The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 06:05 PM   #1
iScream

What actually defines a wadcutter?

Hi, back with more newbie questions.

Does "wadcutter" just mean there is a 90 degree flat nose on the bullet or is there more to it than that?

Are wadcutters actually more accurate than other bullet types for target shooting or is it just that they are accurate for the price point? They sure don't look like they would be very accurate with a flat face but I realize that means almost nothing.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old February 10, 2009, 06:14 PM   #2
rwilson452

wadcutter

I'm going to keep this simple. Yes a wadcutter is a flat ogive. yes they are more accurate. they are accurate because they a stable in flight. They do have a Bad BC but the drop is very predictable because they are stable.

They also make a nice clean sharp edge in the target making scoring more precise. Most people the shoot a 45 auto to compete use a semi-wadcutter because you would need to reinvent the pistol to get it to feed properly. I think it was S&W that made an auto that would shoot a 38spl wadcutter but that is all that it would shoot.

Quote:
What actually defines a wadcutter?
Hi, back with more newbie questions.

Does "wadcutter" just mean there is a 90 degree flat nose on the bullet or is there more to it than that?

Are wadcutters actually more accurate than other bullet types for target shooting or is it just that they are accurate for the price point? They sure don't look like they would be very accurate with a flat face but I realize that means almost nothing.

Thanks!

-Chris
Old February 10, 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
LHB1

All wadcutters and semi-wadcutters have a sharp shoulder which cuts a clean, full diameter hole in the target to improve scoring. Full wadcutters have only a small button for nose. Semi-wadcutters have an elongated nose. Both types are HIGHLY accurate designs with the full wadcutter being slightly more so but you will need a Ransom Rest, very accurate pistol, very accurate target/match loads, and possibly some statistical analysis to prove it. Bullseye match shooters use these bullet types for their inherent accuracy and scoring characteristics.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:16 PM   #4
iScream

Thanks Guys.

I've been at home for two days with a kidney stone so I've been searching and learning a lot during the periods where I feel like sitting up.

Hopefully I'll remember some of this stuff when the Hydrocodone wears off...

-Chris
Old February 10, 2009, 07:43 PM   #5
D.A.Clark

Kidney stone, I'm sure you have been searching a lot, good luck with the wadcutters and the kidney stone!
Old February 10, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
cgaengineer

I hear wad cutters cure the pain of a kidney stone better than hydrocodone!!
Old February 10, 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
sserdlihc

Did someone say Hydrocodone?

Just kidding. No not really!
Old February 11, 2009, 06:34 AM   #8
cgaengineer

No joke, 3 days of oxy and I was hooked after my Gallbladder surgery...took 3 days of depression to get off of them...don't mess around with pain killers!! Funny thing is I called my surgeon and explained my symptoms and he offered me more meds...I declined!
Old February 11, 2009, 10:41 AM   #9
SL1

MOST of what was written above about wadcutters is true.

But, they are NOT more stable in flight in the aerodynamic sense. After about 50 yards, they start to become unstable and groups open-up, compared to round-nose and other more pointy bullets.

They are more accurate at shorter distances because they have a longer bearing surface to more closely align them with the bore. That means that they get deformed less by firing and tend to start out more accurate until the range gets too great for them.

You can see the same accuracy benefit of a long bearing surface by comnparing heavy and light bullets of the same nose design.

SL1
Old February 11, 2009, 12:28 PM   #10
luvsasmith

When I had kidney stones two months ago they gave me 18 hydrocodone. I took one just before I passed one of the stones. I laid back down in bed and woke up 15 hours later.

WOW. I'll never take one of those again. But the morphine at the hospital was quite cool.