The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Randyralph

45-70 reload with a round nose

Good day all, has anyone here ever use a round nose bullet in a lever gun before. I have a 385 grain round nose mould, and I was wondering if it will be ok in a 45-70 lever gun. Thanks for all your help.
Randy
Old December 30, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you seat it to the right length and load and shoot one-at-a-time, you will be fine. The only reason for flat noses is so they can't poke the primer of the next round in the magazine under recoil. You can also file a small flat on each bullet for insurance without any significant affect on accuracy. Guys used to cut a piece of pipe to slip over each round to file them flat to the same degree. They were trying to improve destructive performance on game, but you can use the method. Compare single loaded round nose accuracy to the ones with flats if you are worried about adverse ballistic effects.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 31, 2008, 09:06 AM   #3
flashhole

It depends on the radius of curvature of the nose. Hornady makes a wonderful 350 grain round nose bullet specifically designed for tubular magazine rifles. I shoot it in my lever action Guide Gun.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old December 31, 2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Randyralph

Flashole,
It is a lyman mold, mold #457124. I'm thinking it maybe ok to shoot, because in my 30-30 I use round nose bullet it it, but it does not have the recoil of a 45-70.
Thanks for your imput.
Old December 31, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I *think* round nosed lead bullets should be OK, but I'm not an expert. I would not trust a round nosed FMJ bullet unless you load them 1 or 2 at a time (one in the chamber, one in the magazine tube.)
Old December 31, 2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

It depends on the radius. If you are seating primers below flush with the casehead by 0.004" as the Forster seater forces them to do, you will probably be OK, but it still depends on the radius of the bullet and how hot you load. You can use CCI #34 military hardness primers for some extra insurance.

I am circumspect about this because of the .45-70 recoil. I notice that Garrett ammunition, which makes heavier loadings of this cartridge for the Marlin 1895 and Ruger #1 and some others they list, uses cases specially made for them by Starline with a small rifle primer pocket. That minimizes the chance of bullet nose contact under the heavy recoil. They do that for all their .45-70 ammo, including for their cast flat nose bullets.

M.L. McPherson had a cartridge ignition in a magazine a couple years back and wrote it up in Precision Shooting. It was in an 1895 in cold weather, and he was wearing gloves which helped him fail to notice the last round didn't quite get in to the point the loading gate completely closed. He already had one in the chamber and was topping the tube up. So the cartridge was tipped a bit and the edge of its flat bullet meplat was resting on the primer. That was enough to set it off. M.L. McPherson loads hot, but that may or may not have been a requirement.

I look at the cost of the bullets vs. the cost of a new magazine for the broken gun. That part was all M.L. McPherson had break, since the smokeless powder didn't burn all that well after the bullet got out; black powder would be more problematic, though. I don't really see a benefit to conducting the experiment at that cost.

Harold Vaughn did a bunch of experiments intentionally filing slants onto bullet noses. It is remarkable how little difference it made to group size. As Harry Pope said, the base steers the bullet. You won't affect much taking a couple quick swipes with a file, and it buys you a good bit of peace of mind (or, at least, it would me).
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle