View Full Version : Boolit Pictures with Specifications
August 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
I would like all those casters out there to show us pictures of your boolits. If you could include the Mold manufacturer, boolit style, boolit weight, and boolit diameter (as cast) that would be great! I would like to use this as a resource for those looking for molds for specific calibers. Thanks again guys!
August 9, 2009, 05:37 PM
I'd like to add if a lube is applied, what type it is.
August 9, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ok, here we go
From Left to Right:
Lee TL356-124-2R (124 grn Round Nose, .356"), Lee 358-148-WC (148 grn Wadcutter, .358"), Lee 358-158-RF (158 grn Round Flat Nose, .358"), Lyman 358429 (168 grn Kieth Style SemiWadcutter, .358"), Lee TL452-230-2R (230 grn Round Nose, .452"), Lee 452-200 SWC (200 grn SemmiWadcutter, .452"),
Lyman 245496 (for .243 Win) (83 grn Round Nose Loverin Design...Gas Checked, drops at .249", but should be closer to .247"...mine drops a little big, sized to .244")
Excellent addition on the lube!
My lube is Home made and consists of 60% Beeswax 40% Vasaline (by weight) plus 2 red crayons for color. Runs through a lubrisizer with no heat and could probably still run through it with 70% beeswax for a harder lube. Lee snot on the tumble lube style boolits (Lee Liquid Alox).
August 9, 2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry I don't have any pictures with lube. These are 200 grain SWC for 45 auto. The mold is Lyman 452460. The bullet diameter is .452. I size on a Lyman 4500 lube/sizer and use Lar's Red lube. The top punch for that bullet is 460.
This is the link for Lar's lube. He has any kind of bullet lube including alox and has the best prices I have seen.
August 9, 2009, 06:13 PM
IllinoisCoyoteHunter - -
Just for my knowledge, in what cartridge do you load that .249 bullet? Seems a bit small for .257 or .25-06, but I have practically no experience in loading cast bullets for rifles.
Also, I think you deserve a little public recognition for making the very first post in the new subforum. Only one above yours are the Administrator's announcement and the "Casting 101" thread which was transferred from the main H&R forum.
August 9, 2009, 06:16 PM
Johnny, I use that in my Savage .243 WIN. I size it down to .244", seat a gas check, and lube it all in one stroke on my Lyman lubrisizer.
August 12, 2009, 08:50 AM
heres my cast selections 1 through 15. all lee molds except the maxiball wich is lyman. 1 .410 170g, 2 .410 210g 3.358 158g 4 .356 124g 5 .452 230g 6 7.62 160g 7 .452 225g hp 8 .358 140g hp 9 .429 210g 10 .366 100g 11 353g 50 cal mini 12 317g 50 cal REAL 13 368g T/C maxiball 50 cal 14 .429 240g 15 .429 214g.
August 12, 2009, 07:25 PM
Is there a way to use the Carnuba Red without the need for using a lubrisizer?
August 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, tuttle8, you can pan lube with carnauba red. It is a slower process, and can be a bit messier (is that a word?). Instead of explaining pan lubing, you can just as easily look it up on youtube. I use to pan lube, but I finally broke down and bought a Lyman 4500 and lubesize everything on it.
August 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
This is harder than I thought. Here's my sorry attempt to take pics of my boolits!
Now the last TWO will take some sub-notes to tell what's what. I think that's the way it should be done.
1. .223 55 grain gas checked round-flat nose. Lyman mold
2. .223 60 grain gas checked round nose. Lyman mold.
3. .308,Actually .311, 100 grain round nose. Lee 2 cav mold, for 30 luger, .762 tokorav.
4. 9mm .355 124 TC TL. I use it in my 357 sig. Lee mold, mines a 6 cav.
5. .401 175 TC I use it in my 40 S&W Lee mold, 6 cav.
6. .452 200 RF I use it in my 45 auto, mine are shot as cast, I also size/lube them in my 450 lubrisizer. Lee mold 6 cav.
7. .452 228 1 radius RN. I shot a few, they weren't especially accurate, AND it's a 2 cav lee mold, takes forever to get a few boolits.
8. .452 225 RN. The traditional lyman hard ball copy, mines a 4 cav. Shoots real good in mt SA 1911.
9. .458 340 RF Lee 2 cav. great plinker for 45-70's.
10. .500 440 RF. I don't have a 500, but I got this mold for 12 guage shotgun sabots. Lee 2 cav.
11. .510, this is the above boolit with a reamer run into the mold to eliminate the grease grooves, and enlarge it to .510 for the sabots. It's cast out of 20-1 lead-tin so it might expand a bit.
12. .308 175 RF. I got this for my .308 savage. It shot okay, haven't spent much time on it. Lee single cav.
13. .323 170 RN. This is for my 8mm turkish mauser. Shoots okay for plinking. Lee single cav.
