The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 4, 2014, 05:26 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Throw gun owners in Jail

Just to show you how some California people think see this fake petition and college people sighing it.
Confiscation and put all gun owners in a FEMA prison. Oh, I forgot, shoot them with there own guns.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2014/0...2nd-amendment/

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 4, 2014, 05:27 PM   #2
southjk

Good grief. People will sign anything.
Old February 4, 2014, 05:38 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Penn and Teller did the same thing years ago. They went to a music festival and got people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide.

Honestly, dumb people do dumb things in crowds. They do dumb things when you shove a clipboard in front of them. They do dumb things in general.

At the moment, this thread is barely gun-related. Let's not stray too far from the beaten path.
Old February 4, 2014, 06:54 PM   #4
larryh1108

The scary part is that these college students will be running for office in a few years. It just goes to show how ignorant the anti-gun crowd is and how dangerous they can be when given the power to make laws. It's been a good 30 years since the anti-gun push moved to the forefront. That's an entire generation. One more generation and these kids will repeal the 2nd amendment because guns are evil. Scary stuff.....
Old February 4, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Man Show....

The Man Show on Comedy Central did the same gag with a bit about the woman's Sufferage movement(granting women the right to vote).

Jimmy Kimmel & Adam Carolla went around a large mall asking women to sign a fake petition against women's Sufferage.

It always amazes me how fast people in public situations can be manipulated or are conditioned to react so fast.

Last month on New Years Day, I saw a group of empty lounge chairs in a large mall. I sat down & waited for a friend to shop in a Macys department store.
Within 10min, at least 5 other people sat down at the other chairs.
Old February 4, 2014, 08:02 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

If you accept the theory that humans are evolved from apes, then people having their own version of monkey see, monkey do should come as no surprise.

Stand around almost anywhere, and just look up. Don't say anything, don't point, just stand quietly, looking up. At first, a few will look up, for a bit, then go on their way. But if you just keep standing there, after a while you will have a crowd of people standing there, looking up, trying to see whatever it is that you are looking at.....
Old February 4, 2014, 08:07 PM   #7
Nickel Plated

Would be a good idea if he then handed them a flier or something after they sign explaining what they have just done. Might actually educate some folks.
As it is they just walk away like nothing happened, thinking they did the right thing.
Old February 4, 2014, 08:09 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Arm crossing....

It also works with arm crossing.
Stand with your arms crossed and within a few minutes someone else will too.
Old February 5, 2014, 12:30 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's be a touch careful on comments. Deleted some.

Glenn
Old February 5, 2014, 02:28 PM   #10
the1mu

One observation I had was that many of the people appeared to be Asian (not trying to be racist) but I wondered how many may have been exchange students coming from places that already have strict gun control and therefore are highly conditioned to hold that viewpoint and/or didn't actually understand what they were signing.
Old February 5, 2014, 03:20 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Sampling problem. California schools have a much higher percent of Asian students than many locations.

So drop race, ethnicity.
Old February 5, 2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Don P

Awhile back Fox had a reporter on and in California he was on one of the piers with a clip board. First was a petition to repeal the second amendment folks stopped signed and walked off happy. The next time the reporter did it the petition was to repeal the first amendment and folks were all for it.
Makes you think doesn't it? They have the right to vote ( god help us) and they also have the right and capability to reproduce (god help us again)
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 5, 2014, 05:35 PM   #13
carguychris

I know Glenn said to drop race and ethnicity, but I'll try to keep this neutral, as I think it contributes to the discussion.

I've frequently observed the opposite of the "highly conditioned" argument. I find that many immigrants are thrilled and excited at their ability to enjoy freedoms that are denied to them in their home country, and often take a keen interest in these activities.

I find that anti-1A and 2A viewpoints are more often expressed by people who have lived here long enough to begin viewing such activities (or the people who typically participate in them) as obnoxious.
Old February 5, 2014, 05:49 PM   #14
the1mu

carguychris, I agree with you. I have seen many people from that background who have discovered the joys of liberty. But would also submit that the key word is "discovered". Having lived in Asia and my wife went to a very Asian school in Colorado, most of those Asians that I have personally met, have maintained a very non-liberty perspective on life and social issues. So, I don't think we should completely disregard the issue of race in this discussion (but it doesn't tell the whole story either).

That being said, I do think the greater issue is simply that people are too easily duped into signing something they don't understand. I can't remember which founding father said it, but the idea is that for our system of government (one based on liberty's and freedom) requires a well educated populace. And videos like this are a testament to how our government has been allowed to shift so far away from being a "pure" constitutional republic.
Old February 5, 2014, 07:38 PM   #15
dogtown tom

"Not allowed in my country"

Quote:
carguychris I know Glenn said to drop race and ethnicity, but I'll try to keep this neutral, as I think it contributes to the discussion.

