The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 27, 2001, 11:08 AM   #1
Join Date: December 2, 2000
Posts: 54
I am not sure if I posted this in the correct forum, but I was looking through a H&K Catalog, they have a shotgun with a 14"barrel, there is a note on it that BATF Charges Apply...

What does BATF Charges apply mean? What are they for and how much???

Bob243 is offline  
Old January 27, 2001, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: April 11, 1999
Posts: 1,904
Shotguns with barrles under 18" are in the same legal category as machineguns, as defined by the National Fireams Act of 1934 (NFA). To legally obtain one, you must fill out some BATF paperwork, get fingerprinted, get photographed, get permission of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (sheriff, judge, AG, DA, ...), wait a couple months for the BATF to process all this, and pay a $200 tax. For all this red tape, time, money, and possible hassles (CLEOs often refuse to sign - no signature, no gun), you get federal permission to possess the gun, your name on permanent federal records as "owner of really nasty gun", and must ask the BATF for permission to take it out of state.

Go hang out in TFL's "Full Auto" forum for a while; the focus there is on machineguns but is a catch-all for any NFA-related guns and issues.

Be aware too that many states prohibit short-barreled shotguns.
ctdonath is offline  
Old January 27, 2001, 03:47 PM   #3
Join Date: December 2, 2000
Posts: 54
OK, I was just wondering what that ment.... Thanks for your info....
Bob243 is offline  
Old January 27, 2001, 04:30 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Join Date: October 6, 1998
Location: South Florida
Posts: 10,204
Even though the question's been answered, we'll move this to the Shotgun Forum for posterity.
Rich Lucibella is offline  
Old January 27, 2001, 04:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: January 19, 2000
Posts: 846
I was under the impression that a shotgun manufactured with a short barrel was an AOW (any other weapon), with a $5 tax instead of a $200 tax. Of course, it's a moot point if you live in one of the states that doesn't allow it at all.

911 - Gov't-sponsored dial-a-prayer!
Support the US Olympic Shooting Team!
Protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
Gorthaur is offline  
Old January 27, 2001, 05:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: January 25, 2000
Posts: 4,625
Not to mention that in many cities the chief law enforcement officer is often pressured into not signing the Form 4's, even though the law mandates that he must. If you want to challenge him, you can spend $20,000 to $30,000 to sue him. You'll win, but that's a lot of dough.

Monkeyleg is offline  
Old January 28, 2001, 10:58 AM   #7
Staff Alumnus
Join Date: October 12, 1998
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,986
If it was originally prodcued as a shotgun (i.e. with a buttstock) then it is legally considered a short barrelled shotgun (sbs). If the receiver came new from the factory and has never had a buttstock attached and was originally built in it's class three configuartion (pistol grop stock nd short barrel) then it's an AOW (Any Other Weapon). HTH
fal308 is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.09649 seconds with 7 queries