The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2017, 06:38 PM   #1
cslinger

Found An Obsolete Cold War Era Designed Commie Today Or CZSP01 Range Report

So I have been having a rough few months and as such I have picked up a couple new toys recently with the HKP30 and now this CZ75 SP-01. The HK continues to hum along with nothing but accurate, reliable shooting. It's fantastic.

At any rate today I dropped into one of my local shops just, well, just because. Its a happy place. It's funny some folks think owning lots of guns means you are preparing for Mad Max when the reality is, at least for me, its a fun endorphin rush not unlike opening up a new toy on Christmas morning as a kid. Hurting anybody or anything is the farthest thing from my mind when I pick up a new gun. I hadn't even planned on picking a gun up but as FOOL+MONEY*TEMPTATION=FOOL(ENDORPHIN RUSH)+GUN Alas I am the fool in that equation.

So anyway I went in and what I found was indeed a cold war era design that was also a communist design......it is however far from obsolete.

So here is what we have. A 2017 production CZ75 SP-01. As a matter fact, I went to the future and picked this gun up as the test target is dated 8/4/2017. Bad news folks.......still no P10Cs in the wild in the future. Seriously though I guess somebody fat fingered the test target.

I had been sort of wanting an SP-01 tactical in the back of my head but not enough to actively seek one out. When faced with one in case I had to grab it. They also had several of the models with threaded barrels and suppressor sights (75/P07/P09).

Here she is all cleaned up for her strong like bull, built like one too beauty shot.

So on to my thoughts. As always each score is out of 5 and completely my personal observations of this particular gun.

VALUE - 4
Let's look at value first. There was a time when CZ's always pegged the value scale. Those days are not gone but we will say fading. That being said to get an all steel, hammer fired, 9mm handgun with a great history from a reputable manufacturer in 2017 for 6-8 bones is still a pretty good value especially in a sea of plastic. Is it still the good old days? Probably not but its not a 1000 dollar plastic pistol either, I mean that would just be crazy talk.

TRIGGER - 4
The trigger on this particular gun is quite good. Much better then the P01 I had many years back. No real grit in the pull, fairly nice double action, nice crisp single action and not a half bad reset. Its a pretty nice bang switch for a double action gun.

ERGOS - 3
The CZ75 and the Browning Hi-Power sort of wrote the book on comfortable pistols back in the way back time when we couldn't just splooge out any shape we wanted. This CZ feels like every other CZ75 which is super nice. Great fit in the hand, high grip, low bore access and just feels great. Really the only thing that lets it down vs. the modern world is the lack of ambi controls (except the decocker) and the fact that the slide rides so deep into the frame which give you a little less purchase on it. All in all it was a great feeling pistol 40 years ago and who'd a thunk but apparently human hands haven't changed much because....SURPRISE!!! Still a great feeling pistol.

RELIABILITY - 5
I'll be honest I have a fair bit of experience with a large number of firearms and its not a secret that CZ's are not generally finished all that well on the inside vs. the competition. Because of this I am always a little hesitant every time I take a new one out. I always have this fear in the back of my head that the lack of finishing is going to mean a break in period or general feeding issues...........I have never had that happen with a CZ for real.

This particular SP-01 came out of the box, got a quick clean and function check and had 150 rounds run in a fairly short time. Spoiler alert.......No malfunctions of any kind. At first I thought I was getting a lot of back to the face type ejection so I was thinking weak ejection until I realized I was near the right most wall at the range and the ejection was actually so robust it was banging the rounds off the wall back at me.

I ran a box of Winchester 124 Grain Nato, a 50 round mix of Gold Dot and HST ammo and finished out with a box of 115 grain PMC Bronze. Everything ran like a champ.

RECOIL - 5++++
This is a BIG ASS, ALL STEEL, INTERNAL FRAME RAIL HAVING, ITTY BITTY CALIBER HANDGUN!!! So basically if you find this gun has any sort of robust recoil you might talk to your doctor because you may not have long left. The point is this thing just SOAKS up any kind of recoil. +P stuff feels not different then cheap stuff.

ACCURACY - 5
I always hesitate to make a judgement on this since I am not really any kind of marksman. I will say that I was very pleased with the first 150 mixed rounds and was so happy I took 5 shots at the farthest possible point, which I rarely do because I don't have the skill set for it but this gun made me give her a go and I was fairly happy with my results.

