The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 01:02 AM   #1
TheFineLine

Looking to expand my handgun collection

Just like the title says, I'm looking to expand my handgun collection. I'm open to caliber, price range $500-$1,000 +/-. I want aesthetically pleasing as well as great function. I'm a big guy and have no problem carrying the doublestack 1911 concealed so size is not really an issue. I like stainless but am open to black. What would you add? Here's what I have:

Para Pro Custom 14.45 (doublestack 1911 race gun)_
Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 with meprolite sights (3 inch 1911)
Springfield XDM 9mm Two Tone 3.8 inch full size grip
Rossi 64 38sp (snubby revolver)
Ruger LCP 380 (pocket pistol)

I've been looking at a few: a Beretta 92FS (or 92A1) Stainless 9mm, a S&W 629 44mag, a Tanfoglio T95 EAA Witness Elite Match 9mm, or maybe a CZ 75 SP01 9mm. I'm kind of leaning towards the Beretta 9mm as a sister gun to the Springfield and it IS what the Army guys carry so cool factor points, but I really like that 629. IDK just thinking. I want something classy that I can show off and have fun shooting with. Whaddya think?
Old January 29, 2014, 03:41 AM   #2
JimmyR

I'm a big fan of the S&W revolvers and the CZ-75. Personally, I say get the CZ75B (or BD, SAO, or DAO) if you want the semiauto in a 9mm, or get a K frame 357 Smith and Wesson or Ruger Security Six. I think either one of those would suit you well, and fit well with what you already have. Plus, they are rather iconic firearms in their own right.

I'm not a fan of the Beretta 92 series. I've only tried one, and they deserve another try, but just didn't feel comfortable shooting it.

The S&W 629 wouldn't be a bad choice, but I'd go 357 if you get a revolver, and share the ammo with your Rossi, a la S&W 686 or Model 19.

Tangfolio makes a decent gun, but chosing between that and an original CZ just doesn't seem to tough a choice for me. Plus getting mags for the CZ 75 are faily easy, especially getting the Mec Gar brand mags.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:37 AM   #3
Garycw

Looking to expand my handgun collection

The Sig 1911 C3 plus. Period. Problem/ dilemma solved. It's shiny, its black, its beautiful in every way. Officer size frame, commander slide, crimson grip plus night sights. To me the ultimate everything gun!!
Light but soft recoil & dead accurate.

Old January 29, 2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Rob62

The hole that I see in your collection is for a .357 Mag chambered wheel gun - just a thought.

If not that, then I would go with the .44 Mag that is on your list.

Regards,

Rob
Old January 29, 2014, 12:38 PM   #5
loose_holster_dan

Here are all the guns I've ever carried in order of the first time I carried them, what I liked and didn't like about them, and what there current status is.

Taurus 24/7 Pro C - reliable, inaccurate - sold
Bersa Thunder UC 45 - reliable, heavy, wide, hammer bite - sold
CZ 83 - reliable, heavy, wide, small caliber - sold
HK PSP - reliable, accurate, intuitive, heavy - carry line up
Colt Defender - snappy, inaccurate, uncomfortable - sold
CZ 75B - reliable, accurate, long - range gun
CZ PCR - reliable, accurate, a little long - carry line up
Glock 19 - unreliable, bad printing - sold
CZ P-07 duty - just didn't trust the cheap material - sold
Kel-Tec PF-9 - snappy, trigger bite, inaccurate - sold
Walther PPS - slim, accurate, comfortable - carry line up
Walther PPQ - slim, accurate, comfortable, a little long - carry line up
Sig SP2022 - trigger reach too short, a little long - sold
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old January 29, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
pilpens

I would consider a 6" 1911 in 9mm.
Old January 29, 2014, 03:58 PM   #7
BigJimP

The hole I see is a revolver in .357 mag as well....

and I'd recommend one of the S&W revolvers...in .357 Mag...

K frames...
a. model 19's ( blued or nickel ) ...nice guns
b. model 66 ..( stainless )

L frames ( a little bigger )
a. model 686's ( stainless )

N frames ( a little bigger still )
a. model 27's ( blued or nickel ) are some of the finest revolvers made /
rival a Colt Python in my opinion,
b. model 28's ( blued ) the utilitarian version of the model 27's.

Any of them would be a nice addition to your collection --- especially the N frame, model 27's....( and $1,000 - $ 1,250 ) should get it done.
Old January 29, 2014, 04:05 PM   #8
LockedBreech

Any time it's up for consideration, I have to go for the Beretta 92-series. Wonderfully made, beautiful, good-shooting guns as reliable as anything else on the market.

