The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2001, 08:22 PM   #1
The_Huntman

Which Red Dot

I have an 870 that I was looking at putting a red-dot on for deer hunting since I have a hard time sighting with glasses. Any thoughts on which model. I was looking at the Tasco line but am open to suggestions.
Old November 10, 2001, 10:43 PM   #2
Ghibli

I am also looking for a red dot for my 870. My research narrows down to Tasco Optima or Fire Point mounted on an Aristocrat base.

Anybody has any experience with such set up?

Last edited by Ghibli; November 11, 2001 at 10:38 AM.
Old November 11, 2001, 05:33 AM   #3
dick w. holliday

optima

i own a couple of optimas and really don't think that much of them--i've used them on AR's and various pistols--seems like to me that they shift zero to some degree and the adjustments are sort of crude--but on the other hand what can you expect for 120 bucks--the small dot is very hard to pick up--for a shotgun i would definitely use the larger dot--if you want a serious red dot then get an aimpoint or an eotech-i've got a few of those and you can bet your life on them--i don't have the latest generation aimpoint but i understand that they don't even have a cutoff switch because the batteries can last 4 years......Dick
Old November 11, 2001, 11:26 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Optima 2000

I have Optima 2000 sights on several pistols. As my aging eyes are no longer able to focus clearly on front sights the Optima has ben a godsend . I find the sights easy to use and very reliable. Have never had a problem with the zero shifting and they have improved my shooting ability with pistols.

I find they are far more desirable than the bulkier tube type red dot sights and the dot is much easier for me to pick up. If you need a red dot and can live with the stupid cover they provide they are the way to go. If I could find a way to use them without the cover having to be on to turn them off they would be perfect for a carry gun, (Not that I can carry here in NY).

Their small size is a plus, and they are rugged. I just purchased number 3 and am debating which gun to put it on.

No experience with one on a shotgun, but they should work OK, although zeroing may be a chore.

My $.02