The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 27, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Kappe

FFg for both pistol and rifle?

I know there's a reason they make different granulations of powder, and that I should probably stick to FFFg for pistols and small-bore rifles and FFg for big-bores like .50 cal and up.

But I like to simplify things as much as I can. I've read that using FFFg in larger calibers meant for FFg will cause increased pressures.
Is there any danger to using FFg in my .36 cal 1851 Navy?

I don't care about performance. I'm not going to get hole-in-hole accuracy with a percussion handgun anyway. What I want to know if it's safe. Thanks.
Old October 28, 2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Ifishsum

No danger that I can think of using FFg in a pistol - but I go the other way and use FFFg in both for my typical PRB shooting, at 50-60grs in a .50 cal pressure isn't going to be an issue. Seems to burn a little cleaner for me. I still use FFg when shooting heavy loads or minies/conicals.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Hawg

I mostly use FFG in my revolvers.

I'm not going to get hole-in-hole accuracy with a percussion handgun anyway.

Quote:
That would be your fault, not the gun.
Old October 28, 2013, 06:23 AM   #4
kwhi43

15 shots at 25 yds

Old October 28, 2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Old Stony

It would be safe, but I don't think you are necessarily doing yourself a favor by doing so. I use fff for 50 cal. all the time and I don't think within any sane loading you are going to increase pressure enough to be a problem. 3f just seems to burn cleaner for me and I think a little quicker burn in a handgun might be a little more desirable.
Old October 28, 2013, 07:55 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

Provided the pistol and rifle bore are big enough, why not?
Old October 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #7
noelf2

I standardized on fffg for everything I shoot, when I'm shooting real BP that is. 10 gauge sxs, T/C Hawken .50, .44 revolvers and singles, flintlock fowler (even in the flash pan). Never any problems.
Old October 28, 2013, 10:03 AM   #8
Kappe

That's everything I need to know and more. Thanks everybody.

I think I'll standardize on FFg after I polish off the FFFg I've got left.
Quote:
That would be your fault, not the gun.
My '51 Navy shoots at least 10" high and a bit to the right at 25 yards, which is normal, but not a precision target instrument no matter how you cut it.
Not that I'm trying to make it one. If it's my fault I can't bring myself to take a file to the rear sight, then let it be known.
Old October 28, 2013, 02:01 PM   #9
maillemaker

I use FFF for everything.

FFF gives more bang for the same weight charge than FF, probably because the increased surface area of the finer grains. But FFF costs the same as FF. So you can use less powder for the same bang.

Quote:
My '51 Navy shoots at least 10" high and a bit to the right at 25 yards, which is normal, but not a precision target instrument no matter how you cut it.
Not that I'm trying to make it one. If it's my fault I can't bring myself to take a file to the rear sight, then let it be known.
While you can't do much about point of aim without fiddling with the sights, you will be amazed what you can do with group sizes by trying different loads. Obviously you don't want to fiddle with the sights until you have achieved the optimal group.

Steve
Old October 28, 2013, 02:26 PM   #10
darkgael

Quote:
Only five shots at 50 ft., good group, poor score.
FFFg - 20 grains and a PRB. Percussion
Old October 28, 2013, 02:50 PM   #11
maillemaker

Here's my bone-stock 1858 Remington at 25 yards with 20 grains FFF and a naked round ball.

Doesn't shoot where you point it yet but makes pretty good groups.

Steve
Old October 28, 2013, 08:36 PM   #12
bn12gg

I own a Jonathon Browning Hawken (percussion), a Lancaster (flintlock) and a Colt Walker (percussion). FFF, FFF, FFF under the ball and where applicable in the pan as well. Works reliably -- goes bang!! I'm not going to change.

David
Old October 31, 2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Noz

I'm a cowboy shooter and I run lots of FFg thru, 1860 Armys (44), 44-40 and 12 ga.
Old November 2, 2013, 12:30 PM   #14
MattShlock

Save the FFFg for the navy-caliber pistols. Why "standardize," read "limit yourself." A lb. or two of 3F in small, short, guns goes a long way... FFg will have more waste, as in overbore, in a small pistol.

