The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2001, 08:30 AM   #1
tonyz

What is the differance between the two, and is it that important.
I Bought a new barreta yesterday and will pick it up tuesday. I thought it was the 92 FS Stainless steel, But the reciept Has the model number down as a 92 F.
Also a factory 15 round HI CAP came with it from the factory how is that possible.

Thanks Tony
Old April 15, 2001, 09:37 AM   #2
GFW

The 92 FS differs only one way. Above the left grip plate,and between the grip plate and the frame you will see a large circular pin. That is the hammer pin.The diameter was increased and a corresponding groove cut into the left rear portion of the slide. That was intended to " capture " the slide in case the rear of the slide should separate. The 92 F doesn't have it. I have shot about 30,000 rounds a year through my Beretta's the last 6 years. It is a very reliable weapon. I have had the rear of the slide crack on one of them. I knew something was wrong when I kept missing or hitting very high on a steel target at 5 yards. I sent the slide to Beretta and they replaced it free. This was one of the 92F series. I hope this helps.
Old April 15, 2001, 01:33 PM   #3
glockjeeper

GFW hit it on the head. Another possiblity about your receipt is that the guy could have just left off the S in 92FS. I know alot of people that refer to the 92FS as just the 92F because its quicker to say. Pretty simple, huh? Also, if I'm not mistaken, Beretta will update your 92F to an FS if you send them your pistol. Thats if you do have a 92F, but you did say its new though. As for the 15rd mag, some distributor that my local dealer gets his Berettas off of have been sending them with 1 10rd and 1 15rd mag lately. Just be glad you have it, they're cheap anyway being military issue with such a large volume out there.
Old April 15, 2001, 03:24 PM   #4
mrat

I have a Beretta 96 Police Special. Do they have the upgrade already?
Old April 15, 2001, 04:25 PM   #5
glockjeeper

If I'm not mistaken, the 96 .40 version came out after the FS upgrade to the 92 was done. But they still refer to it as just the 96F and not the 96FS.
Old April 17, 2001, 01:57 PM   #6
imperative

Necessary?

I recently purchased a 92F, and am wondering how necessary the upgrade to 'FS' is?
I've heard the stories about slide failure, but is this a real concern I should have? I mean, right now I'm totally confident and not worried, but if everyone says "Get the new slide and pin now!" then I might have to.
Old April 17, 2001, 04:56 PM   #7
glockjeeper

No its not necessary. But if you want it, then you can get it done. I did find out that Beretta charges a small fee though to do this. Those slide failures that everyone keeps talking about only happened to like less than 10 pistols, I want to say 6, in the Navy being used by the SEALS. They were shooting loads that were very hot and battered the pistols up pretty good. The normal stuff we as civilians will be using will not have this affect. Hopefully....
Old November 1, 2008, 05:47 PM   #8
devilsalmostfree

im interested in getting a 92f, what kinda price would i be looking at for a used one, & whats the avg price for a new 1?
Old November 1, 2008, 11:05 PM   #9
HilfigerCelica

GFW, how long have you had that Beretta when the slide cracked? I was under the impression that Beretta only has a one year warranty.