The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 1, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Rem1187

Scope for Swiss K31

Hey guys,

Today I was lucky enough to pick up a really nice Swiss K31, the k31 is a rifle that ive always wanted so im naturally very excited! Im not sure what year the rifle was made but maybe one of you can tell me how i can figure it out.

The previous owner also gave me a st marie clamp on mount 3/8" and some Weaver .22 tip off aluminum rings. The package from the rings says fits up to 36mm OBJ lens, I assume that means that with these rings mounting a 40mm scope is not possible.

I was hoping to get some suggestions from the k31/long range shooters on a good scope to put on this gun. I would like to spend absolutely no more than $250 and would use the setup for casual shooting between 50 and 400 yards. I may also use the rifle for some occasional deer hunting if the chance presents itself. Please let me know if you have suggestions for a scope that i could use with my current rings.

Also if you believe that my current rings are a no-go please explain why and provide me with a new rings/scope recommendation.

For those who have experience with the ST Marie mount what is the best way to zero to take into account the effect of scope offset on POI?

Thank you all for your help! Very much appreciate the expertise!
Old February 1, 2014, 05:44 PM   #2
the rifleer

I use a bushnell 3200 10x mil dot scope with millet scope rings, its a good set up.. You MUST get good scope rings. The k31 scope adapter has .22 mounts, so most scope rings are aluminum. Spend about $30 for good rings.

If you buy aluminum .22 scope rings the scope WILL move, even if you tighten it.

Look into a refield or nikon prostaff scope.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:00 PM   #3
lonniemike

Rem, I'd buy the best used Leupold available. Small and lite isn't a bad thing. Mine isn't small or light. Serial numbers will lead to date. Also wood under the butt plate is usually is same date(or close to). Or it is possiblelly an arsenal restock issue date. My StMarie mounts and rifles apparently don't know that their alum rings are supposed to slip nor that they will not accept the 48mm OD of my largest objective lens. Use your iron sights to get your aim point at various yard/meters and don't overthink the offset scope just aim about 3/4" off to the right at any range you shoot at and there you go.Best
Old February 1, 2014, 10:13 PM   #4
Rem1187

thanks for the replys guys!
Old February 2, 2014, 02:40 PM   #5
tobnpr

Set my son's up with the St. Marie mount, but used the d&t one.

Also used the Bushnell Tactical 10x- it's a great value. There are adapters made (forget where I got ours) to use typical Picatinny or Weaver rings for the scope.

Keep in mind that as with any offset mount, if zeroed to point of aim it will only be for that specific distance as the optic is not centered over the bore.
www.biggorillagunworks.com

Last edited by tobnpr; February 2, 2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old February 2, 2014, 05:22 PM   #6
g.willikers

Swiss manufacture dates:
http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...s#.Uu7E7ptv4eI
Old February 2, 2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Rem1187

thank you for the continued replies!

willikers that link was really helpful! looks like i have a 1948 rifle!

I have pretty much decided to go with a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope with BDC reticle and I think I will use the warne 7.3 medium rings.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod44671.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod16768.aspx

Can anyone confirm that Warne rings will work with the ST Marie mount and this scope??

Also if anyone has experience with this scope please share!

Thanks again!
Old February 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Rem1187

Anyone know anything about the vortex scope and warne rings ?
Old February 3, 2014, 01:08 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Any scope suitable for the .308 WIN class of rounds will be good for the 7.5mm Swiss (and that means just about all of them).

A friend of mine got one of the K31s when they first came in, and were still dirt cheap. The scope mount he got cost more than the rifle (around $70 at the time). Don't know who made it (I thought it was swiss) but it takes regular 1-inch tube diameter scopes/rings. It is mounted on what I always think of as the "wong" side of the rifle, though.
Old February 3, 2014, 02:43 PM   #10
hodaka

I like the match between the K-31 and an El Paso Weaver steel tube 4X scope. Mine is mounted on a St. Marie clamp on mount and looks like it belongs there.

My K31 was made in the 40's and the Weavers in the 60's. Close enough.
Old February 3, 2014, 05:27 PM   #11
tobnpr

I'd still get the dovetail to Weaver adapter, and use "regular" Weaver rings. Maybe not a big deal, but the base and rings are designed for rimfires...not .30 cal.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod18690.aspx
www.biggorillagunworks.com