The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2008, 01:30 AM   #1
JW74

Handloads in 9mm+P

I was wondering if anyone here has reproduced the factory 9mm +P loads with their own reloads? If so what was the recipe? I recently purchased a new 9mm and in the store the +P rounds are a little on the pricey side. I am a very accomplished riffle reloaded and thought about loading my own 9mm ammo now as well with some 115 and 124gr hollow points in +P.
Old February 22, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

+P, +P+, +pee-pee

e-mail direct

[email protected]
Old February 23, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
FM12

I load 115 grain Zero brand JHPs with 5.0-5.1 grains of Bullseye. This is a little over the posted max of 4.8 or so. Don't try to attain too much, the 9mm is already a high-pressure round. I've shot this load in several pistols, and never a problem. Zero bullets are excellent, by the way.

Last edited by FM12; February 23, 2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: speling
Old February 23, 2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Shoney

Before shooting +P loads you should make sure your weapon is rated for them.

SAAMI lists 9mm Luger Max pressure as 35,000 PSI, while +P Max pressure is 38,500 PSI. They do not consider velocity.

There is published +P data for powders that yield the high pressures. The velocities of some of those loads are not significantly higher than loads of standard pressures using other powders. Just because it reaches +P levels does not mean you will get a lot more velocity. The +P loads are very abusive and should be used wth discretion.

+P loads are more suited for sub guns like uzi's, and although SAAMI has no official listing of +P+ loads, there are rounds loaded over +P levels for use only in sub guns.
Old February 23, 2008, 03:22 PM   #5
JW74

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I should say that I was looking for a faster velocity round and not so much a +P load. The pistol that I am loading for is my Springfield XD-9 Tactical. I definitely don't want to damage it or wear it out with excessive amounts of +P ammo.
Old February 25, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6
MrApathy

Power Pistol you can load it to standard pressure and get some good velocity are some other powders too. AA #7 can sling 147gr's pretty fast.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes