The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
outbackrider

Which would you purchase ?? Advice requested

I have been reloading shotshell for 20 years.
Never had the time to get into reloading for rifle.
Now I have the time and a son that wants to shoot all
the time.... We shoot .30-.30 and .30/06
I would like to reload both of these calibers and have
target practice accuracy. Not planning on entering
any kind of competition.
My question is I am thinking about getting the
Hornady Lock-n-load progressive press because
we will be getting an AR-15 in .223 and we will be
burning up many rounds.... If I use the LnL press as a single
stage, what amount of accuracy would I be giving up
over getting a single stage press? I think I would
rather spend the money on the progressive, than to buy
the single stage and have to upgrade later.
Appreciate your advice.
Old March 6, 2009, 03:43 PM   #2
dodgestdshift

I do not own a progressive press, just a single stage. As far as I know, most progressives can be used as single stage presses. The only limit on accuracy in both press types is the operator.
Old March 6, 2009, 04:48 PM   #3
314EPW

presses

I to only use a single stage press for rifle.I use Lee products.Their single stage gave me 5 shots in a thumb nail at 50 yards.And I just started with this round(308)I use the Lee 1000 progresive for my pistol rounds.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
amamnn

Hornady makes some very fine equipment. A Lot of folks consider the Lee Classic turret press to be a good compromise between single stage quality and progressive quantity.
Old March 7, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Shoney

I own two progressives, the LNL AP and a 550. In addition I have a Pacific and Herters single stage presses. My buddy has a Rockchucker single stage, and had a 650 which I have loaded extensively on.

We decided to do runout tests about a year ago. The LNL not only produced more conentric ammo than any of the progressives, it was better than the single stages.

After harrassing me for many years, my buddy sold his 650 and got the LNL AP.
Old March 10, 2009, 02:53 PM   #6
TonsofOregonBrass

LNL AP

the LNL AP can be used just fine as a single stage press. I dont know if i would change the dies in station 1 for this purpose. it would be easy to just put one casing in, run it through all the stages then put another one on. that way when you are comfortable with the operations it would be an easy switch to full progressive loading. and you will easily need it if you shoot your AR as much as i do.

thought i should answer the actual questions. you wouldn't give up any accuracy. and you would save your self some money in the short run. really there arnt to many draw backs to this, unless you start doing full progressive reloading before you are really ready.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:03 PM   #7
kwells6

with your ar15, make sure to get small base .223 dies, otherwise some of the rounds may have expanded. it happened to me with my die set
Old March 10, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
outbackrider

Thanks for the advice, I am
still trying to make up my mind....
Everything I read seems to indicate that if I do go to a progressive that I am certain to give up accuracy......

Thanks again.
Old March 10, 2009, 03:56 PM   #9
dlb435

I've always used a progressive press for reloading my rifle ammo. Unless you're shooting competition, you will not notice any loss of accuracy. In fact, your reloads will probably be better than factory ammo.
The only thing I do different with rifle loads it to de-cap and resize the shells first. Then I run them through the tumbler to clean them up. With the cases de-capped, resized and clean; I remove the die from the first stage and run them through. Spot check the powder dump every 50 rounds or so to be sure you're getting the charge right. Your LNL is a very good press and should give you very good rounds in the progressive mode.