The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 23, 2001, 08:04 PM   #1
SIGarmed

Whats the best basic Remingtom shotgun for HD?

I'm leaning toward the 870 of course but what variant is best?
I'm unfamiliar with all the models. I hear about the express,and the police magnum,etcetera.
I want a basic pump that I can modify as time goes by.
Wich one is best for the price also?
Old December 23, 2001, 11:58 PM   #2
9mmMike

Howdy SIGarmed,
I am a fairly new shotgunner and after spending some time here, I bought two 870's within a couple months. Both of mine are Express models and were purchased used. I have been having oodles of fun with them both. I would absolutely recommend an Express for value per dollar. There is nothing special about the HD or Police models that is worth the price in my opinion.
I have been able to add old cop-stocks (which I refinished), mag extensions and slings (just one so far) on my Express' and it was sure a lot cheaper than buying the HD or Police models.
If you could find an older Wingmaster, that would even be better but I could not find any as nice as my Express models.
I use mine for hand-trap although they are set up more as social SG's. I am still having fun tweaking on them.
What do you want to do with your 870?
HTH,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 24, 2001, 01:12 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

The basic no frills gun is the Remington 870 Express Magnum HD model. This has a synthetic stock, black powder-coat finish, bead sight, and synthetic trigger group. This is an excellent HD gun right out of the box with no mods.
The only minus's, are, that to add a magazine extension, you have to remove two tabs of metal from inside the magazine tube. This isn't too tough a job. Second, it now comes with Remington's PC lockable safety, that everyone hates.

Top of the line is the Remington 870 Magnum Police model. These come in walnut or synthetic stocks, parkerized finish, aluminum trigger group, yes or no on magazine extensions, and a good choice of different sights. They also have heavy duty mag springs and shell releases. They do not have the PC safety.

The Express is a inexpensive entry level HD gun that can be upgraded, while the Police models are rather expensive but top-of-the-line. If you want to save money and do it yourself, I'd go with the Express HD, as long as you don't want different sights or finish.

If you want a gun that's complete out of the box, I'd order whichever model of Police gun that met my needs. To see the Police model lineup go to:
www.remingtonle.com

The third option is to buy a used 870 and add the options and finish you want a peice at a time.

I've done the do it yourself route and usually wind up spending about what a new Police gun costs. Partly because I added rifle sights, and had refinishes done.

Last time I just cut to the chase, and bought a Remington Police model already set up like I wanted.
Old December 24, 2001, 07:29 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Used Police turnins are the best deal in town if they can be found. Usually dinged badly on the outside, most are near new inside and work well.

Two of mine started as agency turnins. One's a full house "Serious" shotgun with peep sight, extended mag,etc, the other's my anything flying shotgun. Neither cost very much, I bought judiciously and put them together a little at a time. Sounds like what you want to do.

Barring that, IMO the Turkey Express 870 with its short bbl approaches optimum versatility at low cost.

Good news, it's a Win-Win situation. They're all good.
Old December 24, 2001, 10:38 AM   #5
9mmMike

I wanted to add a couple more things. Those "combo's" that folks talk about sound like a really good deal to me. They are not cheap in terms of up front cash lay out but considering that you get two barrels (if your plan is to have a SG where you are switching barrels) it is a good deal.
I do not switch barrels and, like Dave, I take my time and buy only what I consider to be good deals. This takes longer but spreading the purchases out gives me the illusion of spending less!
Really, I have saved cash this way, at least on my second 870. In fact, I just picked up another rifle-sighted barrel for 88.00 (two actually but one was a gift for a buddy). I've no idea what I will do with it yet as both of my 870's already have 20" rifle-sighted barrels but I'm sure I'll find something.
I like wood stocks and have been able to buy rough ones very cheaply but I've seen factory synthetic stocks go for less than 30.00 if you needed something like that. The mag extensions I also bought used and removed the stupid PC dimples myself. I think the most epensive thing on my one 870 is the set of AO sights that my bride bought me for my birthday. They cost nearly as much as my second 870!
Good luck with your project.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 24, 2001, 11:02 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What you can do with that extra bbl, Mike, is contact Valley Gun Shop in Parkville, Md. That's where I bought the surplussed receiver that's now Frankenstein. Last time I checked, $50 bought a "Parkerized" receiver. Other used parts are available.

410-668-2171, IIRC.
Old December 29, 2001, 02:26 AM   #7
Bullmoose

My defense shotguns are 870's, but I am not sure they are the way to go anymore. The Mossberg 590's have some advantages (at least in my eyes): aluminum receiver (you can hold it at low ready for classes all day a lot easier), the tang safety is much more accesible to either right or left hand use, ghost ring sights and mag extension model is reasonably priced, unloading the mag tube using the cartridge stop is easier, the mag spring is lighter and the carrier is out of the way when loading making it easier and faster to load. I am not flaming Remington, see above I have two, but taking some tactical classes has convinced me that if Mossbergs are now reliable (I don't think the early 500's were), then I would go Mossberg for a pump, or maybe look at the Benelli Nova pump. I will say that my 870's both run, everytime. That is consideration number 1 for defense.
Old December 29, 2001, 03:23 AM   #8
Hkmp5sd

I'd go with the 870 due to the wide assortment of accessories available for the gun. You can buy the basic, no frills gun and as your experence grows, you can add the features you like without having to buy a new gun. I have both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 and I like the 870 best. Just seems more rugged.
Old December 29, 2001, 06:13 AM   #9
Rob96

If the extended magazine is a "must" for you, look around a bit, Remington did put a production run out that had factory installed +2 extensions on them. I picked mine up in the beginning of October or there abouts. Excellent shotgun, then the only thing you need to do is get range time and pattern it to see what HD fodder it likes best.
Old December 29, 2001, 07:30 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bullmoose, the Mossies are decent guns, but...

Police agencies and prisons use very few Mossies, even tho many POs and COs are lefties. The reason's simple, no shotgun stands up to rough treatment the way the 870 does. The other stuff you mention are nice, but hardly crucial.

Since the Mossies come in cheaper, cost conscious agencies would use them,if all else were equal.

As you said, reliability is the #1 consideration.
Old January 1, 2002, 08:31 AM   #11
Vladimir Berkov

Where can you buy the LE shotguns?
Old January 1, 2002, 05:40 PM   #12
Benjamin

edit - here are links, from the following thread.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...aw+enforcement

Quote:
The 11-87 Police shotgun is an outstanding piece of hardware. The following four places are among those that sell them to civilians:

http://www.papolicesupply.com/

http://www.daves-guns.com/

http://www.guns4ever.com/

Hoplite, POB 6599, 3402 Burkland, Bldg. 3, Shepherdsville, KY 40165 502-955-5014