The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 31, 2014, 02:13 PM   #26
manta49

Quote:
Shotgun myths attract posers. And they can be dangerous. Mas Ayoob reports a guy who heard the noise outside. Went outside to rack his shotgun and scare away the demons with the noise. Well, it was the police looking for a crook. When he came out and did the macho display, he was shot.
I think the result would have being the similar if he did the same with any firearm.
Old July 31, 2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta49
I think the result would have being the similar if he did the same with any firearm.
Probably, but that's not the point. The point is that the sound of a pump shotgun is legendary, and people are often specifically advised to use the sound as a deterrent for criminals.

Several times a day at almost every LGS in the US, there's probably at least one employee or customer talking about the deterrent effect of the sound of the action on a pump shotgun. Yet you almost never hear anyone talk about the deterrent effect of a handgun slide or an AR bolt being racked.
Old July 31, 2014, 06:10 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Shotgun myths attract posers. And they can be dangerous. Mas Ayoob reports a guy who heard the noise outside. Went outside to rack his shotgun and scare away the demons with the noise. Well, it was the police looking for a crook. When he came out and did the macho display, he was shot.
You can attach a bad outcome to virtually any stupid act.

Quote:
Probably, but that's not the point. The point is that the sound of a pump shotgun is legendary, and people are often specifically advised to use the sound as a deterrent for criminals.

Several times a day at almost every LGS in the US, there's probably at least one employee or customer talking about the deterrent effect of the sound of the action on a pump shotgun. Yet you almost never hear anyone talk about the deterrent effect of a handgun slide or an AR bolt being racked.
You don't find many who sell guns talking about the deterrent effect of turning on a light either. I don't know that the sound is legendary, but the claim of deterrence surely is, regardless of validity.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:14 PM   #29
Mainah

I was advised (by a guy at a trusted gun shop) that activating a laser sight would deter bad guys when they saw it on the walls inside my house. If that kind of advice worked I could get by with the laser pen I got for the cats and a smartphone app that produces shotgun racking sounds. Or I could just put an NRA sticker on the front door and hope for the best.

I don't think that dumb advice should completely rule out the effectiveness of proven weapons. A shotgun is a great hd choice for many. A laser sight is a good tool.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:35 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

I heard a guy at Cabelas want to buy a pump because he told the clerk he wanted to make the racking sound. He also wanted some blanks in case the racking sound didn't work. The clerk suggested also getting some rubber buckshot.

Genius!
Old July 31, 2014, 08:43 PM   #31
Mainah

The poor guy probably walked out with a bayonet for his Buck knife. "Stuff I heard at Cabelas" would be a great forum.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:52 PM   #32
gyvel

Quote:
All,

Please do not go off-topic; this is NOT a thread about what YOU use for home defense. Unless you are a member of the type of unit I described above, I (frankly) don't care.
Then why don't you directly contact each of the "professionals" you listed and ask them yourself.

And while you're at it, see if any of them have ever had a "home defense" situation.
SIFE
Old July 31, 2014, 09:17 PM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

I think we are done.

Let's all sit in the dark living room with a Barrett 50 BMG and wait for the zombies!