The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Gun Shooter

Glocks and Reloaded Ammo

Would like the latest info (2007/2008) on GLOCKS AND RELOADED AMMUNITION FOR 3rd GEN GLOCK PISTOLS!! PLEASE, only latest info (2007/2008) !!
Old December 29, 2008, 11:59 PM   #2
rn22723

Go ahead it will void your warranty, but so what!
Old December 30, 2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Loader9

Most pistol makers will void the warranty if you use reloaded/handloaded ammo. Glock is no different. If you do load your own, just stay away from max loads and you'll be fine. Most reports I've seen with Glocks blowing up is the user loading max ammo and doing rapid fire. There will always be an occasional one that blows just because it can but that can happen to any manufacturer- rare, but it happens. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old December 30, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Would like the latest info (2007/2008) on GLOCKS AND RELOADED AMMUNITION FOR 3rd GEN GLOCK PISTOLS!! PLEASE, only latest info (2007/2008) !!
Ummmm....what information are you wanting? What load recipes people are using? Are you wanting a factory manual information for said pistols? Are you wanting to know if it's safe to use reloaded ammo in Glocks "on paper" or real world?

Your question begs for more detailed content....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 30, 2008, 02:16 AM   #5
C Bass

Are the '07/'08' glocks different than the earlier 3rd gens?
Old December 30, 2008, 09:57 PM   #6
millerwb

Quote:
Most pistol makers will void the warranty if you use reloaded/handloaded ammo. Glock is no different.
Big deal. Glock only gives a One Year Warranty any way, correct?
Old December 30, 2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Ricklin

Nope

My Glock manual says no reloads, 3rd gen G19. 5 mos. old. Virtually all the manuf. say the same thing.

Can't blame them with some of the loads that idiots will put together.

As for me I'm very comfortable with loading for my Glock 9mm, I just can't see the 'unsupported chamber' that so many talk about. Maybe the .40s are different, my 9mm looks like it has plenty of support.

I will know more when I resize the brass I collected today from testing my loads, the brass looked fine tho.

It 's just more of the same in our overly litigious society.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:26 AM   #8
cgaengineer

I reload for my Glock (Warranty Voided), I also use copper plated lead bullets in the factory barrel (Warranty Voided). I just shot about 100 rounds of Rainiers yesterday without a hicup, I dont load to max pressures as it really is not needed anyway.

If loading for 9mm shoot me a pm and I will send you the load that I use if you are intersted.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:15 AM   #9
jtravisbayne

I'd suggest upgrading your barrel if you intend to shoot cast bullets in your Glock. The hexagonal rifling in the factory barrel doesn't respond well to a lot of cast bullets going through them; or so I've been told.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:54 AM   #10
cgaengineer

Yes, leading can be a problem with non plated or jacketed bullets. An aftermarket barrel can be purchased for about $100 for shooting lead bullets.

If you push plated bullets too fast they will also lead the barrel as the plating will come off.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:58 AM   #11
jtravisbayne

Diddo on the barrel cost. I changed my G19 to a Lone Wolf stainless steel barrel for just under $100. I could do without the engraved logo on the chamber, but I'm pleased with how if performs.
Old December 31, 2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Sam06

I Cannot talk with any authority about 9mm Glocks as the only one I have is a G26. It has had about 2000 rounds of reloads through it without a problem. I have a Glock 21(Gen 1 no finger bumps/no rail) That I got back in 92. I have been shooting it in 3 gun matches and I practice with it 2-3 times a week. I ONLY shoot reloads. I switched the barrel to an aftermarket one, Storm Lake with no Logo, so I could shoot lead better. It works fine. I did shoot lead out of the OEM barrel and it did not blow up, but it was not very accurate and it did lead. Last count was 93,800 rounds through the Glock 21. All reloaded on my Dillon 550B. The load is a Lead 200gr SWC pushed by AA#5 and a CCI LG Pistol primer to 900FPS. It works fine and makes power. I have yet to have to replace a factory part on the G21, with the exception of the sights, connector and barrel. Those were done to make it a better shooter not because it broke. There is a lot of press about Glocks kBing. I have seen a few let go at matches. Most were 40 cals with reloads. I have also seen M1a1's and AR-15's with bad reloads kB. Any gun will kB if it has bad reloads or bad factory ammo.
Old December 31, 2008, 11:39 AM   #13
kestak

Greetings,

Maybe a stupid question: How can the manufacturer know you shot reloads?
I sent twice to Taurus and I never had any trouble.

Thank you
Old December 31, 2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin
As for me I'm very comfortable with loading for my Glock 9mm, I just can't see the 'unsupported chamber' that so many talk about. Maybe the .40s are different, my 9mm looks like it has plenty of support.
The issue of unsupported chambers were in models chambered in .40S&W. IIRC, they have since corrected the issue to some degree. 9mm models never had this issue, per se.

Quote:
I'd suggest upgrading your barrel if you intend to shoot cast bullets in your Glock. The hexagonal rifling in the factory barrel doesn't respond well to a lot of cast bullets going through them; or so I've been told.
I can second that. You mean, polygonal...

Old December 31, 2008, 11:42 AM   #15
cgaengineer

I always wondered the same thing kestak...after all a reload is really no different then a factory load if done correctly.
Old December 31, 2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Sevens

Quote:
Diddo on the barrel cost. I changed my G19 to a Lone Wolf stainless steel barrel for just under $100. I could do without the engraved logo on the chamber, but I'm pleased with how if performs.
Apologies for the thread drift, but Lone Wolf offers an option on the barrel without the big mean Wolf head engraved on it for $10 more.
Old December 31, 2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Apologies for the thread drift, but Lone Wolf offers an option on the barrel without the big mean Wolf head engraved on it for $10 more.
Sooo...they charge $10 more to perfrom one less step in the manufacturing process?

Old December 31, 2008, 04:35 PM   #18
Shoney

Two urban myths keep rearing their ugly heads, "You can't shoot lead in Glock barrels." and "Get an aftermarket barrel because of the 'supposed' leading problem.

If you replace the barrel of the Glock with someone elses barrel, you have just voided the warantee!!!!?????

Short story on "lead Kabooms in 40SW". There were two problems with the Glocks themselves.
1. They would fire out of battery.
2. The unsupported chamber.

What happened was there was a lead build up in the chamber, that was not cleaned properly or often enough. This allowed the cartridge to move back in the chamber with each succesiive shot and would be fired. Kaboom!

For a more detailed rendition read my post #30 @
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=309351

Last edited by Shoney; December 31, 2008 at 04:40 PM.