The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2011, 03:44 PM   #1
chasep255

Post-Ban AK Muzzel Brake

So living in NJ I have a WASR-10 with a nut welded over my threading to make it legal . I would like to get a 74 style muzzle brake. How can I do this if I can't access my threading?
Old April 11, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

Technically it's easy, cut off and rethread. Legally, in NJ? Throw away and find one with the muzzle break like you want it.
Old April 11, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
mnero

Sounds like Jersy is even worse then Maryland and Maryland is bad; don't think we have any BB gun restrictions though. Does that mean no automatic BB guns at the carnivals; I used to love those things, LOL.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:16 PM   #4
chasep255

BB guns are regulated as real guns here.
Old April 12, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Dfariswheel

There may or may not be threading under the cap.

Usually, these were welded on the bottom of the cap.
Use a Dremel cut-off wheel or a really narrow saw blade, like a jeweler's "wire saw" to cut through the weld.
Often after you cut it deep enough, you can grip the cap with Vise-Grips and forcibly unscrew it.
The trick is not to cut too deep and cut into the barrel.

Remember: The threads are LEFT HAND and you have to depress the locking plunger on the top side in the front of the sight tower.

If the barrel is threaded, you can clean up the weld and just screw on a replica AK-74 brake. Make sure there's a detent plunger in the front sight, if not, install one.
You'll have to cut a detent notch in the brake.

Another option is to buy an adapter and install an genuine AK-74 type brake which is much more effective then the "replicas".

This adapter fits the standard AK left hand 14x1 threads and converts it to the 24x1 1/2 AK-74 right hand threads.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.ph...cat=272&page=1

K-Var sells original design AK-74 brakes for both 5.45 and 7.62. Unlike the American replicas, these really work well.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=344