
Old September 26, 2004, 05:49 AM   #17
DorGunR

Dark Learner..............Welcome aboard.
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old September 26, 2004, 07:49 AM   #18
Quartus

DorGunR!! Where ya been? Don't be a stranger!

Old September 26, 2004, 07:54 AM   #19
Baba Louie

Dark
A definite welcome to TFL and the world of things that go bang.
Dyslexia sux. So does life at times. We all deal with it the best we can. Lemons, lemonade, that sort of thing.
One of the perceptions I've developed over the years is that a majority of people are extremely judgemental of the gun culture as being "less than" in the intelliegence department. I feel they're wrong of course, but that position does tend to keep us on our toes in regards to doing all things above the norm or median, our perception or first impression we give others.
You've already encountered a degree of difficulty I gather in wanting to learn more about firearms, so you know from whence I speak. It does not get any easier, so we tend to hang out together and preach to the choir (which can sometimes bring certain choir members angst levels up if their ox becomes gored in the process... like spelling and such). How we rise above the criticism is a sign of maturity and levelheadedness (keeping a cool head under fire as it were). Or not. I tend to suffer fools gladly. Others will not.
Areas of study...
Well, there's guns. Long guns, safety, handguns, politics, smoothbore, safety, new guns, politics, old guns, cartridges/calibers, safety, politics and training, training, training. Research. Read. Share.
And there's history. Tales of the Guns on the History channel, Gunpowder, Arms, War, John Moses Browning. In the past four centuries, guns were critical in the historical happenings of the world. I expect that trend to continue. Read a lot.
And then there's the really fun part... going shooting and going shopping.
I grew up in a household with firearms and hunting being a major part of the men's role where my Father and Uncles were very knowledgable and opinionated on the subject. In that regard I was lucky. Very lucky.
Re: Schooling and firearms. Congrats on the paper. Areas of research you might want to consider; Racism and Gun Control, Genocide and Gun Control, NFA '34, GCA '68, The Second Amendment/The Federalist Papers/Militia, Crime and Gun Control (UK and Australia)... all being worthy of study in the development of a fine young gun culture addict's mind. Knowledge is power.
Self Control is a must. Don't let the bustards grind ya down. Aim small, miss small.
Our future lies in your hands and others like you. We're in pretty good shape I think, despite the naysayers predictions of doom.
As to your specific question...
In Sept. 94, Clinton/Reno and the Democratic controlled Congress passed the Omnibus Crime Law which was supposed to keep evil assault weapons off the streets. New Pistol gripped rifles which had bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, hi-cap (over 10 rds) detachable magazines (not clips), folding stocks, etc. were suddenly a no-no. I think it passed by two votes and became the law of the land. It had a ten year life whereupon it would sunset unless subsequently extended. It also divided Americans into two camps. Law Enforcement and the military were exempt from these provisions, setting up an Us vs. Them situation or the old "You're not as trustworthy as those who do our bidding and we want them to have more firepower than you, the lowly tax-paying citizen". Well, you can see how it might rub certain people the wrong way in the land of the free and the home of the brave, neh? Like me.
It really pissed off a lot of good Law Abiding Americans. Two months later the Democratic (majority) Congress was voted out and a Republican Congress voted in. Gun Owners were up in arms and voted their anger. I liken it to the Mommies vs. the Daddies.

Anyway, welcome again to TFL Dark_Learner (interesting choice of name)
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old September 26, 2004, 01:38 PM   #20
DorGunR

Quartus - DorGunR!! Where ya been? Don't be a stranger!

Just lurking mostly my friend, how ya been?
Vietnam 1966/67 - 1969/70
Old September 27, 2004, 09:23 AM   #21
MHDIsHere

Welcome Dark_Learner!

I'll add one more point to the topic of the Assault Weapons Ban (AWB). People will cite statistics showing a reduction in crime during the AWB. If you read what's actually there, they show a reduction in crime with assault weapons, not overall. I'll illustrate the difference with an analogy:

Suppose the government, in an attempt to improve highway safety, decides to ban the sale of new red Ferrarris. You can buy an identical Ferrarri in yellow, orange, or sky-blue-pink, but not red. Existing red Ferrarris can stay red. Lamborghinis, Porshes, Masterattis, etc can all still be red. In ten years you could report a decrease in speeding violations by red Ferrarris. Does this make sense? No! Why? Because, first of all, there aren't that may red Ferraris in the US. Banning red Ferrarris didn't reduce the overall number of speeding violations because there weren't enough of them to make a difference. Second, because the people who would have sped in red Ferrarris have plenty of other options, including a used (pre-ban) red Ferrarri or an identical Ferrarri in another color, a cosmetic difference only.

Same with assault weapons, they're so infrequently used in crimes that even the complete elimination of them would have a negligible impact on crime rate. If someone were inclined to commit a crime they could get either a pre-ban weapon or a weapon that's operationally identical to a banned weapon. That's of course the person in question bought the weapon legally in the first place, which forces us to assume that a person who has no compunction about using a gun to commit a crime will buy that gun legally.

I learned a long time ago, there are three types of lies, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Even if you LIKE what the statistics tell you make sure you understand the background, because it's a safe bet you'll be debated by someone who does understand them.
Old September 27, 2004, 10:30 AM   #22
Quartus

Quote:
Just lurking mostly my friend, how ya been?

Too busy to spit, DorGunR. Good to see you around.
Old September 27, 2004, 10:52 AM   #23
claude783

Welcome!

It was Claudius, Ceaser of Rome, he was a stutter, but he did say the following.

Is not what I say, more important than how I say it?

So, what I am getting at, by writing, reading and asking questions on this forum, you will benefit in being able to read. As for the spelling in time, with practice as with most things in life, it will become easier...just hang in there.

We may not always understand what you are trying to tell us, but at least your trying...

My son has a reading problem, but since the subscription to "playboy" , "mad", I noticed that his reading has improved!

Perhaps a subscription to a gun magazine might help with reading, etc.
Old September 27, 2004, 11:07 AM   #24
shermacman

First of all, Dark_Learner, welcome aboard!
Dyslexic here. Also a case study of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. You live, you learn. Being dyslexic I have learned to read in a much more critical way. ADD is a problem and blessing both. A couple of words of advise, it is easy to get angry and edgy in life. Good things happen and bad things happen. Try to keep things in perspective. It takes effort to stay optimistic. Humor helps a lot!
Old September 28, 2004, 11:39 PM   #25
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Baba Louie, I know you're trying to help, but nobody with more than a very mild case of Dyslexia could read that post. Paragraphs are your friends.

Dark Learner, your spelling may be commented upon, but it won't bar you from The Firing Line. Telling people to "shove it" absolutely will. I hope that's clear. We simply do not tolerate that kind of talk here. If you disagree with someone, we only ask that you do so politely. Say what you want about his point of view, but don't call him names, don't call him stupid, and don't suggest ways for people to abuse themselves, OK?

My wife is Dyslexic, and she now has a Master's Degree in special education. She got into the field to work with Dyslexic kids, but fell into a job in Autism and is now her district's top expert on Autism and Asperger's. Her Dyslexia is fairly mild; she transposes numbers and read slowly, but she can read well if she puts in the effort. Her reading ability deterioriates with fatigue and divided attention, and her spelling is pretty bad, but the worst is that when she gets tired or tries to read too long, the letters appear to move randomly up and down.

I g n yin to e 001 a g l k e th s . . . . . .
ma i e tr g rad p e s i i