The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 19, 2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Austin1776

Heckler & Koch MK23 Rail, Light and Laser AND HOLSTER Options ... Finally.

Good news for MK23 owners looking for a traditional pic rail mount for light/laser on their MK23. GG&G is now shipping their newly released mount. The next question is, of course, what holster would work with it to allow you to carry the MK23 with a light, etc.

Here's the link to it:
HK MK23 Light and Laser Mount

I heard back today from a Kydex holster maker, Squared Away Customs, and they can and will make a custom Kydex holster for my Mark 23 with the GG&G rail with a Surefire X400 Ultra.

Here is Squared Away Customs' weblink: http://www.squaredawaycustoms.com/

Here is the holster I ordered, and note, they CAN and will make it specifically for the Surefire X400 Ultra, but it adds half an inch to the width of the holster. Darn, there goes my plan for Appendix carry of the MK23 with rail and light/laser.

Five-O
(Gun Make & Model: HK Mark 23 SOCOM, Weapon Mounted Light Make & Model: Surefire X400 Ultra (+$15.00), Kydex Color: ATACs FG (+$10.00), Side (draw from): Right, Belt Loop Size: 1.75" Speed Clip (+$12.00), Special Instructions: I am ordering this to have a custom holster made for my MK23. I communicated with Mark Lancaster about this. I will sending you guys the new GG&G light/laser rail mount system for the MK23. Mark advised me to order the holster, and send in the mount when I get it from GG&G.

Currently shipping in APPROXIMATELY 3-6 weeks from date of purchase: I acknowledge)

PRICE: $136
Old June 19, 2017, 12:45 PM   #2
Austin1776

sorry about duplicate post...new to this stuff.
Old June 19, 2017, 01:05 PM   #3
TunnelRat

While it's great you can get a holster for that boat anchor, I think $136 for just kydex (even with the options you listed) is a bit nuts.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 19, 2017, 03:28 PM   #4
PSP

Quote:
Darn, there goes my plan for Appendix carry of the MK23 with rail and light/laser.
Thanks, that made me smile. Glad you found a way to make things work out for a great one of a kind pistol. Enjoy.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:40 AM   #5
Austin1776

Re. price: $136 for a custom Kydex holster with the options indicated is pretty much the going rate/price. Maybe you haven't had to get a custom made holster for one of your handguns, but I've done it several times, from Safariland, and from Bladetech, etc. Nothing "nuts" about it. Just the way it is.
Old June 20, 2017, 10:05 AM   #6
TunnelRat

Actually I have done it. I still think that price is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 20, 2017, 10:10 AM   #7
Constantine

Check out Gundo Holsters.

I have a USP 9 and USP 45 with GG&G rails and he made me holsters for both.

Way less than $136. Message me for photos.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old June 20, 2017, 08:09 PM   #8
Austin1776

@TunnelRat

If you show me a custom Kydex holster that is identical with all the specs and features of the holster I ordered for $136, I'd believe your claim. Until you do, I call BS. Ditto Constantine.
Old June 20, 2017, 08:34 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Lol, you can believe whatever you want. There are outfits out there that charge significantly more because they've gotten to a size where in part you're paying for the reputation as well as the work. That's fine I don't have a huge issue with that. But there are smaller outfits also doing excellent work that don't charge nearly as much. Google it or not. It's no skin off my back. I've had holsters made by StealthGearUSA that they didn't currently stock and then others I ordered from Theis Holsters, Bravo Concealment, Alien Gear, White Hat Holsters, SHTF holsters, and others I'm forgetting.

At the end of the day if you enjoy the holster you get my opinion is worth as much as you paid for it. But given it's a public forum and you chose to post about it, you might get some comments that don't always agree. This is the Internet.
Maintain situational awareness
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #10
Constantine

Austin, did you email him? Pretty solid stuff.

I even have one OWB for my USP 45 with the GG&G and the X300U.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #11
Austin1776

@TunnelRat...so no links to your "less expensive" options with identical specs as the one I posted?

@Constantine: Just sent a note to Gundo describing my specs and asking if he can make one like that and for how much.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #12
Constantine

Whoohoo! I already told him I sent you.

Hope he can make it happen. We'll see!

I've gone as far as to buy a blue gun to have someone make my holsters.