The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 5, 2013, 08:31 AM   #1
baddarryl

I have fallen prey to Internet chatter.....Taurus

I have a 1985 M85 .38 that is a fantastic shooter, reliable, accurate, and looks great. It has a better single, and double action trigger then my GP100. I have thought of selling it, but know it would be difficult to replace for what I can get for it. It was my moms, but she replaced with a Bodyguard .38 due mostly do the weight.

I say all this because my personal experience with this gun has been fantastic. However, I have read so much Taurus bashing on this and other places that now if I see one in a shop I thumb my nose at it. Is that fair? I wonder.

How about some Taurus success stories?

Last edited by baddarryl; December 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Grammer.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

Fair doesn't really apply,,,

Taurus has good designs,,,
In some cases they appear to be S&W clones.

The problem with Taurus doesn't stem from bad design,,,
It stems from dismal quality control from their manufacturing plant.

I would consider buying a new or used Taurus revolver at a store,,,
Where I could check out that particular gun for functionality.

I would not buy a Taurus revolver from an on-line store,,,
Because I would not be able to check out that particular gun.

Some say that since they have a lifetime warranty,,,
There is no need to be so picky.

I disagree with that,,,
I have had two bad experiences with their warranty service,,,
A lifetime warranty is not useful when they don't fix the gun properly.

So if your Mom's Taurus works well,,,
Keep it for yourself and shoot the heck out of it.

My take from personal experience is this:

If you gat a good Taurus from the factory,,,
It will be a good gun for your lifetime.

If you get a bad one from their factory,,,
Good luck getting to actually make it right.

That's not being "unfair" to Taurus,,,
It's simply stating the reality of the situation.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old December 5, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
JNad

I have a PT99 that I inherited from my Dad. I say that, because I don't know if I would have bought a Taurus due to all the bad rap they get on the various forums. However, having had the experience I have had with it, I would not hesitate to try another.

My PT-99 is among the most accurate guns I own. It runs like a swiss watch. I think I have had one failure to eject in about 1,000 rounds, and that case had the mouth all blown out of it, so I am thinking it was an ammo issue, not the gun. That design is also one of the softest shooting 9mm handguns I have ever experienced. I wouldn't sell or trade my Taurus unless something WAY better came along, and there isn't much likely hood that someone else is going to fall in love with a Taurus. Thus, it will probably be mine forever. Gee, a reliable, accurate gun, which also happens to be pretty (its a stainless slide with an aluminum frame and wood stocks) is going to stay in my stable - what a tragedy
Old December 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
KMAX

I fell for the Taurus bashing and traded off a PT92 that never gave me any problem. I now regret that due to not being able to find an affordable alternative with comparable performance. I may replace it with another PT92, but don't really lie to buy guns that I have already owned. I like to try something else. I would say evaluate the gun for yourself, ignore what others say, and if you like the gun keep it. I think a lot of Taurus bashing comes from people who knew other people who didn't like or had a problem with them. There are a lot of people who have bought Taurii and never had a problem with them. I saw a post on this forum of a S&W six round cylinder drilled with seven chambers. People excused that because it was a Smith and "Smith would make it right." Personally, I would have been upset that S&W didn't make it right in the first place considering the extra price you have to pay over say a Taurus or Ruger. Ramble over.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 5, 2013, 10:30 AM   #5
g.willikers

Every one messes up, sooner or later.
And everyone makes some exceptional ones, sooner or later.
If you have a good one, no matter what the name on it is, consider it a keeper.
Common sense should prevail.
Old December 5, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
madmo44mag

Well said Wilikers!!

I have a early Rossi 44 spl that has served me well.

Every gun manufacturer has a bad run from time to time and when they do their customer service usually sucks because they are overwhelmed with calls.
I think this is where the bad rep gets started.
Taurus went through some going pains a few years back and put out some well designed guns but the craftsmanship was below par due to the growing pains.
Since then I think most of their issues have been resolved.

Heck I have a buddy that just bought a new Colt 1911 and the 1st time out the extractor broke – it happens to everyone.
Old December 5, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
lapetrarca53

I purchase a Taurus PT738 (C series) TCP a year ago and it has been nothing but reliable, accurate and, in general, just a fun gun to shoot. Several hundred trouble free rounds down the pipe.

Though it's not really a range gun, it's still fun to shoot. I'm confident enough in it that it's become my EDC.....up till now.

Since .380 availability is spotty in these parts and when it is available, it's a little expensive, I just bought a PT709 Slim. The 9mm big brother to my PT738.

Once broken in and reliable, the PT709 will now become my "winter" EDC.

Looking forward to getting it out to the range this weekend.
Old December 5, 2013, 02:03 PM   #8
weblance

I have 3 Taurus handguns. 2 are excellent, the third needs ground up and melted down for scrap. The two good ones are a POLY PT-22 and a 905 (9mm) revolver. The bad one is a 2" stainless 94. My feelings toward Taurus echo aarondhgraham.
Old December 5, 2013, 02:42 PM   #9
the rifleer

There is so much bad information out there, things get blow so far out of proportion on the internet.