I have the basic black 92FS and it's beautiful. The stainless models are stunners. Despite having a less attractive silhouette, if I had to do it again I'd probably get a 92A1 or 96A1. Since it's purely a HD gun, I miss the ability to mount the Streamlight TLR1-s that I keep on my PX4. My dad has the 96A1 and it's very nice.

A nice thing about the 92-series is the 4.9" barrel, about a half inch to an inch longer than most service-size barrels. That gets you +p velocity in some standard-pressure 9mm loads, giving good effect on target with minimal wear on the pistol. I keep mine loaded with 124-grain standard pressure Speer Gold Dots.
Old January 29, 2014, 04:06 PM   #9
PatientWolf

In the range you described, I'd probably look at:
S&W 1911 E-Series
Sig 1911 maybe in a commander size (it might make you want to get rid of that Kimber)
Ruger SR1911
S&W Model 686 5"
Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero 5.5" stainless

It all depends on your taste but there is a decent selection in that range.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:32 PM   #10
Colt46

K-Frame Smith

Model 66 if you like magnum, model 15 if you want .38
Old January 29, 2014, 11:31 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

You might consider getting out of the rut you are in, by getting something that is NOT a preferred carry gun, or pocket gun.

.22 Sport pistols are lots of fun, and cheap to feed (even though more expensive than they used to be .22s are still cheap comparatively, and the shortages won't last forever)

Or a large Revolver, either a magnum or a big bore like .45 Colt....

Or you could take a different direction entirely and get Contender and then start collecting barrels.

If all you are into is fighting handguns, that's fine, but there is another world of handguns out there, which can be very enjoyable.
Old January 30, 2014, 12:21 AM   #12
chris in va

CZ Tactical Sport. Or Czechmate.
Old January 30, 2014, 08:24 AM   #13
Axelwik

How about a big bore revolver. Love my 44 Magnums and 45 Colts.
Old January 30, 2014, 09:47 AM   #14
pete2

Another 1911
A 625 revolver
a .357 rev, 686 or any S&W
Old January 30, 2014, 01:56 PM   #15
jason_iowa

I'm pretty well done buying Autos. They just don't interest me anymore. Capacity as a civilian is a non issue for me. Mouse guns don't interest me in the least as I have no problem concealing and shooting full size or duty size handguns. I love 1911s but I wont carry a sidearm with a manual safety so they are mainly collectables. For my money any auto other then 45acp or 22lr is a waste of good metal and plastic. So that limits what I want in auto's significantly.

I hated the M9/ Beretta 92 in the Navy and as soon as I was able I ditched it for something useful as a sidearm which was a Sig p220. Great gun. Beretta does not make a bad product it just does not do what I want a sidearm to do.

I would still like to get a S&W 500 and 460. There are a couple 44 mag and 357 revolvers I would still like to get and about half a dozen 45lc single action revolvers I would like to get. I really don't think you can go wrong with a good to high quality revolver.
Old January 30, 2014, 02:48 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

While neither a .45 nor a .22, I don't consider these a waste of good metal and plastic...

Maybe not for your money, but for mine, quite worthwhile...

Rather interesting, different approaches to a .44 caliber auto loader...
Old January 30, 2014, 10:45 PM   #17
TheFineLine

I do like weapons that aren't run of the mill but I want fill the holes in my (small) handgun collection first. Longguns are a whole different story. I have a great variety from 22 to 58 calibers and 410 to 12 shottys. Anyhow, I stopped by a couple of fun shops today. I'm really liking the S&W 686 Talo 6 inch 7rd, the Beretta 92 and the CZ-75B and I think in that order. I like the look of the Beretta better than the CZ but the CZ felt better in my hand. I want to find somewhere that has them both for rent and try them out. With that in mind I think I'm going to go 686 before I go semi. I agree that the biggest hole in my collection is a fine wheel gun. I've got the snubby but that thing is uglier than a bag of *******s. Not 100% just yet but pretty sure it'll be the 686. If I come across one the the cold war commemorative CZ 75 Bs I may jump right on that though. That's pretty kick ass.

one of these guys

To compliment these guys

Last edited by TheFineLine; January 31, 2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old January 31, 2014, 12:03 AM   #18
LockedBreech

I think all three of your options would be a worthy addition to that collection. The Beretta is my fave still but for once I don't think there's a bad choice there.

A 6" .357 is a classic weapon too. I prefer the 4" as 6" is a bit cumbersome, but that extra 2" gets you outstanding velocity. Bad to be on the other side of that barrel.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:10 PM   #19
SpareMag

Any collection, IMHO, needs a Beretta and a Sig. A W. German Sig is ideal, but ant Sig will dill the hole.

A .44 Mag is also required. You won't shoot it much, but you will love having it.