I DO recommend FFFFg in a pan. FFFg in small pistols if not narrow carbines, and FFg in at least over-50 caliber longarms.

Use the right stuff. How challenging is it really?
Old November 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Kappe

You're not telling me anything I didn't already know there.

I just like the simplicity of one powder. Evidently a few folks here use FFFg for everything. I'm going to give FFg a try in my Navy.
If it really doesn't work well, then I've got myself a can of FFg for my rifle. No big deal.
Old November 2, 2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Hawg

FFG will work fine in a .36
Old November 2, 2013, 07:44 PM   #17
freedom475

If you are going to simplify....do yourself a favor and use the 3fff for everything....way better in your pistol and will give more reliable ignition results in your rifles.

2ff will work perfectly fine but the 3fff will be better.

Mister, why do you carry a 45? "Cause Sam Colt don't make a 46."
Old November 3, 2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Boomer58cal

I use FFF for everything from .32 to .62. Even with my 900g .62 bullet. Have since I was five. I shot black powder competition for 13 years and black powder is my first choice for hunting. Never had an issue. Plus FFF is much cleaner burning.

Accuracy... its all you dude. If you do your part your gun will out shoot you.

My CVA .32 Wells Fargo revolver will shoot cloverleaf at 15 yards!

You must learn to load it exactly the same every time. Its the same as loading centerfire, consistency equals accuracy. And not just the powder charge. You want to seat the ball with the same amount of pressure each time.

I had an impromptu competition once against a Remington 700 n 7mm Mag. This was the first time I shot a muzzleloader over 350 yards. It took me some time to figure out the drop and windage, but I was able to match him out to eight hundred yards on a torso target with my .50 cal. Given my groups were larger than his, but still in the kill zone.

The biggest issue with black powder isn't accuracy, its trajectory. My .50 has about 30 feet! of drop at 800 yards.

I know I know no pictures so it didn't really happen. The truth is a picture of the target won't tell you whether a shot at 50 yards or a 1000. So whatever.

Boomer
Old November 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #19
North East Redneck

I use 777 FFFG in everything from my .22 NAA revolver to my 12 Gauge Traditions break action shotgun. Use it in the .44 revlovers, the .50 inline, the .50 sidelock and the .54 sidelock. It works as long as you load properly for the gun.
As to one hole groups, why not? My '51s, '58s and ROA are great shooters. I can shoot them with great accuracy at ranges to 100+ feet. If I shot them more, I'm sure they would still be more accurate @ 100 yards than I can be. I have some FFg pyrodex, haven't tried it yet. The FFFg works fine. Powder is scarce, and can be very expensive around here. I make what I can get work.
Old November 3, 2013, 07:57 PM   #20
Kappe

Okay guys, you can disregard the hole-in-hole accuracy statement now. I can assure you the gun's feelings weren't hurt over it
Old November 7, 2013, 06:03 PM   #21
BWM

I use FFF in every gun that I have. Shooting 240 gr 44 in a sabot in 50 cal the FF and FFF. The FF 100 gr will shoot the same with 80 gr of FFF At 150 yards. So I use the FFF.
Old November 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappe
FFg for both pistol and rifle?
Sure, why not. won't hurt anything..... you could use fffg in both too & it wouldn't hurt; just give different performance characteristics.

I have a pair of Uberti 1861 Navies that will shoot one hole groups - 22 gr fffg, wad & .380 rb. Have cut 5 cards with 5 shots with them as well.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 15, 2013, 05:17 AM   #23
radom

from what I see with my guns with FF you can load the gun where you dont need to do a breakfeast dance with some sort of cream of wheat. A lot of people use FFF and load like its rocket sience on getting the ball moved to the front of the cylinder while just using FF cures that issue.
Old November 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #24
Kappe

Haha, I had a good giggle at that, radom. I never understood the guys who stuff cornmeal, cream of wheat, n such into their C&B guns. Guns eat gunpowder, not people food!
Old November 17, 2013, 04:15 PM   #25
rclark

Hey now, I like cream of wheat as the wad under the ball . Then I don't have to bother with grease on the front.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.