The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 3, 2014, 09:46 PM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
Look, I can buy a light-weight Hi-Point 9mm carbine if all I want is something that works ok for semi-auto fire. I am sure there are plenty of cheaply made guns that work ok for that purpose. 1.5 and 1.6mm receiver AK's with chrome lined barrels and decent parts are "full-auto" capable, except for some holes and some parts. 1mm receiver AK's are simply not as "full-auto" ready as the heavier ones.
The fact that you are saying current-issue military select-fire AK-74M and AK-100-series rifles are not "full auto ready" (or are cheaply-made guns) tells me you are ignorant (or choose to be ignorant) of the subject.

Sorry to be blunt, but that tells me that there's not really much else to discuss here.
Old June 4, 2014, 06:36 AM   #27
Deerhunter

Thanks again for the helpful information

Question though....why are some people even bringing up full auto fire? I have no need for this to be full auto. I am buying it as a semi auto gun. If I had the money and wanted to buy something full auto I would do that versus buying a semi and converting it.

Again this is just something to take out and shoot targets with. Just figured why not add an AK to my collection.

I really appreciate the good info. I have been reading a lot about AKs the last couple of weeks. There is a ton of info out there, too much to really hammer down on. I am by no means an expert on any one gun type, but I really don't know much at all about AKs so this has been a great thread for me.
Old June 4, 2014, 07:13 AM   #28
SR420

I owned a Norinco under folder... no question about it, the rifle had a high visual cool factor, but it's ergonomics sucked.
I prefer the fixed stock type 56S.
Old June 4, 2014, 09:22 AM   #29
highpower3006

The thicker stamped receiver AK's were basically for grenade launching. They have been made with 1mm receivers for years and years with no appreciable decrease in longevity, even when used as grenade launching platforms.

I doubt seriously, if you will wear out any quality AK of any type in your lifetime. I have both a 1.5mm receiver M70 and a 1 mm M70AB2 and I like both of them.

If I was just going to have one AK, I would buy an OPAP. They are built like tanks and are a quality rifle. That being said, I think the underfolders are cool too, but they are not as comfortable to shoot with the folding stock.

Either way, for the money, you can't go wrong with a Zastava made rifle.

Old June 4, 2014, 07:51 PM   #30
Bart Noir

Yes, the underfolders are cool and that is one reason that half of the AKs I've owned have been UF models.

But I simplified and now only own a sidefolder, the left side version that was developed for the Soviet military. I cannot imagine that stock getting loose and sloppy yet I certainly have run across wobbly underfolders.

And some of the underfolders latch up with the stock not fully in line with the barrel. That doesn't work for me although I will say the Yugo M70 UF was just right, latching at no angle to the barrel and being tight when latched open.

But what about after years of service life and abuse? They do sometimes get loose.

I was looking at the wire stocks that fold to the right, based on Polish or E. German models. There is a US company making add-on cheek pieces for those and that combination of parts might have worked for me. I'll never know...

Bart Noir
Old June 5, 2014, 09:03 AM   #31
Skans

Quote:
But what about after years of service life and abuse? They do sometimes get loose.
Then simply replace the part that is causing the problem. Mine is tight as a drum and perfectly straight. The spring is almost too stiff. But, if it were ever to wear out, I'd just replace it. The trunnion and the receiver don't wear out.

As far as the 1mm receiver thing goes, I just don't get it - when there are plenty of AK's now being built on good milled receivers, 1.5mm and even 1.6mm receivers, why would anyone opt for a 1mm AK at roughly the same price? There was a youtube video which showed just how much flex a 1mm receiver endures with each shot - maybe someone can find it again.
Old June 5, 2014, 10:15 AM   #32
Deerhunter

Highpower

Those are some nice looking AKs. Thanks for sharing the picture
Old June 11, 2014, 07:21 AM   #33
Deerhunter

Went with the Yugo Zastava N-PAP Under folder from Atlantic Firearms. Blaine was awesome to deal with. I had a few questions and he took the time to give me a call and talk about the AKs. Picking it up either today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help
Old June 11, 2014, 09:52 PM   #34
Justice06RR

Quote:
Question though....why are some people even bringing up full auto fire? I have no need for this to be full auto. I am buying it as a semi auto gun. If I had the money and wanted to buy something full auto I would do that versus buying a semi and converting it.
Beats me.