For example, I had it pounded in my head that ar-15's are unreliable, so I got a mini 14 even though it supposedly has the same accuracy as a musket. I've never had a single malfunction with any ar-15 I've shot, even with cheap steal case ammo out of a cheap ar that isn't well taken care off.
Old December 5, 2013, 03:34 PM   #10
papershotshells

My Dad has had a Taurus 85 for over 25 years and we have shot it a LOT. Probably more than any snubbie should or would ever be fired, even with some heavy +P handloads. It has been a great little gun and has served Dad and I well.

On the other hand, about 4 or 5 years ago, I bought a Taurus 85 UltraLite (alloy gun) for CCW carry and had nothing but trouble with it. It went back to Taurus twice (lifetime warranty) and was repaired each time, BUT I didn't trust it for carry after that so I sold it.

So, I guess that while Taurus makes good guns, as stated before their QC can be hit or miss.

I used to think that Taurus guns were a good deal because they were a good bit cheaper than a comparable S&W model. Now though, I feel that the price advantage has disappeared for the most part. While a NEW Taurus is still cheaper than a NEW S&W, I can buy a quality used S&W for roughly the same or cheaper than a new Taurus. I also just happen to like older Smiths, lol.

A Taurus can still be a good buy, but as others have stated, I would only buy one that I could hold in my hands first and preferably test fire. I'd never buy one sight unseen online, etc.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Papershotshells
Old December 5, 2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Gaerek

I think it's been mentioned but it's not that Taurus designs are bad (since they're usually just copies of other manufacturers guns). It's just that they have pretty bad Quality Control. If you are a low priced manufacturer of guns, you have to find places to save money. Most manufacturers spend the money to ensure that every gun that leaves their factory is working the way it's intended too. If something is out of spec on the gun, it doesn't get shipped. Sometimes this just means sending the gun back to the machine shop (more machine time = more money) or possibly scrapping a part of even a whole gun (this costs money too). By loosening quality control standards, you can actually save quite a bit of money.

I don't have a problem with Taurus, per se, but I won't buy one. I've seen enough problems with them first hand (where user error could be eliminated as a possible cause) and have talked to enough gun store employees and their stories of returned Tauri that I don't want to chance it. It's my hard earned money. I want my gun to work out of the box, without having to utilize a lifetime warranty.

But as others have said, if you have one that works well, then keep using it. There's no reason to "trade up" if you don't have to (unless you want to).
Old December 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Chaz88

Quote:
I think it's been mentioned but it's not that Taurus designs are bad (since they're usually just copies of other manufacturers guns).
I think all the manufactures copy to some extent but it is so blatant with Taurus, right down to the numbering and placement of logos on many, that I have to wonder how they get away with it.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 5, 2013, 05:39 PM   #13
old bear

I've owned one Taurus revolver for five or so years, it's an M-617 2" .357 Magnum. I've put roughly 2,000 rounds of assorted 38 special, 38 special +p, +P+, and .375 Magnum ammo through it without any problems.

All and all I've been happy with it, and feel it was an excellent value. But based on Taurus's spotty Q.C. and customer service I will not buy another Taurus product.
Old December 5, 2013, 07:45 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
I think all the manufactures copy to some extent but it is so blatant with Taurus Ruger, right down to the numbering and placement of logos on many, that I have to wonder how they get away with it.
Fixed it for you.

Which is to say, if they do, they're not the only ones.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 5, 2013, 07:55 PM   #15
fire4606

I don't believe Taurus in 1985 is the same company as today, my recollection of Taurus in the late 80's and early 90's were some pretty decent guns.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #16
Dave Chuppa

If you have a good Taurus keep it. You won't get a lot for it and will miss it sooner or later. I have had 11 Taurus Revolvers. One was sent back for repair because of binding problems. One broke because I did not maintain it properly. Both were repaired and returned promptly. All have had smooth actions some very smooth. In all my Taurus Revolvers are every bit as good as my Smiths and Rugers. The Rugers are built heavier and the Smiths may be finished better but, working in Gun Shops for 15 years, I have sent ALL makes back for repairs.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:29 PM   #17
4runnerman

PT1911 , 45 ACP- Over 6000 rounds now and no issues. Very accurate and Flawless operation. I put some custom Cherry Wood grips on it,and she is sharp looking to boot. I have always defended Taurus,only because of my experience with mine and a few friends that have them. I read all the negative stuff in here to and don't doubt it happens,but Hey I got a good one and to me,They are the best. Feels great in the hand, It's just what I wanted in a pistol. I would not hesitate to purchase another.

This question comes up a lot, By the next time it comes up I should be over 7000 rounds and still going strong.
Old December 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
motorhead0922

When I was in the market for a full size 9mm, I had to choose between the Beretta 92 or the Taurus PT92. I went with the Taurus because of its superior design: the safety/decocker is mounted on the frame, not the slide.

