The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
camsdaddy

Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17

Yesterday I picked up a Glock 17 and took it straight to the range. What I learned is I need more trigger time with it before I decide to carry it. I really wish I had taken my 19 to shoot beside it to have more of a comparison. I had my 26 since that is what I have been carrying. I found I shot my 26 better (faster and more accurate close range and at distance) than the 17. I found it a little discouraging but I found the 26 very encouraging. The shooting was done from 5 yards to 20 yards mostly shooting 6" plates. I also realize I have very little expierence with a fullsize gun short of a 4" K frame that shoots like a lazer. I guess I thought I would shoot the 17 well since I had been shooting my 26. The 17 is stock with Glock night sights. The 26 has traction grip, ghost connector and stock sights except the rear sight has been blacked out with a sharpie. Has anyone else had the same expeirence?
Old July 19, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
TunnelRat

I shoot an M&P 9c, the compact, better than the fullsize. Noticeably better too. I got rid of the fullsize.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 19, 2013, 08:30 AM   #3
IZinterrogator

It's actually pretty common. Don't know why, but a lot of people post about shooting their baby Glocks better than their full-size models.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 19, 2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Tactical Jackalope

I shoot them equally well.
Old July 19, 2013, 11:16 AM   #5
BarryLee

I’m not sure I shoot my G26 better than my full-size guns, but I have been very surprised at how well it does perform. I was convinced when I purchased it that the small grip would be an issue and bought extensions, grip tape, etc. However, after one range session I was really impressed how well it performed right out of the box.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 19, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
huskytaio

I don't know why, but I shoot my G27 better than my bigger G23, both in the same caliber and using the same loads. And with my G27, I have my bottom finger below the magazine.
Old July 19, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
JN01

I think that the way the curve of the butt fits into my palm, and the fact that my pinkie under the magazine helps lock in my grip (GAP baseplates help also) add up to a more consistent hold, and better accuracy for my G26 over the G19.
Old July 19, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
AK103K

I find I shoot my 26's "slightly" more accurately than my 17's, when shooting "bullseye" style.

Shooting a little more realistically, I do better with the 17. Its just easier to quickly get a good grip, present the gun, and shoot quickly with.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9
allenomics

I am a little surprised that some people find that they are more accurate with a smaller, lighter gun? Go figure.
Old July 19, 2013, 08:27 PM   #10
jglsprings

I fall into the "baby glock better" category. I do my 27 better than my 23 and the 22. I think the smaller gun fits my hand / grip better. Maybe I can control it better or crush the grip better - who knows. I do carry the 27 more and therefore practice with it more. That could be it too.

Some practice time with the other guns usually brings them right in line, they just don't come as "naturally" the G27 does to me.

Now get this... I have a "big glock" that I shoot better than all of the other Glocks. It is my Glock 21 in 45 ACP. Perhaps the large frame Glocks are a different - better fit, or I've got it in my head that the recoil is softer or something. It's magic.

That's why we always say Your Mileage May Vary.

Go check out glocktalk and search around. You will see that this is a very common comment.

Commas save lives...

Last edited by jglsprings; July 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old July 20, 2013, 02:36 PM   #11
TailGator

I am another that shoots the G26 better than the larger Glocks. It is not intuitive, but a lot of people report it to be so. I like the feel of the 19 OK, but the grip hump of the 17 doesn't fit my hand well. Different strokes, of course.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:35 AM   #12
camsdaddy

Having had my 17 almost a year now I will update. I have shot and carried the 26 and the 17 quite a bit in the past year. Of course I find the 26 easier to conceal. I find the 17 easier to get an initial grip on. I find the 26 faster at initial shot. I shoot the both from 0-25 yards and find the 17 more accurate as well as faster to make accurate shots. I can make accurate shots at 25 with the 26 but I must concentrate far more. I can make hits easily with the 17 and sometimes have to remind myself that I cant get all willy nilly and have to slow down and focus. I think the 17 is easier to get sloppy with while the 26 requires me to focus on the fundamentals. I think the 19 fails me because I want to shoot it with the confidence of the 17 without the focus used to shoot the 26
Old June 21, 2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Jim Watson

I have read this a lot, originally from Massad Ayoob, coming back on the www recently.
However, I do not see many compact or subcompact guns in IDPA SSP or USPSA Production, except for those few people determined to exercise their carry guns at the expense of a winning score.
Old June 21, 2014, 09:22 AM   #14
camsdaddy

I really dont have any guns that I dont carry. Well except a S&W 3913TSW and a 22A. The remainder from 2" J frames to 4" K frames get carried as well as shot at the range.
Old June 21, 2014, 10:11 AM   #15
RX-79G

The G26 appears to be mechanically the most accurate Glock. Whether that's what's going on or not is a good question.

