The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2001, 08:35 PM   #1
Oatka

Richard Gable Stevens' hostage-taking rampage at Santa Clara's National Shooting Club 18 months ago will cost him the next 50 years of his life behind bars in state prison, a judge ruled Friday.

In imposing the lengthy penalty, Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Kevin J. Murphy acknowledged that Stevens may have been mentally ill when he committed the crime, but he was not insane as the defense had contended.

Prosecutors had sought a maximum term of 80 years, but Deputy District Attorney Charles Gillingham said he felt the sentence was satisfactory in that Stevens would be off the street for a long time.

Stevens, 23, was convicted of kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, threats and assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the July 5, 1999 incident.

A despondent Stevens, who reportedly had a family history of schizophrenia, was accused of firing shots inside the gun club and herding three employees outdoors before being wounded by one of the victims, who secretly was armed himself. Stevens then was subdued by police, and officers discovered a suicide note in his vehicle.

REST OF ARTICLE
Old March 12, 2001, 08:40 PM   #2
Dex56

Okay - when I saw the headline, I did a double-take...

I mean, one of our standard lines is, "Who ever heard of a mass shooting / robbery / mugging / etcetera at a range?". My faith was restored when I read the phrase, "wounded by one of the victims". Face it - going postal at a gun club should rightfully be a Darwin par excellence.

Dex
Old March 12, 2001, 10:04 PM   #3
nualle

Hear hear, Dex!

Someone sign R.G. Stevens up for a Darwin Award! Here's to one more fool falling up, right out o' the gene pool. (Assuming, of course, that he actually serves the 50 years.)
Old March 12, 2001, 10:54 PM   #4
alan

the gunclub shooter

Isn't a shame that the taxpayers will have to provide room, board and medical care to this dirtbag for what might turn out to be quite a few years. Is it really a shame that none of his "victims" didn't simply kill the piece of garbage, as opposed to merely wounding him.
Old March 13, 2001, 01:26 AM   #5
Ricco

Gee Alan. The man is sick. They probably put him in prison so the hospital wouldn't cut him loose after 72 hours because nobody would pay his bill. It was a "Suicide by Police" attempt from the looks of it.
What if diabetes made you do crap like that. Would you line up all the diabetics against a wall and gun them down?
Old March 13, 2001, 06:11 PM   #6
alan

Ricco:

Not wanting to get involved in what might be taken as "flaming", I tried to e-mail you, that didn't work so please note the following.

1. I may be thick headed, but is your response serious?
2. I did not suggest doing anything to any group of people.
3. The mans actions might have been caused by malaria, who knows, but if I had been one of the people he threatened, kidnapped or whatever, I would have shot to kill, which maybe the guy who wounded him tried to do, who knows.
Old March 14, 2001, 09:28 AM   #7
Ricco

It was a light hearted harassment. Sounded pretty harsh to me. I would have shot to kill which is what I think he was looking for.
Old March 14, 2001, 10:06 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

"Shoot to stop!" Remember that. You shoot to stop. Of course some of the better stop places are the brain and heart.
Old March 14, 2001, 12:00 PM   #9
buzz_knox

I never saw this event reported anywhere in the media. When I saw he'd been wounded by an armed citizen, I realized why it wasn't reported.
Old March 14, 2001, 02:40 PM   #10
SW 586

Shoot to stop? Shoot to kill?
Not me...I would shoot to live!