The underfolder is a non-issue too, and frankly a preference. If you like it and think they are collectible, good for you. It doesn't help anyone who doesn't want that config or don't collect rifles.

My vote goes for a converted Saiga AK under $700, or the NPap if you want to save a few.
Old June 12, 2014, 05:38 AM   #35
Brotherbadger

Quote:
Went with the Yugo Zastava N-PAP Under folder from Atlantic Firearms. Blaine was awesome to deal with. I had a few questions and he took the time to give me a call and talk about the AKs. Picking it up either today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help
Congrats! Don't forget to give us a range report on how it shoots once you get some range time in.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old June 12, 2014, 07:32 AM   #36
Deerhunter

Will do.

I picked it up last night. Need to make some changes. The Tapco pistol grip sucks. I also don't like the feel of the Tapco trigger. Those will have to be changed. The furniture on it is basically unfinished. From the pictures on the site I got it from they look nice and smooth. They are pretty rough. Not sure if it would be better to just buy a new set or maybe it would be pretty easy to just take the ones that came on it off, lightly sand them and clear coat them. I like the color.

Other then that the gun is real nice. Stock needs to be broken in so it moves easier but that will loosen up over time. Overall I really like it and can't wait to get it to the range.

Next up is to buy a fixed stock AK. I got the Yugo out of the Zastava factory. Now for a Russian AK out of the Izmash factory.
Old June 12, 2014, 08:49 AM   #37
blfuller

Quote:
I picked it up last night.
Pics or it never happened.

I'd take off the wood and smooth it up and apply sever coats of Tung oil and finish it off with some paste wax.
Old June 12, 2014, 10:19 AM   #38
gyvel

I don't know if this would apply to current Zastava production, but a friend of mine and I bought two Zastavas that were imported by American Arms just before the civil war started. Some of the parts, and specifically the buttstocks, DO NOT interchange with other AK parts and aftermarket accessories.

Be aware of that when you make your choice.
Old June 12, 2014, 10:46 AM   #39
Deerhunter

Thanks

Buttstock isn't an issue since it is an under folder. Might be an issue with the forearm though. I am probably just going to finish it to make it smoother and nicer looking. The pistol grip needs to be replaced though for sure
Old June 13, 2014, 08:39 AM   #40
blfuller

Quote:
The pistol grip needs to be replaced though for sure
Be aware that you will need to replace the pistol grip with a US manufactured part due to import restrictions. Hogue, Ergo Grip and MagPul are a few of the better US made polymer pistol grips. Hogue is good if you have large hands.

Any part you replace that is marked US needs to be replaced with a US part.
Old June 13, 2014, 12:17 PM   #41
Deerhunter

blfuller

That is one of the things I did a bunch of reading on. I appreciate you bringing it up though just in case I hadn't known that.

Thanks for the info on grips to look at. I have Hogue grips on 2 of my pistols and really like them.

Plan now is to go ahead and take the wood furniture off, lightly sand it and then oil it. I don't want to change the color, just want it to be more finished.

As far as getting the AK. I had some other questions and sent an email to Atlantic Firearms. Blaine contacted me back and called to discuss my questions. I ordered the AK on Friday evening knowing the website said it could take 5-7 days for it to ship. I checked my email Monday and it had already shipped and was due at the FFL on Tuesday. I picked the AK up on Wednesday.

I had posted those questions about the furniture and grip here and also sent an email to Atlantic. Matt called me and we had a nice talk yesterday afternoon.

I had ordered 4 extra mags with the AK. When I got them 3 were new with only a slight mark on the top like they had been put into an AK. Comet to find out that they took the time to insert each mag they were sending me into the AK they were sending me to ensure there wouldn't be any issues. Now that there is top notch customer service.
Old June 15, 2014, 10:21 AM   #42
RickE

I'll add my vote for the Saiga.
Old June 17, 2014, 02:36 PM   #43
Bart Noir

I've installed both the Magpul and the US Palm pistol grips on AKs of mine. I like them both and they are big improvements over original Russian design or the Yugo design.

The US Palm has a nice curve to the backstrap and I think maybe I prefer that one. You can't go wrong with either.

Bart Noir
Old June 17, 2014, 07:47 PM   #44
filthy phil

Real happy with my century underfolder. Gave it a good rapid-fire breakin (it does need a better handguard if engaging in this activity) zero malfunctions and some places are selling these for $500 now