I've frequently observed the opposite of the "highly conditioned" argument. I find that many immigrants are thrilled and excited at their ability to enjoy freedoms that are denied to them in their home country, and often take a keen interest in these activities.
+20-30..................that's how many gun transfers I've done for Chinese & Taiwanese students from the University of Texas at Dallas (which is actually in carguychris' backyard )

Because they are here on a "nonimmigrant visa" they have to jump through an additional hoop...........they must have a Texas Hunting License to buy guns or ammunition. Sadly, some local gun stores have turned them away saying "you have to be a US citizen to buy guns". (which isn't remotely correct)

Every single one of them has been absolutely delighted to be able to buy guns and shoot them. And its not just guys either.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 5, 2014, 07:56 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Couldn't agree more. If you want to see someone who knows what freedom is about, talk to a legal immigrant from any second-rate government in the world.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:26 AM   #17
Skans

I've known for a long time that many, if not most, antis really do feel that gun owners need to be punished.
Old February 7, 2014, 03:27 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

I think I heard someone say "ignorance creates fear, fear turns to hate..." or something like that.

I can understand fear (don't agree, but understand), I have been told the shrinks (not a slur I just can't spell psycoljgkfdjglist) call it projection. They know they aren't safe with a gun, so they project everyone else must be as well.

What I don't understand is the hate. The calls for actual violence. And the fact that how can they be so smug (and so stupid) as to threaten people, the ONLY thing they know about them is that they HAVE A GUN!

Idiots.
Old February 7, 2014, 03:54 AM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro
If you want to see someone who knows what freedom is about, talk to a legal immigrant from any second-rate government in the world.
That reminds me of a customer I had when I used to work at an LGS. He was in his 50s and he was an immigrant from Eastern Europe who had earned his US citizenship. He was filling out the 4473 and he got to the question asking if he had ever renounced his US citizenship. Well, he had a hard time understanding the question. He gave me a very confused look and said, "Why in the world would anyone give up their citizenship? America is the best country on Earth!"
Old February 7, 2014, 08:31 AM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I've known for a long time that many, if not most, antis really do feel that gun owners need to be punished.
That was pretty much the tenor of the post-Newtown rhetoric if you looked closely enough.
Old February 7, 2014, 02:15 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Game plan

Quote:

That was pretty much the tenor of the post-Newtown rhetoric if you looked closely enough.
I think that was because the Newtown shooting was a perfect match for the game plan that they developed after the Stockton Ca school shooting.

have you noticed that while there are always calls for more gun control, they are less strident, pushed with less energy, and less hateful after incidents where the killer is taken alive?

When they actually have a live killer in custody, the primary focus is on them, with gun control tacked on.

When the killer(s) kill themselves, ALL the focus seems to be on the gun(s), with anything about the killer tacked on, maybe...

The "evil" gun did it, not the evil person.....so they seem to think. And therefore, all the rest of us with guns must be evil too, after all, we have those "evil" things, by CHOICE!

Its not PC to profile people by what they are, but apparently its fine by them to profile people by what they choose to own...seems a rather odd double standard to me...
Old February 7, 2014, 05:34 PM   #22
Ozzieman

The "evil" gun did it, not the evil person
That’s true until you walk out to your truck from the grocery store, which has an NRA sticker on the back window and some lady putting groceries in her mini-van next spot starts calling you baby killer at the top of her voice.
Then YOU are the evil.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old February 7, 2014, 07:38 PM   #23
feets

Don't you guys remember the petitions to ban dihydrogen monoxide, carbon dioxide, sodium chloride, and even supporting a Holocost beach party?

It's just another exercise to show the lack of thinking in the American public.
Old February 8, 2014, 11:06 AM   #24
Skans

Quote:
Don't you guys remember the petitions to ban dihydrogen monoxide, carbon dioxide, sodium chloride,
This isn't funny. I'm banned from using dihydrogen monoxide on my vegitation 6 days a week; Obama wants to tax me for making carbon dioxide, and Bloomberg has already banned glucopyranosyl-fructofuranoside and is working on banning sodium chloride as well.

You need to take these petitions seriously. The other 99% of your countrymen do.
Old February 8, 2014, 07:33 PM   #25
Merad

The optimist in me would like to believe that people just don't pay attention to these things because they know that such petitions are totally pointless. The realist in me keeps saying, "people are stupid."