The M&Pc 9 is definitely more accurate than the quite a few of the full size M&P 9s.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Quentin2

While my G22 Gen2, G23 Gen4 and G27 Gen3 fit different, they all are comfortable and accurate. I like the feel of the G23 with no added backstrap better than the others and get better groups with it but it's not a huge difference. I'm comfortable using any of them.

Honestly, I can be satisfied with a Glock, 1911 or revolver, I've shot them so much over the years they just fit well and shoot well so each has its place. The baby Glocks are so good when you want small plus a doublestack magazine.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Let it Bleed

I always assumed that I found my G27 to have less, or at least no more, felt recoil than my G22, because of the dual recoil spring in the 27. These were Gen 3 Glocks, but I assume the dual spring is still used in all baby Glocks.

The 23 fits my hand better than the either the 22 or 27, but I never owned a 23. I've since sold both, as well as any other .40 cal pistol, just to simplify my ammo needs.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:48 PM   #18
SIMP

I am very accurate with my 26. I also own a 19 and have thought about getting a 17. Just bought an M&P9 full sized though. Love the feel of it.
Old June 21, 2014, 03:55 PM   #19
dsa1115

I too shoot my Glock 26 as good or better than my larger framed 9's. Despite the shorter sight radius, I believe the 26 has better lockup than the larger pistols. I don't know another explanation but the G26 is very accurate given its size.
Old June 21, 2014, 05:05 PM   #20
Boncrayon

Should I shoot my Glock 26 better than my 17

A barrel of any well made firearm shoots exactly were it's pointed. Your skills determine the "accuracy" with "Training...knowledge...skills...and attitude." If your grip, aim and breathing are applied (thumbs NOT crossed), any practice with a quality firearm will do you well. If you have to get another firearm to see if your skills are par, then you're not shooting strait at the bull's eye!
Old June 21, 2014, 05:36 PM   #21
wpsdlrg

I have no idea why, but I shoot my (2) Glock 26's better than anything else - EVER. I can't make a comparison with full size Glocks, because I've never had one (and it has been over 10 years since I fired one of those). But, I can say that, for whatever reason, the Glock 26 works for me better than any of the DA/SA's I have tried, full- size or not, better than pure DAO's, better than anything. That is why I recently transitioned to them....and bought 2.

I am very curious as to the actual reason(s) for this, but I am not about to fight success.
Old June 21, 2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

Mas Ayoob just had an article on this effect. He suggests that for some the smaller grip actually works better and the smaller sight radius allows more front sight and rear sight clarity, esp. with older eyes.
Old June 26, 2014, 04:40 PM   #23
joe-lumber

Glock 26

I installed Glock night sights on my 17 and was suprised that I still shoot better with my 26 also with night sights. I think I can hold the 26 tighter and keep it from jumping up on me. On both of the pistols I hold on to the front of the trigger guard as it seems steadier upon firing. Glocks fit my hand very well.
I have a Springfield SC 3" barrel and I used that to qualify for my CHL because I had the most confidence in it at the time.
The 26 is my major carry weapon as it conceals the best in the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast.
Guess I need to practice more with my 17 but it prints too much to carry concealed. Never tried to shoot my pistols Gangster style (sideways) Kidding!
Old July 3, 2014, 08:51 AM   #24
focodude

I shot a G27 better than a G22 at a Glock match around a year ago. I was very surprised! I'm 50 and wonder if it might have something to do with the point Glenn mentioned re: older eyes having an easier time focusing on the front sight. When I first held a G26 or G27 I didn't like them. They've grown on me though and I've found them to be great shooters.

Last edited by focodude; July 3, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old July 3, 2014, 06:53 PM   #25
glove

I shot my G26 better than my G19. Long story short sold the G19
anyway.