14. .284 160 grain loverin style grease grooves. I shot it in my .280, got it to shoot 1 inch @ 100 yds. Lyman 2 cav. Now if I could just find that mold-------------
15. .430-250-44 mag SWC. This lee mold is a 6 cav, that's apparently discontinued. It doesn't do well in my SBH, but I may not have found it's sweet spot! So many boolits, so little time!
16. .462-240 PB. It's actually supposed to cast at 405 grains. This is a special group buy from over on cast boolits forum. So far in my buffalo classic it's done okay. More load development needed. Lee 6 cav.
17. .458-405 RF. Lee's 405 plain base, discontinued. It's a lee single cav that I've had forever.
18. .458 HB, that's hollow base! This is lee's answer to the needs of the old 45-70 springfield trapdoor. Shoots okay at trapdoor velocity levels, but try to whomp it up results in the skirt acting like a balloon. Lee single cav.
19. .452 250 SWC. I've got that mold somewhere! Used it when I HAD a ruger blackhawk 45 colt. Lyman 2 cav.
20. Lee key slug, 7/8 ounce. Woks okay but wouldn't hunt with it.
21. okay it's not numbered! That's the lyman 12 guage sabot slug.
Now I have some other molds, most are lyman's.
245496, 243 80 grain 2 cav lyman
452490 45 colt 250 grainer that's a hollow pointed boolit, casts at 240 grains.
358429 357 SWC lyman 2 cav.
545616 TC maxi ball.
358477 357 SWC.
August 16, 2009, 09:02 PM
Excellent Snuffy!! Glad this made it on the first page!
August 22, 2009, 06:58 PM
.457 RB Lee / 155gr CB Lee / 350gr GC Lee / 400gr FP Lyman / 405gr RNFP Lee / 535gr Postell Lyman (All 45/70/.460 Red Rooster Hard Lube)
158gr GC Lee / 158gr PB Lee / 148gr WC Lyman (All .38/357 .358 Felix Lube)
180gr WC Lyman / 200gr RNFP Lyman / 237gr SWC Lyman / 245gr SWC Lyman / 300gr SWC Lyman / 255gr GCSWC Lee / 240gr RN Lee (All 44/.430 RR hard Lube)
(Can't remember how to open the pics in the thread) Mods? Feel free THX.
August 22, 2009, 06:59 PM
45ACP 225gr RN Lyman .452 Alox Lube
45ACP 200gr SWC Lyman .452 Felix lube
45Colt 320gr RNFPGC Lyman .452 Red Rooster Lube
12Ga Foster Slug Lyman
9mm 124gr RN Lyman .357 Felix Lube
170gr GC Lyman .309 Alox pan Lube
August 22, 2009, 11:13 PM
Here's the new additions to my mold line up, along with 3 that didn't make it to my first post.
The 2 on the left, #1, lee 2 cav. C312-155--2R. It's supposed to cast at .312, and 155 grains. It drops at .309, and 145 grains! This was with linotype that tested at 19 BHN. It's my belief that the lino I was using is a mix of letters, and a few spacers. The spacers are a much softer lead because they don't touch the paper, so they don't have to be as hard. Full power lino should test at 22-23 BHN. Lino usually casts BIGGER AND LIGHTER than what a mold should/would cast at using wheel weights.
#2 is a C430-310-RF. Cast of the same lino as the .308, it casts at .434, which I expected. Like I said, lino always casts big. It should size down okay to .430. I'll load it in my Ruger SBH.
The round ball is a .390. It's meant to be loaded inside a shotshell wad for short range pumpkin loads. The 2 on the far right are lee R.E.A.L., bullets for black powder rifles. The first two are 50 cal, the last two on the right are 45 cal.
August 23, 2009, 12:37 PM
Lee tumble lube TL358-158 grain SWC. These are some of my first cast bullets using wheel weights. Sized and alox lubed. They shoot great!
August 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
I picked up my second mold. Another Lee double cavity mold TL358-158 grain WC RN. I like the tumble lube type bullets. I would like to experiment with other molds, differen't weight's. I love casting. Sometimes It seems that I cast as much as I reload and shoot. Citywaterman
August 26, 2009, 11:12 PM
wrong thread :D
August 28, 2009, 03:47 PM
Lyman 358627 358-215-SWC-GC
Lee 452-190-SWC (discontinued)
Lee 452-190-SWC on left and Lee 452-230-TC on right
Lee 452-200-SWC H&G #68 clone
Lyman 378674 375-335-RN
January 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
Don't have many moulds (may have missed some) but if something I'm playing with interests you, send me a PM.
Lemme see, .45 and .54 ball, 323-170RD, 359-190RD, 452-200TL, 452-424 Lyman, 460-350RD, 457122 Lyman (Gould). 457193 Lyman, 457125 Lyman.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.