The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 25, 2001, 03:53 PM   #1
Badger Arms

I'd like others to share their experience with legal rapid-fire devices on the market. I'd like to know your impression of their functionality, positive and negative aspects of each. As I understand it, there are three different categories of BATF approved mechanisms.

The first is the inertia type. This is where a device applies pressure to the rear of the trigger so that when the gun fires, the momentum of the weapon combined with the spring overcome the finger pressure and reset the trigger so that the rhythm of the weapon fires the gun again. Hellfire is an example.

The second is the crank type. A mechanical crank is used to depress and release the trigger multiple times as you turn the crank. Examples are the GAT, BMF Activator, and many machine-shop setups involving 10/22's or M-1 Carbines placed in a jig.

The third is the two-shot conversion. This is done by filing or otherwise rigging the secondary sear so that, although it catches the hammer after firing, it releases the hammer to fire again when pressure on the trigger is released. This results in two shots per pull and release of the trigger. Apparently, BATF considers this to be more than one manipulation of the trigger or something.

If there are any more categories, please inform me.
Old February 27, 2001, 11:38 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Anybody?
Old February 28, 2001, 11:03 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I've never really played with any of them but my dad told me tht a variation of the BMF Activator was around when he was younger. (He didn't say how much younger but I guessimate he's talking post WWII).
My take on these are that they're alright for rather indiscriminate throwing of lead though I'm not sure of much accuracy. More of a miniature area weapon. The only ones I've ever seen that looked anything like near accurate fire were the old twin 10/22s on a mount (and their newer variants) and that's only because they were mounted and not handheld.
Would be fun to spray and pray with a .22lr though.
Old March 4, 2001, 01:58 AM   #4
George Helser

Badger Arms,

In many states, real full auto weapons are legal. I prefer the MP5 myself. I would call this the "REAL TYPE".

Happy shooting!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old March 4, 2001, 05:14 AM   #5
Badger Arms

Rats, George, they aren't legal here! Also, in Alaska they are Legal but I tried for 8 years up there to get somebody to sign my form 4 and NOBODY would do it. Legal is a relative term to politicians.

Anyhow, I agree. Having fired a few legal ones in my time, I definitely agree that that's the way to go if you have the means.