The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Mystro

Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:24 PM   #27
ColColt

Another problem with these is they don't come with factory sights. I'll bet you could have done better with those.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:30 PM   #28
Mystro

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:33 PM   #29
ColColt

Yeah, that's the ticket. I'd call Winchester and see if you could get some of those installed. I may add some of those myself. Semi Buckhorn's are sexy.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:36 PM   #30
reynolds357

One hole groups are definitely not anything you would want a rifle to do. It makes it too hard to keep up with how many shots you have fired.

I want one of these rifles to put back for resale in years to come. which rifle is the more expensive one? The one with the recoil pad or the one with the butt plate? Which one will less numbers of be produced?
Old January 29, 2014, 07:38 PM   #31
ColColt

Choose mine. I got it for a mere $2200.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:39 PM   #32
Mystro

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:41 PM   #33
ColColt

I would have loved to see his face. Talk about a Kodak moment.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:43 PM   #34
reynolds357

I have seen 1.9" groups win 400 yard bench matches.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:45 PM   #35
ColColt

I'd never be able to do that with a Remington 40X-BR in 6PPC. Now, with a JOC Custom Tribute rifle...perhaps. Time will tell.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:47 PM   #36
Mystro

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Old January 29, 2014, 07:53 PM   #37
ColColt

I love it. I'll bet he went home with his hat in his hand and had a brandy or two thing to figure out what he did wrong. Not a great pic but a close up of the flawed checkering on my M70.

I honestly could find nothing wrong with the pistol grip either.

Old January 29, 2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Mystro

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:03 PM   #39
ColColt

One thing's for sure, you don't want to use a Kleenex or cotton ball to run over that checkering. You'll be blowing off little fuzz bunnies off till next month.

I think I used my Nikkor 60mm Micro lens on a lot of the pics I took of mine and then post processed using their Capture NX2 Software for photobucket who never gets anything as sharp as the originals.

Some don't like his signature embossed on the trigger guard but I'm proud to own a rifle he'd appreciate.

Last edited by ColColt; January 29, 2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:08 PM   #40
reynolds357

Mystro, I would love to see what your rifle would do with a bench rest scope and a developed match quality load.
You are correct about the tactical bench rest guys being a different breed. There are some good people who shoot tactical and there are a bunch of arrogant pricks who shoot it as well. I built a 1000 yard rifle on a Savage action and it had a 30" bull barrel with a 4" muzzle brake. It also had a very old and beat up wood stock. A bunch of them started laughing and telling me "you going to shoot Elmer Fudd's shotgun in the 1000 yard match?" They kept talking about my Elmer Fudd gun. They all got outshot by Elmer Fudd's shotgun. Reaction, priceless.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:12 PM   #41
ColColt

You hit the nail on the head. I've encountered those kind before both in person and on bench rest forums. some believe they definitely know more than anyone else and shame on you for talking about a lowly 270 or .222 on an accuracy forum. That happened to me.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:26 PM   #42
Mystro

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Old January 29, 2014, 08:57 PM   #43
AllenJ

I don't think I've ever seen this many childish posts on a thread. The two satisfied guys are going to gang up on the unsatisfied one, really?

NavyChief,

First, thank you for your service.

I find it appalling that any rifle in the shape you describe could ever come out of a "custom" shop. Winchester owes you more than just that rifle in the condition it should have been to start with. Maybe they could start with an apology.
Old January 29, 2014, 09:01 PM   #44
ColColt

That is one good looking scope and I'll bet it cost a mint. It seems I looked at one of those early on before I got the rifle and determined it was a mite too steep at the time.

Allen-He never posted any pictures to show what he was talking about. I find it difficult to believe, personally, Winchester would let a rifle get out that came from their custom shop as he described. That's not to say it's impossible but, I'd like to see what the complaint looks like.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:02 PM   #45
AllenJ

Quote:
Allen-He never posted any pictures to show what he was talking about. I find it difficult to believe, personally, Winchester would let a rifle get out that came from their custom shop as he described. That's not to say it's impossible but, I'd like to see what the complaint looks like.
I should not have posted what I did, it is not my place and the forum has moderators for that. I posted what I did because this forum is far above any others I've ever seen in being helpful instead of spiteful. I've learned some very good things on it and hope to continue learning. I think the only thing that NavyChief learned here is that this forum allows that kind of behavior.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:14 PM   #46
ColColt

You need to lighten up and enjoy life and smile a little more. I have enough seriousness and physical problems at 68 in my life that when I see the opportunity to kid and laugh a little I'm going to go for it. Mystro and me were just kidding around. Had he photographed his problem and given something to go on he may have gotten different answers. Haven't you seen on some forums where someone described something and someone came back with a rebuttal of, "Pics or it didn't happen". Would you take that seriously as well? I would have loved to see what was wrong with the rifle myself.

As for service, I was in Uncle Sam's Army during the Vietnam Era in 1966 and take a back seat to no one.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:24 PM   #47
Mystro

Old January 29, 2014, 11:45 PM   #48
old roper

OP over on 24hr with same story.
NRA Life Member
Old January 29, 2014, 11:47 PM   #49
dgludwig

Quote:
Pretty agresive for a new forum member on his first thread.
Quote:
Its a gun forum to educate and to have fun. We have achieved this.
What difference does it make if it's his first thread or 500th thread? The man expressed his disappointment with the workmanship of a rifle that, if true, he has every reason to be unhappy with. No need to play "tag team" and pile heaps of scorn on him for daring to express a viewpoint that runs counter to a product that apparently some are enamored with and are overly invested in.

You've had your "fun" and have given him plenty of "education". Why don't you just let it be? Or maybe you're just having too much fun with the "educating"...

Last edited by dgludwig; January 29, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old January 30, 2014, 12:02 AM   #50
Mystro

Last edited by Mystro; February 2, 2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Contents removed due to OP's questionable intent.
Closed Thread