At any rate here is today's targets 10 yard shooting.

CARRY-ABILITY - 2
I mean I will give it a 2 because its not a Mark 23 or you know a rifle. Seriously though its a big honkin' heavy beast. This is a bedside gun or maybe a duty gun, even though with all the other crap you have to carry on duty this would add a significant amount of unnecessary weight. I mean its not crew served but think bedside.

EFFICIENCY - 4
You know its a heavy gun because its all steel so I am not going to ding it for the material choice vs. plastic. The point it CZ is able to stuff what seems like three boxes of ammo into a magazine and still have a grip profile that is one of the most comfortable out there. Most CZ's are pretty size efficient for what they carry. Yes this a fairly big CZ75 but 18-20 rounds on tap is ton of ammo. I think CZ generally does a good job here.

SIGHTS - 3
Good solid set of steel mepros. They are bright good three dot affairs. Nothing to write home about but nothing bad either. Good value though getting a decent set of night sights on this gun.

FIT AND FINISH - 3
So I have owned a CZ75 P-01 previously in the way back time and the interior fit and finish was....lets say utilitarian. Like forged by Dwarven high school students in shop class. Very strong, very reliable not so pretty.

I have to say this SP-01 is leaps better than that P-01 was. The interior is pretty good. Not horrible tool marks our anything like that. Its still not a finely engineered, finely crafted piece of industrial art but not half bad compared to a lot of CZ75s I have seen.

Exterior on CZ's tend to be fine and the polycoat seems to do pretty well. This SP-01 looks pretty good on the outside.

The rubber grips will be replaced by some VZ's but they work well and are comfortable. The Phillips head grip screws, however, NEVER look great on a gun.

Again all in all the fit and finish on this SP-01 is pretty good and better inside then other CZ's I have experience with.

TAKE DOWN - 3
CZ75s can be a bit of pain to take down at least early on. Lining up the lines and then basically having to hammer out the slide stop. (top tip, use the bottom of your magazine). The point is they are not as easy to take down as a thoroughly modern pistol but easier then a 1911 and far in away less foul language inducing then a Ruger Mark I, II, III pistol.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
Plastic recoil guide. I don't usually get my knickers in a twist over this. I don't change my Glocks out etc. I just feel like an old school gun like the CZ75 should have a steel guide rod.

Magazines. The magazines are made by Mec-Gar, who arguably makes the best magazines period. That being said I don't know what it is with CZ mags but both my P-01 years ago and this SP-01 mags could be used as maracas in a show when fully loaded. No big deal as other guns doe this from time to time too just an observation.

Front Strap Checkering. OH MY GOD THANK YOU CZ FOR CHECKERING THIS AREA INSTEAD OF THE VERTICAL CUTS USED ON THE P-01. Those vertical cuts, at least on my P-01 would tear the hell out of my strong side fingers. They were sharp. I mean on the plus side I could Julienne potatoes with them if necessary but I don't find the need to Julienne potatoes all that often so that benefit was lost on me. The checkering is SOOOOOO much better and more comfortable to me.

SO DO I LIKE IT?
Yeah I like it a helluva lot. Shooting this thing is almost like shooting a .22 pistol in terms of how easy, relaxing, non fatigue inducing it is. Combine that with the accuracy, reliability, belt fed like ammo capacity and fact this is an all steel REAL pistola and I like is immensely. It also addresses my one issue I personally had with my P-01 so big thumbs up for me.

WOULD I SUGGEST IT??
As a home defense gun absolutely everyday and twice on Sunday. Easy to shoot, good sights, accurate, light mount, holds a veritable box of ammo. Hell yeah, this thing has home defense written all over it.

As an ONLY gun or as a carry gun. Probably not. There are better options for somebody who wants ONE GUN or just a carry gun. If you are however in a jurisdiction where carry is not an option or you don't feel that will ever be an personal option for you then by all means give this thing a shot.

So there you have it another high drag low speed review from some damn idiot on the interwebz who has as much tactical know how as the militant wing of the Girl Scouts of America. So as always take my thoughts for what they are worth as I am no gunfighter nor do I have a desire to be one. I am just some joker with slightly more money then brains and the economic sense of an hungover Enron accountant.

As always,
Take care, shoot safe.
Chris
Old April 9, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2
tipoc

Thanks for the review.

tipoc
Old April 9, 2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger
So anyway I went in and what I found was indeed a cold war era design that was also a communist design......it is however far from obsolete.
A little history might be of interest for some reading this thread...

