The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 16, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1
ZVP

Piettias '62 Police

I've been able to get some more range time with the Piettia and have really been impressed with the overall preformance of the revolver!
Spent caps seem to glide through the frame and simply eject themselves out of the cut-out like there was an ejector or something! I've been using Remington #11's and the fit over the nipples is tight and the caps bottom against all the anvils.
The firing behavior of the 5" barreled .36 is plesant and hardly any recoil is felt. The Gripframe has the usual Piettia flat back and even so the hand doesn't create a void where the "flatback" is. Other Piettia grips have required some extensive brass and wood alteration so the gun sits tight in the hand. I have had to round the rear heel of the grip on my Brass framed .44 to fit the gun to my hand.
Comparing the grips of the .44 Piettia brasser and the Piettia Police, you can easilly spot two different bottom straps and the backstraps vary minimally. The new model Piettia has a much better shape! The "flatback" area is slightly thicker, therefore making it fit the hand better. Someone at Piettia seems to have done his homework and made the grip to fit American Mits! Seriously, the gripframe alteration is much better, it helps control the gun throughout cocking and fireing sequences.
The firing manners are totally gentmanlly, with a light crisp trigger and hardly any felt recoil. Muzzle blast is low and flashback at the cylinder gap is minimal.
The barrel loading cutout is ample enough to easilly rotate the cylinder and ram the ball home. Earlier cutout shapes (Especally the .44's) dragged on the ball slightly and slowed the loading process. Good to see this part has had some forethought to it!
The front sight is woefully low and groups pay for that.The revolverstill shoots about 5" high @ 15 yds. A taller sight would help. I am considering adding a taller, drift adjustable (via keyway) to allow for windage adjustments.
Overall, the Piettia Police is a very nice carry gun. It's small enough to not drag a holster belt down also small enough to not present a large lump and make carry uncomfortable. It carrys like a modern 5" revolver does. I'm very pleased with it's purchase and mild shooting manners! Loaded with a 22gr powder charge, the .36 ball flies flat and true. Groups are tight and just to the left of center and a bit high.
At the $249 Price from Cabelas, it's worth every cent! (always check for sales!).
ZVP
Old July 16, 2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

Great range report ZVP.