The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2001, 10:05 PM   #1
la rue

oregon trails

just ordered some oregon trails hard cast 230 grain rn bullets to try out in my
cz.anybody out there have any experience with these fellas?
up to now i've used mainly berry plated bullets and have been
pretty happy with the quality.any other ideas?
Old December 18, 2001, 12:28 AM   #2
db4

I've been using Oregon Trail's bullets with very good results in .45 ACP. Didn't realize how spoiled I was until I picked up some 230's from somebody else and had accuracy go to sh** with bad bore leading. The laser cast's are very consistent and hard enough to work well even in less-than-perfect bores.

There has been a fair bit of discussion on this before; try doing a search for "laser cast'.

Good shooting.
Old December 18, 2001, 03:39 PM   #3
grunewaj

La rue,
I've heard that Laser cast (Oregon Trail) bullets are very good. I'd be interested in your comparison between Berry's and Oregon Trail. Do you shoot in competition such as Bullseye or IPSC, etc?
Thanks
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old December 18, 2001, 03:56 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I've pretty much settled on Laser-Cast as the only lead bullets I use in all calibers that I shoot lead in, and that's just about all calibers. While I don't find that their claim of "no leading" is true, their bullets lead a lot less than others I've tried. The main thing for me is, as db4 said, the consistency of their bullets. Their bullets are "pretty"; that is they don't have the ridges and voids like I've found in several other brands.

The major drawback is the cost of shipping for the calibers and weights that Cabela's doesn't sell. If you buy from Cabela's, they ship by cost instead of weight so it is a lot less than buying direct from OT. Until Midway started charging for shipping, that was the best place to buy the common types.
Old December 18, 2001, 04:40 PM   #5
Peter M. Eick

I am with Mal H. Laser Casts are the only leads that I will shoot, but I usually order directly from Oregon Trails. Never really thought about the Cabela's trick. I will do that next time.

By the way, they are very good bullets!