The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2022, 01:26 PM   #26
Marco Califo

Quote:
Lyman does not make powders or bullets; they make bullet molds, and stuff.Yeah, it's the "and stuff" where their reputation comes from.
True, and I started with, purchase new and recent Lyman products, and use many of there products, but you missed my point:
They are not the best source for Load Data. I get that from the Powder and Bullet makers.
OP is talking about cast bullets, and that area is Lyman's Forte.
Old October 19, 2022, 03:01 PM   #27
FITASC

IF you go with the hammer style (one company makes them for everyone) put a yellow foam ear plug in the bottom to cushion bullets. I have been able to reuse Sierra SP rifle bullets that way
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 20, 2022, 12:11 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
They are not the best source for Load Data. I get that from the Powder and Bullet makers.
That's your opinion, and I won't argue with it. I happen to think Lyman is a good source for data, PARTICULARLY because it is less bullet specific.

Lyman does tell you what bullets (and cases and primers) they use in testing. And often they used more than just one brand of bullet. Bullet makers manuals only give you data for their bullets. Powdermakers only for the powders they make.

Lyman gives you data using several different bullets and powders from different manufacturers. Is that the best source of data? perhaps not, depending on your opinion, but I think its a valid and useful source.

I have manuals from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, and others. Have some of the powder companies data manuals as well. They're all useful sources, IF you're using the components they list.

Lyman has been my first (and most often) "go to" book for 50 years, don't think I'll be changing that anytime soon...

No loading data is holy writ, carved in stone, handed down from on high to be considered dogma. The data is guidelines, usually very good ones, but what they got, and what you get CAN be different.