The SP-01 is a great gun, apparently developed for IDPA and USPSA competition in the U.S. It's size and weight just gets it in under the wire for the IDPA limits. That's also arguably why it's steel rather than alloy, like the smaller P-01 which has similar features. It's pretty clear that the SP-01was NEVER intended for concealed carry or even DUTY carry! That said, I still don't understand why CZ hasn't created more full-size alloy-framed guns...

The original CZ-75, upon which the SP-01 is based, was a COMMUNIST DESIGN, but only because it was designed in what was then a Communist Country. The CZ-75 was designed for export to the West, not for use in the Communist Bloc.

The original CZ-75 was not designed as a military weapon, was never used by any Warsaw Pact military units (except maybe some Soviet Special Ops teams), and wasn't even used by the military or police in Czechoslovakia until AFTER the Soviet Union fell apart. In fact, the Warsaw Pact didn't use 9mm Luger, and likely would never have put that gun into the Warsaw Pact inventory.

The Western embargo of Communist Bloc products by most NATO nations kept that attempt at a commercial venture from ever really getting off the ground. U.S. GI's could get CZs in West Germany thru Base or Post Exchanges; that included some very nice custom CZs made by Frankonia. Canada allowed CZs to be imported and some (somehow) made their way into the U.S. from Canada. CZs were sold more widely in the Middle East and Africa.

In many respects, the CZ-75 was NEW design when it was introduced. It was a peer of the SIG P220/P6 and the Glock 17, all of which came out in the mid- to late -1970s. All three of those designs are still alive and well.

The original CZ-75 was a SA/DA guns (as opposed to a DA/SA gun) -- one that could be easily/comfortably started from SA "cocked & locked" mode while also functioning just like a more conventional DA/SA gun, depending on the shooter's choice. Your SP-01, however, is a decocker model, like most SIGs.

The original CZ-75 looks a bit like the Browning/FN Hi-Power, but shares almost NOTHING with that design, except that both were very ergonomic designs and the two designs used the Browning Short-recoil Locked Breech design (as do the vast majority of modern semi-autos).

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 9, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old April 10, 2017, 03:14 AM   #4
Lexspeed

OP, I really enjoyed reading your review. I like your writing style and your approach to your evaluation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that pistol.
Old April 10, 2017, 06:11 AM   #5
Pilot

The SP-01 is a great range, and HD gun. My shooting buddy has one, so I have shot one a lot, and really, really like it. It is the safety model, not the decocker. I prefer the safety model, but that's just a personal preference, and no bid deal. I think the extra weight in the muzzle helps for target shooting. I've had CZ-75's for many years, and really like them, and would like an SP-01 at some point.
Old April 10, 2017, 10:54 AM   #6
tipoc

I've been wanting to try one of these but haven't seen one locally when I had the cash available.

It's interesting to read the comparison from CZ of the two variants of this gun CZ offers, as well as the comments on their website. So...

The SP01

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-0...ts-18-rd-mags/

and the SP01 Tactical which our cslinger has reviewed...

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-sp-0...ts-18-rd-mags/

tipoc
Old April 10, 2017, 11:06 AM   #7
cslinger

Far as I know the decocking mechanism is the only difference, well and all the added tactical of course. I mean I really don't think I could fast rope down to a roof with the pedestrian safety model. With mine, however, I think I have the confidence to do so. Money well spent.

I just read some comments. "I can outshoot $3000 race gun 1911s with ease".
Me thinks you might me able to outshoot somebody like me shooting a race gun but that might be a weee bit more difficult with somebody with actual talent and a bazillion rounds of practice.
Old April 10, 2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
as far as I know the decocking mechanism is the only difference, well and all the added tactical of course. I mean I really don't think I could fast rope down to a roof with the pedestrian safety model. With mine, however, I think I have the confidence to do so. Money well spent.
A subtle difference between the decocker and safety model is that in making room for the decocker mechanism required the removal of one hammer hook.

As for the decocker model's added safety (i.e., it being less likely to be accidentally or negligently discharged) ... if you carried the safety model on the half-cock notch you would have exactly the same level of safety/security as with the decocker model when decocked -- as the decocker simply lowers the hammer to that position, which you could do manually. You could also carry either with the hammer fully down, too, for an extra margin of possibly theoretical safety. And, of course, both come equipped with a firing pin block.

