The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 6, 2013, 10:36 PM   #26
L_Killkenny

Re: older eyes and pistol shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thShock View Post
I don't want to shoot at a target I'm not seeing clearly, as in "be sure of your target and what lies beyond...". So I focus on the target and let the front sight blur. You'll probably do it that way anyway if you ever have to use a handgun as a weapon and not a range toy.
Well if you're focused on the target and not the front sight than it probably good to limit your handgun use to close in shooting cause you ain't gonna hit crap. FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! FRONT SIGHT! BTW, feeling the need to hit something beyond spitting distance does not make something a range toy. A lot of serious work goes on far beyond your SD range for people who know what they're doing.

Old eyes vs open sights is yet another example of ol' Elmer knowing his stuff. As your eyes get older shorter barrels with less sight radio's can actually be an aid. Go figure.
Old December 11, 2013, 02:21 AM   #27
imthegrumpyone

Older eyes ? How about just old period ! Have several hand guns and sort, carry nothing but my .40s, went to laser lite on right side of slide on both, best money I could spend, around $90 a piece.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:14 AM   #28
Gaerek

I have 20/20 vision, don't wear glasses, and I still have this problem. Why? It has nothing to do with wearing glasses, or having good (or bad) vision. Simply, it is impossible for the human eye to focus on multiple things at different distances. I focus on the front sight. The rear sight is a bit blurry, but I can tell the front post is inside the rear sight, and the target is blurry. But I can make out enough detail (even if it is just an amorphous blob) to be able to hit my target well.

Now, there may be other issues with regards to your glasses that make this harder (rear sight and target not just blurry, but almost not visible). If this is the case, and we're talking an SD weapon, a laser would likely help you out. I don't use lasers, and I don't like them, but I know there are good uses for them.