The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 16, 2001, 01:18 PM   #1
K80Geoff

Monday night, my usual night at the local indoor range to shoot in the league. I show up, sign in and register for the next quarterly league, go back to my usual shooting point to set up. At this time I notice that the target clips are missing, probably shot off by some juvenile with a Ruger 22 auto again. The guy next to me is missing his also. I go to the front shop to get new clips and decide to be a good boy scout and replace all the clips that are missing.

As I get down to the last two points and replace the missing clips I notice the owner downrange fixing a target carrier (range was dry). I yell the usual "ready on the right" to annoy him to which he replies with the usual profanity. As I turn to walk away I end up on my knees with a sharp pain in my forehead as I have just walked into the handle on the wheel used to run the targets out. Now I know the last two points are low and have tangled with them before so I should know better, but I have really whacked myself . A NYC fireman I shoot with comes over to check me out, and tells me I went down like I was shot. No blood but a nice noogie.

Naturally I tell the owner that he will hear from the honorable Sy S Terr esq, of the renowned law firm Dewey,Cheatum and Howe in the morning.

I shoot poorly and as I am sitting at the front table commiserating over my boo boo and lousy score, the owner decides to hold the drawing for a shotgun that is being raffeled off. He asks the other owner to pull a ticket, looks at it and starts laughing. When the gathered crowd asks who won, he says '; None other than Mr hole in the head".

Well now I have a new 12 GA SKB autoloader, and a big bump on my head. Strange night

Geoff Ross OW! what a lump!
Old January 16, 2001, 01:46 PM   #2
Ledbetter

Glad you're okay

Sounds like you learned your lesson, although for the life of me I can't figure out what it is.

Regards.
Old January 20, 2001, 10:22 PM   #3
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

That's a great story!!!

I usually don't get the lump on the head (from the frying pan) until I get *home* with a new gun.
Old January 20, 2001, 10:57 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

TBM, I think YOU hit the... uh... nail on the head...