I would prefer starting from cocked & locked, but in some of the gun games (which are games), that could put you into a different competition class. Gun games don't generally require fast-roping...

That said, you could be equally safe/confident with either model.
Old April 10, 2017, 12:34 PM   #9
cslinger

Absolutely and the safety model CZs tend to have a better trigger. Neither is inherently safer then the other. I was just joking about it's tacticalness
Old April 10, 2017, 01:40 PM   #10
tipoc

Quote:
I was just joking about it's tacticalness
It's painted black...of course it's tactical. And FYI Operators don't joke about such things, and don't call me Shirley.

tipoc
Old April 10, 2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Absolutely and the safety model CZs tend to have a better trigger.
The triggers OUGHT to be the same, as internally (except for one less hammer hook in the decocker model) the fire control mechanism is the same.

When you see or feel a difference, I think it's more the luck of the draw (i.e., just the way they come off the assembly line) than anything that can be attributed to the safety's or decocker's presence.

The decocker models, because they start from half-cock, sometimes seem better than a safety model, when starting from hammer down, because the trigger pull is less long and a hair lighter. Followup shots (which are SA) should be the same, but you can find examples of either type that seem better than the other.

If you haven't had trigger work done on your SP-01, you should check into the competition hammers offered by CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works. It's basically a drop in part, and it greatly improves the trigger. (It also does away with the rearward movement of the hammer in SA mode, before it drops.)
Old April 10, 2017, 07:39 PM   #12
Bart Noir

In the last 4 months I have been rather thoroughly See-Zee'd. It started with the P-01, followed by the P-07, and a couple of weeks back I bought a CZ-75 Cold War limited edition.

That last one is a recent CZ-75 which looks old and has Russian-ish markings. Google it for details. The trigger guard and hammer look like the very first CZ-75 but the internals are modern, as in it has a firing pin block.

So mine is actually more of a "Commie"

That P-01 has a very nice DA/SA action. It is the best I have ever seen from a factory, in any DA/SA pistol. And I've seen and shot just about all there is on the market. Maybe I was lucky and found one of the "very good" ones.

I certainly hope that the Cold War model will smooth up a bit and be as nice as the P-01. I might be willing to have internal work done on it but I do not want to replace the sights or hammer, as I think it may have some collector value someday. Only 2,000 made.

With the slender standard CZ-75 shape it is easy to forget it is an all-steel gun. I am sure that the SP-01 must be noticeably heavier, with all that extra metal out front.

Bart Noir
Old April 10, 2017, 07:41 PM   #13
Bart Noir

Walt, one other thing the CZ-75 has in common with the Browning Hi-Power is the double stack magazine. I believe it was JMB's Belgian co-worker who invented that style of magazine and the BHP was the first to have it.

Bart Noir
Old April 10, 2017, 08:05 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

True -- and CZ increased mag capacity from 13 (in the Hi-Power) to 15. Not a big difference, but there was a time when 15 seemed like a LOT!!

(SIG didn't go to double-stacks until several years later, after -- I think -- Glock did it. Had CZ been able to compete in the West, I think we would have seen a lot of other changes FORCED on the market.)
Old April 10, 2017, 08:10 PM   #15
cslinger

I think the P226 came in around 79??? Don't quote me but that predates the G17 by a couple years I believe.
Old April 10, 2017, 10:22 PM   #16
ThomasT

What knife is in the first picture with the gun? I am on the hunt for a new knife and I like the way that one looks. Is it assisted opening?

Nice gun too.

I went back and read your very thorough review. Excellent except now you have me wanting one. And I already have the bug for a new gun. So this ain't helping. And all steel? Thats even better. I like metal. I grew up running machines in my dads machine shop and I like metal. Thanks.

