The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 2, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
JERRYS.

Guns youve spent money on but would trade for less..

how many of you have spent X amount on a gun, but after the charm has worn off would trade it for another gun of less value? nothing drastically less, but buying a gun for $600 and a few years later trading it for a different gun valued at say $400.... just because you've lost interest in it...or whatever.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2
RodTheWrench

Not really, although I did sell my Remington 870 WMMag(LH) I've owned for 20 years just last week for $50 less than I paid for it. I GUARANTEE it had way more than 50 bucks worth of wear on it, so I'll call it a wash, maybe even a win

The only time I think I've let a gun go for less is in a trade for something I REALLY wanted. Maybe once. Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Yeah...
Old October 2, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3
GyMac

Colt Gold Cup. $679 in 1987. It never lived up to my expectations and was no more accurate than two other 1911's I had at the time. It especially bothered me that the finish was no better and the trigger rattled. Traded it for a S&W Model 14 and Model 10 at a gun show. Both guns were used and the dealer threw in some money to boot. I still have both revolvers and am very happy with them.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #4
lee n. field

Some years back I traded off a CZ-100 and Taurus 66, even up for a Springfield XD. Money-wise I lost a bit, but I think I came out ahead.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 2, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
JERRYS.

GyMac, I feel your pain. I had a Colt Delta Elite First Edition stainless... for all the hype it wasn't all that at all....
Old October 2, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Flfiremedic

Kahr and an XDs...actually walked out of LGS thinking why did I buy the XDs.

Dumped a Wiley Clapp Commander as well.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:58 PM   #7
B. Lahey

I had an MSAR (AUG clone) that never ran right and broke a lot of parts, even after some factory service. Lost a few bucks selling it with full disclosure, but was glad to be rid of it.
Old October 2, 2013, 10:00 PM   #8
TXAZ

IF I sell them, I've typically held them long enough to not lose $$$

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 2, 2013, 10:09 PM   #9
lamarw

Bersa Thunder .380
Old October 2, 2013, 10:13 PM   #10
JERRYS.

lamar, sa-lute from chambers county.
Old October 2, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
JimmyR

I bought a Beretta PX4 Type D that I had been drooling over. After keeping it a while, I just couldn't fall in love with it. I paid $525, and I ended up getting about $350 in trade value for it for my Ruger Security Six...
Old October 3, 2013, 06:31 AM   #12
bedbugbilly

Sooner or later I think it's going to happen to just about everybody. But, like RodTheWrench points out . . . uou have to consider the price of the enjoyment you've had . . . if it was enjoyable.

I bought a H & R Sidekick (929?) one time that looked like new - thought it would be a good plinker and I could get my wife to shoot it to learn. The durn thing shot so low a person could plow with it. Never could find the problem and I know a lot of folks that had that model and they shot well for what they were. I traded it back in to the LGS where I got it used. . . . lost on it but not big $$ like an expensive handgun. In the long run, what I lost on it just equaled to "another one of life's lessons".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 3, 2013, 08:33 AM   #13
jmr40

I don't keep guns I don't like or use. But if you are careful when you buy, you shouldn't lose much if any money.

Quote:
Not really, although I did sell my Remington 870 WMMag(LH) I've owned for 20 years just last week for $50 less than I paid for it.
In my experience a 20 year old gun should sell for MORE than I paid for it. A Wingmaster sells for about $800 new today. They were around $400 in the 1990's. Selling one to someone at $500 would be a bargain for both the buyer and seller.

Quote:
IF I sell them, I've typically held them long enough to not lose $$$
This is me too. I also tend to buy used, and only at bargain prices. If I don't think I can make a profit on it, I don't buy most of the time. The rare times I've bought new was when I was absloutely certain it would be a gun I'd keep as long as I lived.
Old October 3, 2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Sevens

Well, I don't do things like that, honestly. But I know there's a -zillion- guys out there who do, and do it constantly, and I love these guys because they keep the market stocked with goodies for me to chase.
Old October 9, 2013, 04:10 PM   #15
BlkHawk73

Money isn't everything. At some point happiness, having a more desirable model started meaning more than the whole dollar for dollar thing. Not willing to take a big loss but if the end result has me getting what I have more interest in owning, I'm happy.
Old October 9, 2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Dragline45

Traded a 3" S&W 60 in 357 for a S&W 640 no dash in .38 Special. Not a fan of the .357 in snubs, so for me the trade was fine because I got what I wanted. Plus I can go out and buy a new 3" S&W 60 in .357 right now, not the case for a 640 in .38 special. The 640 I traded for was listed at $300, which I sold a couple years ago for $400. So really, I guess I didn't lose out that much in the end.
Old October 10, 2013, 04:12 PM   #17
P5 Guy

I have never got what I paid for a firearm on trade in, not even close.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Ibmikey

I have a personal motto: Buy at any price and eventually give it to your friend :-) No, I do not need more friends! I have fun with the gun and then pass it on for others to enjoy..this is one of the few perks of getting older-- you can pretty well do what you want as long as it remains legal.
Old October 11, 2013, 09:59 AM   #19
dayman

I've probably "lost" money on most of the guns I've sold.
I dont have the space or inclination to have a big collection, so when I run out of room, want something new, or find I'm not shooting something regularly, I generally sell something. Since most of the guns I've bought I've bought new, they're not worth as much when I sell them.
However, I doubt I've ever "lost" as much money selling a gun as I've "lost" feeding it while it's been in my possession.

I live in a state that allows private sales, and since I'm picky about who I sell to, and don't like having people call about adds for weeks on end I usually price them so they move.

Money comes, money goes, and I don't think my overall financial situation is all that much worse for loosing a couple hundred bucks every year or so.
Old October 11, 2013, 10:19 AM   #20
efield

Bought a NIB S&W 640-3 ($550.00) thinking it would make a great backup piece or summertime carry...........even found a Bianchi holster specifically made for the hammerless style. ($50.00) Hated it. Tried 3 different grip styles and still couldn't get it fit my hands. Plus, I never could quite get past the thought of that "Hillary Hole". In the back of my little pea brain I just couldn't trust it. Finally traded the rig to a gunsmith for some work I wanted done to another revolver. (~$475.00)
Old October 11, 2013, 01:12 PM   #21
velillen

Glock 20 was the only gun I've gotten rid of. Bought it and just didn't care for it at all. Had an extra barrel, two mags, and holster for it. Sold it for 650 which was around a 100 buck loss for me. But I was never going to shoot it again.