The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2018, 06:21 AM   #1
Snagman

Lee Molds for 300 Blackout Bullets

I see quite a few comments from people that the 230 gr bullets from Lee molds like to keyhole at about 50 yards. I've also read where several people claim to have very good results with about 11 grains of AA-1680 with that same bullet. I'm getting ready to do some experimenting with that load myself to see how it shoots in my AR in the next week or so, when I get some time to go to the range. Everyone says the nose section of these bullets, and other sizes as well, ride the bore and only the back 1/3 of the bullet actually drives in the rifling which is what causes the keyhole issue.
My question is; has anyone tried the CTL312-160-2R bullet mold and then resized the bullets with a .309 resizing die? I'm not sure if that would create an issue with the micro grooves or if it would work OK.
Any thoughts out there?