My PT92 runs like a Swiss watch, and has fired over 3100 flawless rounds, of every variety of ammo I have fed it.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:01 PM   #19
Kev

This may explain the "how they got away" with the copies

In 1971, the Bangor Punta Corporation, then the parent company of Smith & Wesson, purchased 54 percent of Forjas Taurus, allowing the two firearms manufacturers to easily share information regarding design and manufacturing. In 1977, Taurus was purchased from Bangor Punta by its current owners, and its ties to Smith & Wesson were severed.

I copied from Wikipedia because I was too lazy to tap that out on my phone
Old December 5, 2013, 09:14 PM   #20
Vettebeach

Good revolvers

My wife and I each have a Model 85 , 1987 vintage. We shoot them a lot, and they have been trouble free. Good, solid revolvers.
Old December 5, 2013, 11:03 PM   #21
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am sure that Taurus has produced many more good, reliable guns than it has clunkers. Modern reality is such, though, that no one rushes to the internet to tell the whole world about good, honest, reliable products. But the person who finds that his new (name it) doesn't work, is no good, or fell apart can't wait to share his experience with the world.

Still, there seems little doubt that, while any company can turn out a lemon, there seem to be more lemon trees in Brazil than in Massachusetts or Arizona.

Jim
Old December 5, 2013, 11:29 PM   #22
SVTCobra306

I don't own any, but my Dad owns three Taurus revolvers.. a Raging Bull .44 Mag, an M66 Tracker in .357 Mag, and I think another Tracker in .17 HMR. He loves all three and has had zero issues.. though it bears mentioning that the .17 is the only one that gets shot more than a few rounds before and during Deer Season.

I shot a buck with the Model 66 last year, and I've put probably a hundred rounds through it total. It is accurate and functions just fine, though the cylinder is loose as a goose and the fit/finish of the whole thing is put to shame by both my wife's S&W Model 66 and my Ruger GP100.

They are great for a $350 revolver, however I've been seeing the M66 Taurus with asking prices in the $500 range.. for that money I'll hunt down a Smith & Wesson any day of the week.
Old December 6, 2013, 12:37 AM   #23
ms6852

I agree, but maybe the bashing is now towards all the new productions. This particular pistol I have bought it brand new over 30 yrs ago. Really love this thing shoots everything. The only thing I might ever do if anything would be trigger work, its not hard at all just long spongy feel but very accurate.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:27 AM   #24
aarmel732

Taurus success stories:
M689 - .357 6" SS Revolver - Accurate, too many rounds to count, never had an issue. Ever. Best trigger I have ever had among revolvers.
PT738 TCP - .380 mouse gun - 2-4" groups at 7-10 yards. 500 rounds - 2 issues when Dad was shooting attributed to limp wrist, once his grip was right it did not duplicate.
PT22 Poly - .22LR mouse gun - 1-3" groups at 7-10 yards. 1000 rounds - no issues, sold to finance a Ruger Mark 3, don't regret it, but I do miss it and I would buy another.
M94 (something) - .22LR 9 shot 2" ultra lite revolver - 1-3" groups at 7-10 yards. 500 rounds so far, 2 chambers sticky extraction, but a ton of fun. Long heavy DA (rimfire) great SA
M82 - .38 spcl 3" blue revolver - My first gun. Thousands of rounds. After 5000 rounds, the firing pin rounded off. Took to gunsmith, he replaced the pin at no charge, Taurus paid for the repair. Sold to finance above .357.
PT1911 - .45 ACP - fairly new to me on a trade. 150 rounds so far, no issues. PO put dummy reassembly circle in the SS slide and frame though.

Then my favorite:
PT100 / 92 - SS- has .40 lower and a 40 and 9mm upper. Shoot .40, flip a switch change a mag, finish the day with 9x19. Works FLAWLESSLY in both calibers. Accurate, smooth, soft shooting, and the trigger is outstanding.

That revolver you have pictures there is super nice looking. If it shoots, and is reliable, why (essentially with Taurus prices) give it away? A name is just a name on a machine. It is the machine that matters. Believe me, I am a car nut too. I never understood the manufacturer hate. Ford makes some good stuff, so does Chevy, and so does Dodge - but ALL of them have made some real turds too. If you have one that is good, stick with it. If you absolutely do not want to and buy into the hate....well....PM me, I will take that nice revolver from you. I may even pay you for it.
Old December 6, 2013, 09:28 AM   #25
baddarryl

No, I have no intention of selling it. The only reason we thought of it was to help my mom pay for her Bodyguard. I am currently teaching my daughter to use it and will likely give it to her when she comes of age.

This discussion also begs the question: I wonder what the market share of Taurus's in the US that have been sold in the last 10 years or whatever is?
I also wonder what percentage that is among newbies due to price?