The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 13, 2000, 05:52 PM   #1
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
I'm looking at a .40 cal. Taurus PT100 in stainless.
Are any of you familiar with this model.
Would also like your general opinion of TAURUS guns.
The 100 looks good and feels good and the price seems ok, but I'm not familiar with Taurus or .40 cal S&W.
Any opinions, good, bad or indifferent will be appreciated. Thanks
Upjohn is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 06:21 PM   #2
Gusgus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 8, 2000
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 621
Upjohn,
Many people consider Taurus "junk", but I disagree. I feel that Taurus makes a good product for the money. I own a PT-92 in 9mm (same frame as the PT100). It's a fun shooter, and as accurate and reliable as my brother's Beretta 92FS, at about $200 less. To me, the grips felt cheep, so I replaced them with a set of Hogue, which really improved the comfort, and helped with accuracy.

I own much more expense Walthers, Sigs, and Berettas, but the Taurus always makes it into the "range" bag, every time I go. If you're looking for a value priced pistol built after the Beretta 92 frame, you can't go wrong with the Taurus PT-92, PT-99 or PT-100 series.
Gusgus is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 06:42 PM   #3
Jack 99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 5, 1999
Posts: 1,082
I've got that exact pistol.

Good deal for the money. The grip is somewhat large, IMHO. Accuracy is mediocre but it has proven reliable as anything I've ever owned. The Pachmyr hard rubber grips are the way to go.

One thing about the stainless model is that the front sight vanishes out there in certain light conditions. Indoors it seems fine, but outside in bright light it just goes away. A dab of nail polish does the trick, though. The little orangish-colored dot that comes from the factory is just about worthless.
Jack 99 is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 07:02 PM   #4
Commygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: February 17, 2000
Posts: 131
I had one that I traded a Glock 23 for. It
proved unreliable (but so was the Glock).
I've heard lots of good things about these
guns so it was most likely just bad luck.
The lemons of the gun world have a way of
finding their way to my hands.
Commygun is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 07:04 PM   #5
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gusgus:
Upjohn,
Many people consider Taurus "junk", but I disagree. I feel that Taurus makes a good product for the money. I own a PT-92 in 9mm (same frame as the PT100). It's a fun shooter, and as accurate and reliable as my brother's Beretta 92FS, at about $200 less. To me, the grips felt cheep, so I replaced them with a set of Hogue, which really improved the comfort, and helped with accuracy.

I own much more expense Walthers, Sigs, and Berettas, but the Taurus always makes it into the "range" bag, every time I go. If you're looking for a value priced pistol built after the Beretta 92 frame, you can't go wrong with the Taurus PT-92, PT-99 or PT-100 series.
[/quote]
Thanks Gusgus, This is what I wanted to hear. I'm buying the Taurus


Upjohn is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 07:09 PM   #6
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack 99:
I've got that exact pistol.

Good deal for the money. The grip is somewhat large, IMHO. Accuracy is mediocre but it has proven reliable as anything I've ever owned. The Pachmyr hard rubber grips are the way to go.

One thing about the stainless model is that the front sight vanishes out there in certain light conditions. Indoors it seems fine, but outside in bright light it just goes away. A dab of nail polish does the trick, though. The little orangish-colored dot that comes from the factory is just about worthless.
[/quote]

Thanks Jack 99, Your and Gusgus's reply were very helpful.
Upjohn
Upjohn is offline  
Old June 13, 2000, 07:13 PM   #7
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commygun:
I had one that I traded a Glock 23 for. It
proved unreliable (but so was the Glock).
I've heard lots of good things about these
guns so it was most likely just bad luck.
The lemons of the gun world have a way of
finding their way to my hands.
[/quote]

Commygun, Thanks for replying. When I get the Taurus, I'll let you know if its as good as I imagine it is.

Upjohn

Upjohn is offline  
Old June 14, 2000, 10:18 PM   #8
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commygun:
I had one that I traded a Glock 23 for. It
proved unreliable (but so was the Glock).
I've heard lots of good things about these
guns so it was most likely just bad luck.
The lemons of the gun world have a way of
finding their way to my hands.
[/quote]

What kind of trouble did you have with the guns.

Upjohn is offline  
Old June 15, 2000, 08:33 AM   #9
Andrewh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: July 7, 1999
Posts: 966
I have had my pt-100 for about 8 years now. I got one near when they first came out. Mine is in the satin nickel finish. I guess I liked it a bit better than the stainless ones I had seen at the time and didn't like the rainbow effect(but I don't think stainless was a choice back then). I like the 3 way saftey. I changed my grips out to the uncle mikes. I didn't like the wrap around pac's. I have put at least 5000 rounds through it with no problems except with fiochi ammo. The only thing wrong with it was the finish started to peel on the slide and the barrel. Both sent back to taurus for fixes. I guess my only complaint was it took them a month to get it back to me. Otherwise I love the gun. Oh and I should point out, that back then, they were known to have problems with there finishes, but have improved since, and after they fixed it, I have had no problems with it.
Andrewh is offline  
Old June 15, 2000, 10:49 AM   #10
Upjohn
Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2000
Posts: 17
Thanks everyone for the information. Although I grew up as sort of a gun nut,I sort of got away from guns for several years while my kids were growing up.
Now there are brands out there that I have barely heard of. Its fun reading all the forums and getting some information.
Are there any good gun magazines out there?

Upjohn
Upjohn is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2020 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Page generated in 0.06000 seconds with 7 queries