The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Canardman

American Guns... Really?

So, I am somewhat a fan of "Sons Of Guns" show. I am completely aware that a lot of the situations are created for the show, but a fan none the less.
I was scrolling through my Netflix and found another gun show called "American Guns". I figured what the heck, who doesn't love a good gun show? To my surprise, this show was anything but good! It looks like their shop is in a basement, it appears that none of them can hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun, and the wife... don't get me started on that fakeness! (if fakeness is a word) In the episode I watched, they hop in a helicopter to go to a ranch just outside town for "appearance" It was physically painful to watch this show!
I'm not sure which was worse this or "Top Shot". That was like watching The Bachelor" only with guns.

The only reason I have watched ten more episodes is Paige, the daughter!
Thank you for reading my rant.
-C-Man-
Old November 24, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
BarryLee

Quote:
The only reason I have watched ten more episodes is Paige, the daughter!
Funny, you hate the show, but watched eleven episodes because of a hot chick. I guess we can see that your man card is paid up.

Yes, we've discussed this show and most people seem to agree with your assessment.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 24, 2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Polinese

I actually find that show way less painful to watch. I can't stand any of the cast of sons of guns. Every one of em irritates the crap out of me the daughter in particular.

I can't speak for the rest of the family. But Rich Wyatt certainly seemed like a hell of a guy when I met him at his shop and talked with him for a while (with Bob as well).

I also don't really see the problem with the shop being in a basement... basement, warehouse what difference does it make so long as what they churn out is good stuff.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Nickel Plated

Does he really own a helicopter to go meet customers? And here I though everyone says that you really have to love selling guns to run a gun store cuz you won't be getting rich off of it.

Hell my lawyer didn't even come out to meet me in helicopter. I should tell him he's in the wrong business.

Yea American Guns is pretty bad. Sons of Guns, as fake as it is, atleast make some interesting odd stuff there, even if most of it is completely useless.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Chaz88

Quote:
Does he really own a helicopter to go meet customers?
I doubt if he actually owns one, lease maybe. I know of some of his high end clients and some of them do.

A lot of it is over the top but it is for TV. Accuracy that would appeal to us might not be entertaining enough get the public to turn it on.

My biggest problem with the show is when they go on and on about how hard it is to copy something like a Colt SA and charge $25,000 to do it. With all their machinery how hard could it be? They managed it with a lot less when the originals were produced.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.

Last edited by Chaz88; November 24, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old November 24, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
jonnyc

Uh.... last I read the girl was only 16 or 17. The father should be ashamed of himself.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:02 PM   #7
4 Paws

That show is somewhat old news, no longer in production. They did team up with Smith and Wesson and produced the Wyatt deep cover. As for the eye candy, well it is television.
Old November 24, 2013, 11:18 PM   #8
dakota.potts

Yeah, I had to stop watching it. I hardly learned anything and it really wasn't that interesting. I thought the helicopter bit was ridiculous the first time they did it, but every time after that was worse.

I like Sons of Guns. It may be heavy on manufactured drama and hyperbole (were they really the first to silence an AK? Seems implausible)but they always have cool things on the show and I've actually learned some things from watching it. I do dislike their obsession with binary compounds, though. How do you know how accurate you are if you hit an 8 inch target with one of your bullets and the whole thing explodes?
Old November 25, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

This show was discussed quite a lot before. Unless, you have something new to say beyond it being stupid - let this thread die.
Old November 25, 2013, 07:00 PM   #10
KMAX

All too often these similar type shows (guns, hunting, cars, motorcycle, etc.) start out mildly interesting but go downhill fast due to lack of enough interesting material and resorting to filler (drama, eye candy, etc.) American Guns is but one of many such shows. It would be like me trying to make a show about working in a warehouse. Not that much interesting going on. I did see some interesting stuff on the three or four episodes of AG that I did watch, but not enough to make me not delete it from my DVR. I enjoy "Gun Talk TV" and "Guns and Gear" but they mostly come across as infomercials.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old November 25, 2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Fire_Moose

I like Top Shot. Cannot stand those other 2. Paige is mighty good looking though.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Discussing who is good looking is irrelevant.

Closed.