Last edited by ThomasT; April 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old April 10, 2017, 10:27 PM   #17
cslinger

It's a fixed blade. Benchmade Nimvarus.
http://www.benchmade.com/nimravus-family.html
Old April 10, 2017, 10:38 PM   #18
ThomasT

Thanks. I looked at the link. I like the shape but was hoping it was a folder. They call it a drop point but it looks more like a spear point to me and I like spear point blades. But I guess those are pretty interchangeable terms. I just got a new Cold Steel catalog and have spent a couple of hours looking over the knives offered there. There are so many i can't make a choice. There is nothing better than a good knife.
Old April 10, 2017, 11:25 PM   #19
tipoc

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at the link. I like the shape but was hoping it was a folder. They call it a drop point but it looks more like a spear point to me and I like spear point blades. But I guess those are pretty interchangeable terms.
Another topic, but no the Spear point and drop point are quite different. Thogh they can look similar from a distance. The spear point is generally sharpened on both sides of the blade, like a spear. Often used in daggers or fighting knives. In the latter the spine of the blade can be sharpened for 2-3 inches back from the tip and blunt from there back. While the drop point is blunt along the spine of the blade from tip to guard. The latter was popularized by Bob Loveless as a hunting skinning blade where the finger, laid along the spine, placed the tip of the blade just a bit forward of the finger for good control of the blade and you always know where the tip of the blade is, as it's in line with the finger.

You can see more here.

https://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-112.html

https://www.theknifeconnection.net/blade-types/

http://lansky.com/index.php/blog/kni.../#.WOxaxNLyvIU

tipoc
Old April 11, 2017, 01:06 AM   #20
armoredman

Very nice review, sire very nice indeed, love the writing style.
There are a few of us who DO carry SP-01 pistols on a regular basis...of course, I cheat - mine's a Phantom.
Old April 11, 2017, 08:22 AM   #21
cslinger

And now she has new shoes and is purty....ish.
Old April 11, 2017, 08:38 AM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I think the P226 came in around 79??? Don't quote me but that predates the G17 by a couple years I believe.
You're right about the Glock entering service later than the late '70s, it was '82. But the 226 didn't go into production in '84 according to Wikipedia (my most often accessed source... that may be wrong.)

The CZ-75 entered production in 76.

I think Glock changed the nature of the handgun market in the West, and had the CZ been available it might've had a similar effect and would have gained a much greater following. Had the Soviet Union collapsed a few years earlier, things might've gone in a different direction. It really wasn't until IPSC gained a following in Europe that the CZ-pattern guns (including Tanfoglio loose copies) became very popular.

I think the new P-09 and P-07, and well as the P-10c are the wave of the future for CZ; they'll keep the others around, but polymer and "striker" are the new direction. I'd love to be able to try a P10c.

If you were closer, I'd let you try my Sphinx SDP -- which is very impressive -- a CZ-pattern gun done a little better. (Except for a heavy trigger out of the box, easily fixed with a lighter CZ Compact hammer spring from Wolff, the gun is about as good as you'll find for anything close to the same money. The CZ Custom Shop offers tuned guns that compete, but they actually cost more! And Cajun Gun Works offer tuning and parts kits might be a cheaper path to similar functionality.)
Old April 11, 2017, 09:11 AM   #23
cslinger

I have shot one of the old sphinx's when they were damn near custom guns and they were quite impressive to say the least. To call them an expensive CZ75 was so far from reality it was crazy.
Old April 11, 2017, 03:08 PM   #24
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I have shot one of the old sphinx's when they were damn near custom guns and they were quite impressive to say the least. To call them an expensive CZ75 was so far from reality it was crazy.
I liken them to CZs on steroids.

The new Sphinx SDP is very nicely fit and finished, but done with much less "hand work" than was the case with the older Sphinx guns. The new SDP was redesigned so that it could be made with more focus on CNC manufacturing and sold competitively with the higher priced SIGs and H&K guns.

I had two of the 2000 series Sphinxs and they looked great and shot better. They're still offering the 3000 series which is a true top-line IPSC capable gun. (And like the SDP, the 3000 series guns have steel slides, but have a modular frame design, which allows them to use steel, alloy, and polymer in different parts of the frame.

There's a whole 'nother level of CZ guns avaialble, and while they're pricier, they're also very, very nicely done -- and all about competition. You may have to download the 2017 catalog from the CZ-USA website to see them, as they website doesn't seem to be fully functional, yet. Here's two worth attention. I can't afford them. I think they could be considered semi-custom guns, at least -- and the Czechmate may be a true custom in terms of attention paid to the work done, etc.

The Tactical Sport Orange:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-tactical-sport-orange/

The Czechmate:

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-ts-c...-1x26-rd-mags/

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 11, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 12, 2017, 12:25 PM   #25
jackstrawIII

Have one. Love it as a nightstand gun.

This gun makes me look good at the range, it's so easy to shoot.