The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 7, 2001, 08:27 PM   #1
9mmLaw

Cylinder Bore and slugs

From what I understand I can shot rifled slugs from my cylinder bore (Mossberg). My question is what can I expect in terms of accurracy from an 18 inch barrel (if any).
Old November 7, 2001, 08:48 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

You'll never know till you try your gun. Might try a few different loads. Each shotgun has it's own likes and dislikes in ammunition.

On the broader question, should be no problem shootin slugs from your cylinder Mossie.

Sam
Old November 7, 2001, 10:01 PM   #3
DOCSpanky

Supposedly, you will get best accuracy if you have interchangeable chokes and use an IC choke?

Or so I've been told. I always loaded with #4 buck for HD, and have never used a shotgun on anything that doesn't fly, scamper, or slither.

DOC
Old November 7, 2001, 10:37 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The barrel is not a problem. In terms of pure accuracy, 2 1/2 inches at 50 yards would not surprise me. I had several SGs that would do this.

The bead sight tends to limit you as your eye is the rear sight. With any stress, failure to acheive the same cheek weld throws the shot off target.

The other factor is the ammo - SGs can be picky and the best accuracy usually requires testing several different brands of ammo.

Giz
Old November 8, 2001, 05:51 AM   #5
Rob96

My 870 HD has proven accurate out to 25yds so far with a cylinder bore barrel and bead site. In using both Remington Sluggers and Federal rifled slugs I was able to achieve one hole groups that resembled a 4 leaf clover. Will be trying it on the 50 yd range next.
Old November 8, 2001, 01:17 PM   #6
9mmLaw

Thanks for the input. I will give it a try. I just wanted to know what to expect.